Narrower men / Wider tires

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
O.k.
Do replicas of 1960s era racers, economically built and powered similarly to cyclekarts appeal to you?
This is the place.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MalibuMan Cas Tuyn
Weert, Limburg, Netherlands   NLD
The only thing I am interested in from that era is the independent suspension with triangles. I like the pre-war looks better.

But I would not mind you building one as long as you stay in the spirit of cyclekarts.

I myself am planning a cyclekart with the looks of Austin 7 but with independent suspension.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
I get what you mean about the A arms. I love the front suspension on David Lake's sharknose Ferrari.
I myself don't have anything in the works as I'm still fiddling with my fist car. And my next
probably will be another early 50s car. But who knows? I just thought I'd give the subject a home
to see what people are thinking.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Dave,

Yes it's an interesting idea, there are some great cars from the 50's and early 60's which would lend themselves to being built as a cyclekart. It's also an era I remember as a child, before everything got too complicated and expensive. I'd be tempted to build one myself, but the Morgan has to be done first.

Chris

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Yes. These darned priorities.

chrisenamels Avatar
Oh yes priorities, mine centre on Mam, who as of today is 94, she's pretty good, but there are some things she can't cope with.

Other than her, and work, everything is geared to getting into a position where I can start the Morgan. Organizing a garden that had been left for some years before we moved in, part of which is to provide a working area for the build. Finishing off the work in the bungalow, to avoid earache from Mam because it's not finished, and I'm building a Cyclekart. Patching a trailer, so I can collect a scooter, collect the steel to rebuild the trailer and, for the Morgan. Then I'll be able to start the build, though I've already worked out how to make provision to convert the trailer to a double deck, for a second Cyclekart, and yes I'm a glutton for punishment.

Chris

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Well sure,

TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
One thought is traditional CK's use 17" diameter wheels, which work fine as most of the inspiration cars themselves used wheels at least a couple of inch's bigger.
When we get to the late 50's and 60's the wheel diameter drops rapidly, till we get 15" typical of the front engine F1 cars and then 13" of the cigar F1 era.
Is it worth considering, a post war CK would have to have a wheel 1 or 2 inch's smaller than it's inspiration vehicle?

chrisenamels Avatar
Some scooter wheels are very similar to the alloys used on cars of this era, and are available from 10" up to 14". The rears have splined drive, and a built in drum brake, so using two gearbox output shafts with a suitable tube to connect them wiuld give a plain rear axle, or stub axles for independent suspension.

I'd just settled on doing the Morgan, possibly followed by an Austin Seven racer that I saw at Gaydon, then this thread crops up. I now have to force myself to stop researching Cooper 50's / 60's racing cars and concentrate on getting things done. This does look tempting though! winking smiley

Attachments:
f057909a897bd8e96dae93b3fc1455dc.jpg    20.6 KB
f057909a897bd8e96dae93b3fc1455dc.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Which is why I give this a little push now and then. Just to keep it in consideration, and
naturally I'm trying to infect a few guys.

14" pitbike wheels, as Wes used on his Talbot could find a nice fit on some of these cars
perhaps.

chrisenamels Avatar
Dave,

Of course I wasn't researching, which is how I came up with these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272559660462?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649, with the disc mount as an attachment for a drive flange they could be used front or rear. On the other hand if you want artillery wheels in 16" how about these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEEL-SCOOTER-front-16X2-50-/282351537227?hash=item41bd768c4b:g:hmcAAOSwnHZYl2br; or these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WHEEL-SCOOTER-front-J16XMT2-50-/282351542079?hash=item41bd769f3f:g:CagAAOSwnHZYl1KZ.

I'm going to use pitbike wheels on the Morgan, either 14" or 17", still debating, but I can get the 14's complete with tyre for £2 more than the bare 17" wheels.

Chris

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Watch the number available to make sure you can at least find four of the same style. The 16" second one you posted, the guy only has one.

chrisenamels Avatar
Victor,

Fair point, I just picked up on them as examples or what's available, not intending to buy in the near future. Apart from anything else I want to see where this goes before parting with money, what I'd be looking to build would need 12 or 13" wheels.

Chris

gearguy Charles Schultz
Oil City, Pennsylvania, USA   USA
How about the first Lotus F1 car:1958 type 12?

Attachments:
lotus12.jpg    69.2 KB
lotus12.jpg

TheGIantTribble Avatar
Chelmsford, Essex, UK   GBR
Fine looking car, and not the most complex body shape neither.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1932 CycleKart Pre War

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links