CKC

Custom Karts Forum

Fabricating friction dampers

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
You nailed it Rhys
Shipping from both of your last two locations to the USA or Canada make this a DIY projector me.
Even though I would love to have a set of yours....they looked beautiful.
So what was your final diameter on the lollipop circles. and did you make the spider washers from spring steel?
Thanks for keeping us up to date.
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Supporting Member <
Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
It still seems strange to me that freight of very few dollars (less than a slab of beers) is a stopper for some when the same will travel thousands of miles to events! Not getting at you Brian, and you have all the skills, so why not do it yourself. Need to measure the discs for you when I won't disturb the household manager. She wakes later than me.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Yes, it is already tomorrow there again isn't it?
And also Yes to how the human mind equates things when dealing with purchase.
For us in Canada right now, we have two things going against us; One is our government and all
of the idiotic rules we have in place to collect the money they think they lost since the "Free Trade Agreement"
with the USA & Mexico. Duty = no more on most stuff
Tax= double!
Brokerage Fees = some much that it makes it cheaper for me to drive to the USA (70 miles one way), pay fee to the place I have everything shipped, take the wife out for Mexican Food, have bars at the pub, pay the taxes on returning to Canada and driving home.
And our gas is at $1.19/litre.

The second is our dollar? It is costing me 30% more to purchase the same parts as it did last year at this time.
No chance of it getting better for at least the next 4 years, unless they impeach Trump!
So.......I just equate everything to wine. The part I hit Buy it Now for last night on ebay was...."should I have this and go with one less
bottle of wine tomorrow?" or think that it is $30 I shouldn't have spent on my cycle kart???
I have the equipment to build anything! Just have to justify the time (even though I am supposed to be retired, I still have the potential to make
money each day or spend it???
Brian

Frazetti Avatar
Frazetti Gold Member Kurt Seedhouse
Maple Ridge, British Columbia, Canada   CAN
Friction Pads for "Nostalgia shocks" I found Online

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Replacement-Friction-Pads-for-Offenhauser-Friction-Shocks,24984.html

Again these two pictures were courtesy of Revs Institute

Attachments:
download-32.jpeg    29.2 KB
download-32.jpeg

download-30.jpeg    20.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Woodysrods Brian Woods
I still can't figure out the significance of the irregular shaped centre holes in some of the pieces??
And the brass dust shield an who it attaches?
Does it act as another disc that would be against one of the finer friction dics?
I need to understand exactly which pieces turn and which do not.
Pictures, pictures, pictures, please!
Brian

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Just keeping this informative thread alive, and still looking for answers?????
Brian

Pierro Taruffi Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffs, UK   GBR
1923 CycleKart Vintage "Voisin Laboratoire"
PM sent Woody

k8ff1960 Avatar
k8ff1960 Wayne Smith
Cleveland, Ohio, USA   USA
Here is my version of friction shocks on my Bugatti. They are all aluminum with Plastic friction material (UMHW)

Attachments:
IMG_0010.JPG    40 KB
IMG_0010.JPG

Woodysrods Brian Woods
Beautiful!thumbs upthumbs up
Did you make your stars (spider washers)?
Brian

k8ff1960 Avatar
k8ff1960 Wayne Smith
I found the spider washers at a swap meet about 20 years ago, thought they might come in handy someday.. The guys in England that sell parts and rebuilt Hartford shocks show them on their website.

Woodysrods Brian Woods
In reply to # 23372 by k8ff1960 I found the spider washers at a swap meet about 20 years ago, thought they might come in handy someday.. The guys in England that sell parts and rebuilt Hartford shocks show them on their website.

So what is their diameter?
And what are the specs on your shocks?
Brian

Denny Graham Silver Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, Illinois, USA   USA
Hey Wayne.....joined 4 years ago, only 10 Posts? Did you post some pictures of
your Bug build in another thread? Like to see more about it. From the snapshot it
appears that it's all finished with paint and all.

Denny G

k8ff1960 Avatar
k8ff1960 Wayne Smith
Thanks for your interest in the shocks! The aluminum base is about 3" in diameter, they bolt to the frame with countersunk socket bolts under the inner friction washer. That is why you don't see any bolts on the outside other than the adjuster bolt in the center. The friction material was bought at McMaster Carr and cut with a hole saw then trimmed in a lathe to the correct diameter. The are completely functional and are quite adjustable ( fun to play with the adjuster) for a different rebound rate on the front springs. I will post more pictures after I bring it out of winter storage and begin to drive it again.

k8ff1960 Avatar
k8ff1960 Wayne Smith
I built the Bugatti about 13 years ago after viewing the Stevenson web pages. The body was built mostly from 1/4 inch birch plywood with an aluminum hood and grill shell, the tail is fiberglass over foam. It uses a typical drive train with the Honda GX200 and a Comet torque converter, hydraulic disc brakes and a homemade rack and pinion steering.

My current project is almost finished after 6 years, restoration of a 1976 Chevy Cosworth Vega (photo attached)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2017-04-01 02:27 AM by k8ff1960.

Attachments:
IMG_0112.JPG    45.2 KB
IMG_0112.JPG

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, Oregon, USA   USA
Nice Cosworth! I've always liked these. Another example of Chevy having a great idea then dropping the ball.Beautiful job!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Members Sign In   or   Create an Account

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1932 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links