AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Hi all,

Any builders or potential builders in the Phoenix area are welcome to join us the next two weekends for some CycleKart fun.

March 18th 10-4pm Arizona Rockabilly Bash at Lake Pleasant Marina. We will be racing the CycleKarts around a track at the lake. Mini Bike racing too. Bring a hat its going to be 95 degrees. Sheesh!

March 25th our monthly meet up in Mesa. Falcon Field airport is having an open house that day including a car show, we may go early to be part of that and then head over to our usual secret location....if you want to know where that is, send me an email or a PM. The Falcon Field open house is from 9-2pm.
We are still finalizing some details on this one.

Our group here is growing and it's a very exciting time to be in this hobby.

Thanks EDITED Dates! Sorry 'bout the confusion.
Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-15 01:57 PM by SteveV.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Scottsdale Grand Prix 2016 8 wasp.jpg    68.4 KB
Scottsdale Grand Prix 2016 8 wasp.jpg

DavidnPHX Avatar
DavidnPHX David M
Steve the Rockabilly Bash 2017 event is March 18th...so um does that mean that april has one event and march one or march has both events?

DavidnPHX Avatar
DavidnPHX David M

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
OOPS my Mistake.

Both event are in March!

March 18th Rockabilly.

March 25th Mesa.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Great Work Arizona Chapter!
This gives those who say "where would I ever get to use a CK if I built one" new hope and an answer to that question.
As Dennis (The God Father) was probably asking himself 5 years ago while building his first CK, now look at you guys go!!!
And "secret location".......ooow that wreaks of the old "Renegade Racing" days.
Keep up the Great Work!thumbs up
Good Roads
PS
I wish Arizona was a little closer and that we had 95 degree weather in March......I shouldn't complain as it is above freezing again today for the third time this year.

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
We had a great time at the Rockabilly Bash at Lake Pleasant. We ran the karts on a dirt oval that was long enough to be fast and short enough to be safe.

The first race had 4 karts sliding around the track in dry conditions.

The second race had 3 karts sliding around in the mud....the water truck was generous.

5 karts came out to play and 2 of them suffered from spindle and or weld failures...luckily no injuries and no wrecks.

The winner of both races was the #7 VKC Jalopy driven by Carlos Carneiro. He is braver and a better driver than I am...for sure. He drove the tighter line around the faster part of the track and ate a lot of mud, see the pick attached.

Tons of fun, thanks for all who stopped by to say hi.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Attachments:
cyclekart at the bash1.jpg    66.8 KB
cyclekart at the bash1.jpg

Cyclekart at the bash 2.jpg    65.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
CycleKart at the bash.jpg    59.7 KB
Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Great Pictures
Thanks for sharing!
Did Dennis shot some Video........sure hope so.
Can't wait to see it if he did.
Good Roads
Brian

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1740072272984827/permalink/1823886937936693/

One of the race videos is here at our FB page.

This Report written by Carlos Carneiro--

This was Race 1 (of 2) at the Lake Pleasant Grand Prix, run at a temporary short track dirt oval at the Lake Pleasant Marina. It was the 1st Grand Prix of the 2017 CycleKart Grand Prix Season!! I won for Team Vast Mountain driving the #7 VKC Italiano (The Jalopy) after the Vast Mountain #24 car had a major and terminal suspension failure in the 2nd practice session. Dennis Thomas' BMW #35 had similar fate in this race, spectacularly caught at 1:25 in this video, and retired from this race. A very close 2nd place went to first time cycle kart racer Jason Williams driving the Viscount Vinson #7 (Jason was there racing mini-bikes and somehow found himself in a cyclekart grand prix!!!) . Steve Vinson takes 3rd place in the Monowasp #75.
With 2 cars out with terminal damage, only 3 cars lined up for race 2.
Result Race 2:
1st.Carlos Carneiro #7 VKC Italiano Jalopy,
2nd. Steve Vinson #7 Viscount Vinson,
3rd. Dennis Thomas #75 Monowasp

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-20 03:14 PM by SteveV.

Dennis Thomas Avatar
phoenix, arizona, USA   USA
1919 CycleKart Lightweight "A.V. Monocar"
1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer "Old Number 27"
1930 CycleKart German "The Boulevard Cruiser"
1937 CycleKart American "37 Studebaker Modified"
Thanks for the good reporting on last Saturday's outing Steve. I enjoyed sliding around the track like you say. I liked that is was hard packed fine granite, very nice surface to race on. On the other hand it was quite a challenge on an old school minibike. It felt like the front wheel could slide out from underneath me at any moment! It was still fun though. Here are a few photos. As you might expect I took some video and should have it posted tonight. Steve took some video and posted it on Facebook (click on my FB link below) if you would like a little taste of the action.

Link to Cyclekart videos http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh0MOBj4QLAYsl4XsfXHfWA/videos?flow=grid&sort=da&view=0

Link to Old #27 build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/Old%2027%20Build%20photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to Monocar build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/1919%20AV%20Monocar%20Build%20Photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to BMW Roadster build photos
http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/DThomas1925/library/1930%20BMW%203-15%20PS%20Wartburg%20Roadster%20build%20photos?sort=3&page=1

Link to my Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/dennis.thomas.7564

Attachments:
012.jpg    48.2 KB
012.jpg

010.jpg    58.3 KB
009.jpg    50.8 KB
008.jpg    39.3 KB
Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands   NLD
What happend to trhe front axle of the BMW Dennis?

lqbanotxano Ivan Martinez
Sugar Land, Texas, USA   USA
There are NO Cyclekart builders near me.

Your pictures inspire....

I am hoping to get an invite from the Arizona Cyclekart Club to one of their events.

My buddy that turned me on to Cyclekarts, has a brother in Phoenix. They are both "Car Guys" My buddy has agreed to drive to Phoenix for a Cyclekart event this year. We would stay with his brother & then participate in the event.

Itinerary
Leave Houston early afternoon Thursday...drive all night to Phoenix. Stay with brother Friday. Saturday participate in Cyclekart event. Leave for home after the event Saturday....dive all night. Get home early afternoon Sunday...drop dead......I mean rest.

Ivan from Texas (have everything on hand, 3-6 months from finishing)

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Same question as Rene.......would like to hear more about the suspension failures
that were mentioned. Might help to avoid future accidents where people could be
involved.

I might mention something that I've seen a lot of guys doing on the chassis and
suspension components. Since a lot of the guys aren't experienced welders
they pile a lot of weld deposit on to stick it together then get the grinder out
and grind most of it off so it looks slick, smooth and clean,
BAD practice!!!! Without the weld bead to gusset or strengthen the joint
you quite often end up with a weak joint. Especially where the part is subject
to heavy cyclic loads such as the supension components.
Time spent developing your welding skills and then leaving the weld bead
showing makes for a much stronger component. Some destructive testing
of your practice pieces can tell you a lot about what is to be expected once
the part is put in service.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Torro123 Avatar
Torro123 René Wesselius
Amsterdam, NH, Netherlands   NLD
I have to agree with you Denny,there are some fine examples showing of bad welding.
I think it has to do with the fact that welding machines are relatively cheap these days and especially mig welding looks like easy.
These hobby machines are sold everywhere at builders markets and even big supermarkets and the sellers don't know shit about welding so they can't provide eny advice to a novice welder.
People just put 2 pieces of metal together and lay down some pigeon pooh and test it with their hands..........if it sticks together the weld is good!
They don't know about grinding,bevel the sides,v-shape,x-shape,p-height or penetration,amps,volts,backing gas.........you name it!
They even weld outdoors in the wind rusty painted steel.
As a certified welder i have to make several test pieces every year and follow fresh-up classes to keep my license..........welding aint easy!!!!!!!!!
But on forums like this you often will be put away as annoying and picky if you comment on somebody's welding,they know better!
On another topic this photo was attached,i did not comment about the welds,i don't want to put enyone down or offend..........but??????do you think these welds will hold?

Attachments:
Brake system.jpg    52.8 KB
Brake system.jpg

Dennis Thomas Avatar
phoenix, arizona, USA   USA
1919 CycleKart Lightweight "A.V. Monocar"
1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer "Old Number 27"
1930 CycleKart German "The Boulevard Cruiser"
1937 CycleKart American "37 Studebaker Modified"
Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Watching your “Rockabilly Bash” video this morning Dennis, thanks once more for your
movie posts. A good thing to fill in my time while the eggs, bacon and coffee is stewing.
I noticed your “Track is smoother around the outside” note and the first thing that came
to mind was, but it’s shorter on the inside. It appears that thought hit home with everyone
a little later in the vid.

Thanks for filming that right front failure on the BMW. I guess in the end, those ruts took
their toll. It’s good to see it wasn’t the stub axle that failed. There’s been a lot of discussion
about the strength of a 5/8 vs a 3/4 stub axle. I thought you had mentioned in a build video
that you were using VKC stub axles, they look plenty sturdy and I haven’t heard of any of
them failing the test.

Why did you guys set up a short circle?? Obviously I wasn’t there so I’m probably out of
line again by commenting, but it looked like there was enough room to set up a long
straight, a chicane and maybe throw in a hairpin/switchback. Besides being more of
a challenge to the drivers, getting them up to speed down a straight would have shown
the capability of a CK’s much better?

I’d sure like to see a pack of 8 or 10 CK’s in a race instead of just two, three or four chasing
their own tails around in a circle, I think that would draw a lot more interest from spectators
and prospective builders also.

dg

OOPS....better back up, just finished my coffee and the end of the video....VKC stub axle
does look like it failed on the gold kart. Was it the weld or the axle???? Looked like the
axle broke right at the base of the bolt head.
dg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-03-21 09:44 AM by Denny Graham.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links