CycleCar Build Started - 1926 Razor

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
An actual cyclecar then. Sturdier everything I guess. Maybe the Harley wheels too?
The sound alone!!...

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Palm Harbor, FL, USA   USA
1900 Other Custom "1887 Serpollet"
1926 Other Not Listed "1926 Razor"
Lots of structural advantages to the Ash frame. Gluing, bracing and screwing everything together! The sound will be one of the best parts. Not sure if I'm going short drag type pipes or a exhaust pipe that continues down one side, like a Bugatti...

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
It looks like the cabin area is a little short (might be the pictures) have you jumped in there and test how well you fit?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Yes - Thanks! 24" tall in the rear and 23" tall in the front of the cabin.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I love ash, it turns out so nice. Some dark oil on it when it's done and it will truly vintage.

Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Great idea - Make it look like its from the '20's....

Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Update:

I priced mahogany strip lumber and found out it's really expensive. I found 1/4" X 1 1/2" X 10' pine strips at my local Lowes for $7.95 per board and decided to buy 23 pieces. I installed 3 new vertical bulkheads with glue and brackets. I brought the pine strip up to the cockpit with finishing nails. Will drive them in and use stainable wood filler so no one will know the nails are there. I ordered 200 brass flathead slotted screws and will hand screw all boards into place against the bulkheads. The pine exterior can be smoothed out with a sander. I'll leave the top open until I can install the steering column, steering wheel (found a 13" antique metal one on EBay), fuel system, etc. I ordered a 6" x 15" aluminum fuel tank to be installed in the rear on one of the bulkheads. Will wait to form the top of he rear deck after the fuel tank is installed.

I found this great Hood Ornament (actually a bottle stop) on EBay. Upon receipt I might have a metalworker remove the "Motor" and "Cycles" from the item and have it powder coated in brass. I'm now considering calling the beast a "Harley Davidson Cyclecar" vs. a "Panhard Razor". Will already have an Ironhead Harley Motor in it. Googled "Harley Cycle Car" and only came up with one picture of a car in parts and pieces. Your thoughts on the new identity?

I also found a really great picture of a cyclecar with a Mahogany wood radiator cover and a tin/aluminum/sheet metal engine cowling. I could have one fabricated and also have that powder coated in brass also....We will see as I progress..

Attachments:
12.31.172.jpg    42.8 KB
12.31.172.jpg

12.31.175.jpg    41.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
12.31.173.jpg    30.1 KB
HoodOrnament.jpg    73.6 KB
Lagoon777 Avatar
Lagoon777 Mark Sage
Moving right along - Another 12 hours invested over the weekend. Raised the vehicle up on 12" jacks to make things easier. Received gas tank (6" X 15" - 1.5 gallons) and figured out where to mount it on the rear. Rough fabricated and secured the rear bulkheads with brackets. Installed 144 brass screws to hold the pine strips in place on each side. Received 13" metal steering wheel from ebay (will powder coat black or copper/brass). Ordered a brass 5" mono light to install in the grill along and searching for a nice speedometer from the '20's that wont break the bank.

Next weekend will install the fuel tank and fule line to the engine compartment and smooth out the rough bulkheads in the tail for covering with wood strips. At that point will leave the topside open temporarily until steering mechanism, foot pedals, dash, electronics, etc. Will be working on a mahogany dash and radiator cover with pass-through air screen to match the body at some point in the future.

I have a lead on a Harley 45 and a Sportster 1200cc engine. Have to decide which way to go. Someone also recommended using a Harley Servi-car rear end. There are several on ebay from $350 to $1,200.00. Once sourced, will remove the body from the frame and reinforce the frame with steel bracing and then true it in. Still need to think through/acquire/engineer the front suspension, tires/wheels, etc.

Attachments:
1.8.18a.jpg    43.7 KB
1.8.18a.jpg

1.8.18b.jpg    44.4 KB
1.8.18c.jpg    42.2 KB
1.8.18d.jpg    35.6 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1911 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links