CKC

Custom Karts Forum

Shrink Wraps

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I'm still envisioning my Cyclekart build and decision on the inspiration car and skill level considerations. I have had a thought on body works. I do not have an English wheel nor the skills to use one. I wonder if anyone used wood or foam shaping with a shrink wrapped finish. I plan on researching further to determine if thicker media is possible to give the finish some strength. If that is not feasible, I wonder if it can be of use as a release finish for the dreaded fibreglass application.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
Don't know about shrink wrapping, but lots of builders use FG over wood. You can get some very nice shapes with this method. Adding carved foam and glassing over it can make some tight corners.

My body is all wood, and simple shapes, I used FG over my engine cover. It was the first time I had tackled such a project, could sure do a better job next time.

But my kart is strong, and the body survived the Orchard race in Tieton, and they tell me that is the acid test.

Now to get some more power!

1929 Riley Bitsa

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I'm not aware of a shrink wrap finish process, but I vinyl wrap vehicles (among other things) for a living.
All the complex bodywork on my car is built up balsa strips over wood frame and sculpted foam then glassed over with 4oz cloth and epoxy resin. I wrapped the entire car in vinyl. It is light and quite resilient.

RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Thanks fellas, I guess there's no avoiding fibreglass. Just as well, I think it's the way to go anyway.

Randy

geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, California, USA   USA
Why not cover the framework with Fabric like they do on vintage wood and tube frame aircraft. As a retired aircraft mechanic who specialized in vintage and antique aircraft restoration it's fun to work with and light weight.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I was at a aircraft repair and restoration shop and saw this fabric.........it is strong too!thumbs upthumbs up
Woody

geezerduck Avatar
geezerduck Tom Petry
Montclair, California, USA   USA
It has a history in vintage cars too. The Nethercutt Museum http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/ has a beautiful small Bugatti coupe with a fabric covered body.

Life is good on the lunatic fringe, Tom

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1938 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links