AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
https://www.facebook.com/events/429086704185896/

I know many of you aren't on the Facebook. So here is the information for our upcoming event 9 AM May 19th.

Loren Richards has invited our group to his workshop to learn some basic metal shaping techniques.
You will want to bring your buck or form to have something to practice on. You will also need to bring some aluminum sheets to work with. Loren recommends .063 or .050 thickness 3003 h14 grade aluminum for shaped panels, but 5052 can work for panels that will have less shape...like a side panel. Bring your CycleKart if want, we may have an opportunity to run a bit and share our karts with others in the area.
This event is for Arizona CycleKart Club Members, if you want to attend, but are not a member, just send me a message.
Please respond here or on Facebook if you plan to attend so that we can have enough food for lunch. Thanks!

Space is limited so we really need an RSVP on this.

Address:
920 Heather Ln.
Chino Valley, AZ 86323

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
001.jpg    38.8 KB
001.jpg

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
deleted as per Rhys Nolan request.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-04-24 05:28 AM by Denny Graham.

Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
That sounds like a good learning experience. Too far for me. I went to a Gene Winfield metal working workshop/class a few years ago and learned a lot in that two day class.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fv8f9SUjI3s

Here is a short video of our day of learning metal forming techniques.

We had a great time and really learned a lot. Loren was so generous with his time and talents and showing us how aluminum sheet can be made into just about any shape.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
Photo 1 Loren shows us how to make a paper pattern. This is used to get the aluminum close to the correct dimensions. Make a template of one side, mark the aluminum and then flip the template to mark the other side. This make sure that both sides are symmetrical.

Photo 2 My son (Stevey Joe) and I are working with the English Wheel. The top wheel has a rubber surface. The rubber wheel will allow the metal to bend only one way. This put a very nice curve on the edges of the aluminum to form the hood piece that we had made the template from. It only took about 30 -45 minutes to make the entire hood.

Photo 3 The finished hood for Dennis Thomas' "Studebaker". It turned out really nice.

Photo 4 3D Printed AZ CycleKart logo. Loren has a 3D printer and made up a few of these for us.
Its amazing what those 3D printers can do. I am considering investing in one...image all the cool things you could make? Gauges, pedal covers, grills, Emblems....the list is huge.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Attachments:
Metal Shaping2.jpg    31.8 KB
Metal Shaping2.jpg

Metal Shaping.jpg    33.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Metal Shaping 1.jpg    28.1 KB
Metal Shaping 3.jpg    16.3 KB
Dave 46 Robert Davison
Toppenish, WA, USA   USA
Good stuff, I have a Harbor Freight English wheel that I snagged when the local store decided that they didn't want it taking up space on the floor anymore. I had to go back with the part number to buy the extra bottom anvils as they had them on the shelf in the back.

I haven't got to do anything except play with it yet though.

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
As a matter of fact, the HF English wheels are on sale right now, in case this thread inspired anybody (Predator motors too)

Looks like a great seminar! There's nothing like putting shape into sheet metal.

-Bruce

- Bruce

"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

internetcopyshop Avatar
internetcopyshop Internet Copyshop
Bilthoven, Bilthoven, Netherlands   NLD
That sounds like a good learning experience.

BonnevilleHighSchool Avatar
Ogden, UT, USA   USA
Is there going to be another?

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
No plans right now. But maybe.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links