AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, Arizona, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
We had an opportunity to get unlimited track time this past Saturday at a fantastic local track in North Phoenix run by the AKA (Arizona Karting Association). The Flat Track motorcycle club rented the track for "practice" 9:30 AM till dark. We were invited to join there group for a day of 'practice'. To me this was a lot more fun and a better value than going to an organized race.

I ran my freshly built and stretched Doodle Bug mini bike with HF 212 power (39 mph on track according to GPS) and then jumped in the CycleKart and went right back out again. Fastest GPS reading on my CycleKart was 36MPH. I was tired and hot very quickly. But you couldn't slap the smile off my face.

My 10 year old son drove his #75 MonoWasp, he got so much track time...it was the best dad day ever!

Carlos Carnerio ran two karts from VKC. Carlos always puts on a clinic of how to get around a track faster than me, LOL. I have learned to not to try to catch him, he is very fast.

The AZ Mini Bike Riderz had an absolute blast racing.....ahem I mean practicing. I was able to follow their fastest bike, a Coleman with a hopped up HF212, but I wasn't brave enough or fast enough to catch him. If you haven't raced a Mini Bike, wow just so much fun. I am hooked.

I am going to look into renting the track for our local CycleKart Club and the Mini Bike Club. This is the way to do it. In the past we have gone to organized races and end up with so little track time. Its fun.....but an entire day dedicated to track time.....wow just fantastic.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
22090083_10212109673149466_2934329615295494166_n.jpg    28.4 KB
22090083_10212109673149466_2934329615295494166_n.jpg

22090097_10212109672709455_7096224779195736362_n.jpg    37 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
22090195_10212109671549426_7878850298944840639_n.jpg    49.3 KB
22154401_1436419119812786_2494300691819004621_n.jpg    66 KB
Carlos Carneiro Avatar
PHOENIX, ARIZONA, USA   USA
2015 CycleKart American "2015 VKC Italiano"
Just to add to Steve's info:

AKA Speedway is a 0.2 mile dirt oval.
It has somewhat of a "short paperclip" shape with 2 short straights.
The dirt surface is very hard packed and is very smooth for being dirt. It even has some rubber on the surface, laid down by continuous use by other kinds of karts running fat sticky slick tires.
The track has very good grip on regular cyclekart tires. Knobby tires proved not to be good on this surface.

I brought 2 karts down, #23 which is the VKC Racing Team's official factory race kart, and #24 (Black) which has become the team's official "backup" kart.
Kart #23 has all the upgrades and road tires, while #24 is completely stock and had knobby tires on.

I was there with 3 goals in mind.
1- Test kart #23's latest upgrades for Vintage Kart Co.
2- Set a lap record for this track.
3- Have fun.

Kart 23 had 2 very nice front suspension upgrades. An 8 degree caster piece, and a stronger and beefier spindle. Both proved successful upgrades. The caster piece makes the steering much smoother and improves the handling of the kart immensely. The stronger spindle's benefits are harder to gauge, but being a sturdier piece makes it safer and also contributes to the overall improvement of the front end's response. Kart 23 also had a new upgraded Honda GX 200 engine. Anyone currently running a "casterless" VKC front axle should looking into getting this upgrade. Its a simple fix that makes a ton of difference on the karts handling. Contact Vintage Kart Co. to get the parts.

Kart 24 is factory stock and has no upgrades. It was brought as a backup and to test what tires might be best for this track. I drove this kart first to get a feel for the track on a slower kart. I ended up just doing 1 session on it once I determined the knobby tires were the wrong tires for this track.

At the end of the day, best lap on kart #23 was a 00m18s17.
That is now the new cyclekart track record for the AKA Speedway.
This lap, on a 0.2 mile track equals an average speed of 39.63mph.
I did not have a speedometer on the car, but based on that average speed, I estimate my top speed to have been around 42 or 43mph at the end of the straights..

Kart #23's day was cut short when the exhaust pipe broke completely off at the base, and fell on the track.
I could have replaced it with a stock pipe, but decided to call it a day instead.
I believe I could have broken into the 17s lap range, and that will be the goal for next time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2017-10-02 09:00 PM by Carlos Carneiro.

Attachments:
casterupgrade.jpg    41.8 KB
casterupgrade.jpg

spindleupgrade.jpg    61.1 KB
IMG_6321.JPG    73.9 KB
aka.JPG    54.4 KB
Carlos Carneiro Avatar
PHOENIX, ARIZONA, USA   USA
2015 CycleKart American "2015 VKC Italiano"
The spindles photo on the previous post had the spindles labeled wrong (switched). This is the corrected photo.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
spindles.JPG    60.9 KB
spindles.JPG

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1929 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links