Custom Karts Forum

Request for Assistance

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

15UqoEcl Avatar
15UqoEcl John Smith
Bay City, Michigan, USA   USA
Due to the passing of a family member, I no longer have at my disposal the knowledge or the extra pair of hands with which I'd expected to complete my CycleKart. I also now find that my situation demands I finish the project immediately, so that I might have an alternate form of transportation available. To expedite the process, I've downgraded to the most rudimentary of designs -- an unsprung frame of two-by-twelve lumber, to which I've attached what hardware I had bought. Where I have no experience, however, is in the electrical drive I expected it would have. The physical installation isn't a problem, but rather figuring out what parts I need to do the job. If someone here would be kind enough to walk me through the process, or at least refer me to another who might, it would be greatly appreciated. I can be reached by telephone at [reverse: 8127-623 (989)], most afternoons and evenings. Thank you.

P.S.: I'm not being hyperbolic when I say that time is of the essence, as there are life-changing factors involved that I'd prefer not to discuss here.

[P.P.S.: The reversed phone number is to hinder searches and help maintain privacy.]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-07 10:30 AM by 15UqoEcl.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RROLDSX Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Sorry for your loss, good luck with your project.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello John,
Sorry for your troubles!

You could find a lot of knowledgeable persons here in Club that could help you with advice, maybe even somebody near you who could help you in finishing your project.

It would be easier to help you if you post some photos and sketches of your project and more precise description of advice that you need.

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
15UqoEcl Avatar
15UqoEcl John Smith
I don't have a way to post photos, currently, so here's a description: The boards lie flat, angled to achieve about 16" at the front and 24" at the rear. The rear end consists of the Peerless differential. I have the hardware for connecting the wheels, but haven't done any drilling yet. I'm holding off on ordering the sprockets and such until I know what will be needed for the electric drive. I have spindles, bearings, and wheels for the front, but no other steering or control parts yet. For now, the front axle will be straight, and mounted directly to the boards. In short, it'll be little more than a couple of planks on axles, which it fine because it's just enough to get me by.

Some time ago, I did contact a couple of people on here. One was maybe a dozen miles away, but didn't have a CycleKart of his own. The other was part of a group down by Detroit, but that's just too far away. The goal has since changed to finding someone to advise me on which electric bits to order, so I can get the thing rolling. (I don't even need it to go all that fast; so a cheap kit might be fine for now.) Basically, I need a "plug and play" solution.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Silver Member Dave D
Federal Way, Washington, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Hi John.
Sad times. Sorry for your loss. Do I understand correctly that it's your intention to quickly put together
an electric powered cyclekart as alternative to an actual automobile? If this is the case, I would really hope I could have you reconsider this, before getting in too much deeper. Building a cyclekart of even marginal suitability for transportation use is bound to not only take much more time, but also likely more money than purchasing a cheap small used car. To electrify a kart alone can easily run $1500 for anything like a plug and play system. And even that will require a fair bit of tinkering to sorted out.
Not a good recipe when time or safety are of the essence.
I say this out of genuine concern for your well being. Cyclekarts are not safe or practical vehicles.
Even an old motorcycle would be a far better, cheaper and safer alternative. And you could use it immediately. If you don't ride, same for an old car.
Hope things turn around soon for you.

Bentaxle

15UqoEcl Avatar
15UqoEcl John Smith
I fear I'm starting to see hints of the old "I'm not going to help you get yourself killed" style of information gatekeeping, however well-intentioned it may be. I hope that is not the case, and that you'll trust that I have already examined the various perspectives and decided that the only ethical option at this juncture is to complete a rudimentary electric CycleKart.

Though money is not plentiful, the cost of a basic electrical system isn't an issue. If it weren't for the time-sensitive nature of the situation, I would continue doing the research and figure it all out for myself. As for safety, I want something just big enough to carry the groceries home at 10-20 mph. A moped won't do, and a car involves too much red tape.

I am also checking with acquaintances, locally.

John,

What about a GOLF cart or a quad cycle? They come with electric or gas and key start in both types. They have brakes, lights, and comfort that could meet your needs quickly. The price of electric for a cyclekart is as bentaxle ( dave ) said, a goodly sum of money and the batteries need tuning for battery stability and operation, unless you go lead acid, which are very heavy for the output and need a good structure for them to ride in.

I have to say as the others have, do look at alternatives before you go down this road of a cyclekart. Here is a link to craigslist in Lachine MI. for a Dealer in golf carts with a listing for $1500.00 ready to go. Were not trying to shoot you down but your request is hard to pin down with what you describe. You may have to consider road legal and state or county laws if you take it on the road.

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/sgd/d/golf-carts-gas-electric-great/6229051608.html

Good Luck!

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-08 09:00 PM by Mr fixit.

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
John,
Look into people in your area who have built or sell electric bikes as a resource for what parts you need.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

DOMIT William Smith
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
Suggestion: Buy an inexpensive electric moped/scooter. Convert it to a 3-wheeler similar to a Morgan (2 front wheels).

With 3 wheels it is still a scooter/moped. With 4 it is not. (At least in my state)

Brad

CmdBentaxle Avatar
Hey John. The Idea wasn't so much to keep you from getting killed, as it was to keep you from being disappointed. That said, I really like that golf cart suggestion for your needs. It would actually have some useful space, and you can rebody it into something cool when you get the chance. I've often thought about doing a golf cart based sportster of some kind.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. P.
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello,
I think that all of us must have more patience with John's request (as for anybody's else) and to read his writings more carefully – if we want to help him?

As I could see, he knows very well what he wants to build and why, and how and why he will use it later?

Please pay attention to his own words: „ ... only ethical option at this juncture is to complete a rudimentary electric CycleKart ...“

As I know, there are a few CycleKarts built with electric-power and it would be nice if constructors give him practical advice: how and where to buy and how to install kit-complete for electric propulsion of his motorised quadricycle...

Regards to John and all the best in finishing his project initiated by high moral attitude!

Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

CmdBentaxle Avatar
John, I'm sorry if my response came across as dismissive of your goal in any way.
I want to assure you that I read your words very carefully and gave them thought before I
responded. What I percieved by them was that you are in some difficulty, as well as grief of late.
My only intention, as one who has recently built a cyclekart, and also very recently seen up close the electric variety, was to suggest a reconsideration. This is motivated by a desire to spare you additional
challenge during what is already a difficult time. I am not one who goes in for hoorahing anything that has the word cyclkart associated with it. I am also not one to blow sunshine up people's backsides.
If I see trouble ahead for a guy, the only ethical course for me is to say so, rather than cheerlead you on.
I am no cyclekart guru, and I'm pretty new to this myself, but you asked for assistance.
That's the best I can offer.

Bentaxle

15UqoEcl Avatar
15UqoEcl John Smith
I'm not offended by people's thoughtfulness here, but as Zoran hinted at in the quote, there are several factors involved that I don't think need to be discussed. For the curious, though, one of the more practical ones is this:

Though a golf cart might indeed serve, a major down-side is that it is pre-made and relies on parts I'm not familiar with. Designing and building my own CycleKart, though, provides first-hand experience with the parts, and might help me recognize what looks, sounds, or feels wrong when something breaks. Aside from the electronics, I want to keep everything simple and easy to repair. (Even the choice of going electric helps minimize the number of moving parts.) Also, as far as I'm aware, golf carts are a borderline red-tape issue, like mopeds.

DOMIT William Smith
Fort Worth, Texas, USA   USA
If you went into greater detail about your requirements we could probably be more helpful. smiling smiley

15UqoEcl Avatar
15UqoEcl John Smith
I calculate the wooden planks as weighing around eighty pounds. The differential adds another ten. I've not weighed the wheels -- maybe five each? Let's assume that the motor would add twenty. A couple of batteries might add another eighty. With a seat, controls, sprockets, and so on, we can assume it will reach the specification limit of 250 lbs.

In time I hope to rebuild it with a proper frame and suspension, and add the plywood shell to make it resemble a Model AA truck. I suspect that will take the weight of the planks and just distribute it to other parts. I might also change the batteries, though again probably just replacing the same weight with ones of greater longevity. I might even exceed the weight specification, being that it's modeled after a heavy truck.

I recently read an Instructables article (instructables.com/id/Homemade-100-HP-Motor-Controller-for-an-Electric-C/) about how to make a controller that can drive a wide range of motor sizes, a design that I think serves my goal of being able to upgrade later on. The author even made it into a small business (pandspowerelectronics.com). He recommended a golf cart motor when I asked him, but I wonder if I could get away with something smaller.

My short-term goal is to be able to drive twenty miles on a single charge, with a gross weight of approximately 500 lbs. Speed is secondary to that, though 20 mph would be nice. Local terrain is mostly flat, though there is the occasional bridge with a long ascent.

My long-term goal is to improve the functionality of the vehicle as a truck, and drive about 50% more weight at the full 20 mph, over said inclines.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-08-11 08:58 PM by 15UqoEcl.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2015 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links