AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, Florida, USA   USA
1900 Ford Model 01 "Quadricycle"
1908 Harley-Davidson Pre-War
1965 AC Cobra
I almost finished the Model T project I built for the grand kids to run around the yard. Just seat upholstery and a couple little details and I'll call it done.
This project was started when I decided to use up some of the stuff that has been laying around the garage. Things like a 6 HP Tecumseh engine, a centrifugal clutch, assorted sprockets and bearings, a mechanical brake caliper, and some 1 1/2 inch angle iron.
The car is built like a real Model T. The wood body could be removed from the frame in one piece and the car could still be driven. I made the steering wheel from solid oak, with steel spokes. The suspension is transverse leaf springs, and I made a rear end housing to contain the rear axle and sprocket. There a 4:1 reduction from the clutch to a jackshaft, and a 1.8:1 reduction from the jackshaft to the rear axle. The wheels are those cheap Northern Tool 16 inch with the half inch bearings. I wouldn't recommend them for anything but a toy like this. I don't know how fast it will go, but it's fast enough for kids.

Rick

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Model T 001.jpg    46.8 KB
Model T 001.jpg

Model T 002.jpg    46.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Model T 006.jpg    62.6 KB
Model T 005.jpg    54 KB
Antioch Bob M
Langley, BC, Canada   CAN
1929 CycleKart French "LR2 Special"
Nice work Rick... I am sure the kids will love it.

Rosengart LR2 special

http://rosengart.rzaplaser.com/rosengart-lr2-build/

Little French Avatar
Little French Silver Member Fabrice B
PUY DU LAC, Charente maritime, France   FRA
Ouaaou !! Excellent eye popping smileyeye popping smiley

Fabrice

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello Rick,
Magnificent HCR (horseless carriage replica) - great car for kids!

Any photo with details of transmission, engine position and rear suspension - better said: entire running chassis? (dimensions and weight, too?)

Best regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
Thanks. You can see some of the detail in these pictures. The engine is set just below the main frame rails, as far forward as it could be, and nearly touching the right side frame rail to leave room on the left side for the clutch and steering column. The jack shaft is just behind it under the firewall. The 40 tooth sprocket doubles as a brake disc. I wasn't sure how well that would work, but it'll lock up the rear tires easily. I don't have any dimensions right now (drawings are on my other computer) but the wheelbase is 52 inches, the frame width is 14 inches, the track width is 29 inches.
I'll take some more pictures with the hood off.

Rick

Attachments:
Model T chassis.jpg    49 KB
Model T chassis.jpg

Model T project 004.jpg    45.8 KB
Model T project 002.jpg    44.7 KB
Model T rear end 2.jpg    29.3 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
In reply to # 25622 by 1908Rick Thanks. You can see some of the detail in these pictures. The engine is set just below the main frame rails, as far forward as it could be, and nearly touching the right side frame rail to leave room on the left side for the clutch and steering column. The jack shaft is just behind it under the firewall. The 40 tooth sprocket doubles as a brake disc. I wasn't sure how well that would work, but it'll lock up the rear tires easily. I don't have any dimensions right now (drawings are on my other computer) but the wheelbase is 52 inches, the frame width is 14 inches, the track width is 29 inches.
I'll take some more pictures with the hood off.
Rick
=================================================================
Hello Rick!
Thank you for a generous answer to my questions!

Both the photos and information are extremely interesting and could be useful one day!
Until now, I built two simple kid-karts, on for friend's sons and the second for my granddaughter in Belgrade. Both of them must be pulled and steered by parents: neither possibility of independent propulsion (pedals) nor steering... The third one that I started shall have pedals and steering, with suspension. Most of the components are from old bicycles. Body/chassis unit will be of wooden monocoque...

Your solution could be useful for my 4th model, bigger and motorised, for older kids - maybe a place for grandfather too?
--- ---
For your wheels: I remember that constructors of HCR vehicles (horseless carriage replicas) used Northern Tools heavy-duty (garden-kart!) wheels but of bigger diameter. Mostly, they were not satisfied by quality, stiffness and strength and later use Worksman heavy-duty wheels (for freight-carrying bicycles, or three-wheelers and so on)...

Maybe I missed something, but did you install:

~ any kind of differential or power is on one wheel, or have free-wheels?
~ brake calliper is on sprocket at rear axle or at jack-axle?

Thank you again!

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
Hey Zoran.

There is no differential. It drives just the right rear tire, unless I put the key in the left rear hub. Having both wheels driving only works well on the grass, where it needs the extra traction to get going.
If you look closely at the picture of the engine, you can see the brake caliper on the sprocket next to the steering column, right behind the clutch. It was a pretty slick installation, with about a seven inch rod connecting it to the brake pedal.
The Northern Tool wheels are strong enough, but I had to true them up since they all were a little wobbly. That, and I can see after just a couple days of my grand daughter driving it, the rubber is not going to last long. The right rear is almost bald already.

Rick

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Rick,
Thank you for additional explanation!
I supposed that break is at jack-axle, but wasn't sure...

By all standards and regulations, brake(s) should be installed directly on the wheel(s) or at axle if it is of go-kart type (both wheels keyed to axle)... There is a possibility that chain could break or jump off the sprocket - that would let vehicle without brakes at all...

However, with so light vehicle and not big power, your system could be good. If you are not satisfied, you could add band-brakes at each of rear wheels, as some people here do that for kid-cars (shown some time ago in PUB sub-section). They are relatively cheap and simple and not very efficient, but should be good for your Model-T. Then, brake on jack-shaft could be left as emergency and parking brake?

So, keep the wheels, but new tyres (moped or scooter?) at least for rear wheels...

I am waiting for the first driving impressions of your grandkids!
(if you are not too heavy, you could solo-test it (for your joy and pleasure) instead of two kids?

Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

MideD12 Mike Dennis
Broadstairs, Kent, UK   GBR
IMHO that's a Lovely interpretation of the Model T with all the main chassis and suspension features represented realistically - I noted the dimensions but you did not say what the wheel size is ?
Mike Dennis
Broadstairs Kent UK

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
Thanks Mike.

The wheels are 16 x 1.75, sold by Northern Tool.

Rick

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
I'm not much for upholstering seats, but some vinyl and foam, a few buttons, and about three hundred staples and nails later, it's done.

Rick

Attachments:
Model T finished 008.jpg    53.5 KB
Model T finished 008.jpg

sherwayne Sherwin R
Jacksonville, FL, USA   USA
Looks great. I'm sure your grand kids will love it.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
1965 AC Cobra
Thanks, they do. They ran out a whole tank of gas the other day, just making laps around the yard.

I see you're in Jacksonville. Is there much cycle kart activity there? I'm building one, and I'd love to race it, but there's not much going on here. I plan to take my kart around to car shows and cruise nights to try and drum up some interest. Hopefully, some day we can have a "Grand Prix" like they do out west.

Rick

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 25896 by 1908Rick Thanks, they do. They ran out a whole tank of gas the other day, just making laps around the yard.

I see you're in Jacksonville. Is there much cycle kart activity there? I'm building one, and I'd love to race it, but there's not much going on here. I plan to take my kart around to car shows and cruise nights to try and drum up some interest. Hopefully, some day we can have a "Grand Prix" like they do out west.

Rick
And the movement continues to grow!
Good thought Rick.
Woody

Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
That is a slick little T.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1920 CycleKart Pre War

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links