CKC

CycleKart Events Forum

If I build it, will they come?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
My background is such that I will have no problem building a Kart, But there is one problem. I'm in Northern Colorado, and don't see many events at all, let alone near me. I've put on contests and games of all sorts, mostly car related, been the president of a local full size car racing club, and built and driven full size race cars, and I'd be happy to do it. In fact, I'd love it. But, I'm not interested in an event for three or four Karts. The venue would be no problem. How many folks would be willing to commit to showing up? I assure you, a good time would be in the works. I might even have a CK of my own ready.

The older I get, the faster I was

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-30 04:21 PM by motorbill66.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
On the basis of the way the GB scene is taking off, I would say yes.

Chris

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
For me, it would really depend on what all the event would entail. But it would be cool to get over there, ive never been to CO!

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
We have been looking for an excuse to go back to Colorado fro a couple of years now.
It is a long haul........but if it was a large enough event, and the right time of year, I am
sure you would have enough takers???thumbs up
Brian

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Tieton WA is about as far into the North West corner of the
USA as you can get for most of us. Poor Rick would have a
3,400 mile one way trip to make it there and dang near that
fur for the guys all the way up the East coast into Canada.
Now.....if there were an event, I mean a real three day event
with an autocross type circuit, some sort of a road circuit,
some decent hills, etc., with food & lodging close by and
camping facilities.
And.....if that were centrally located to all the corners of the
US of A......that might just be the ideal Mecca for the Cyclekart
community and that just might get the hobby off to the national
kick start that it needs.
And.......Bellvue, CO, with Ft.Collins, CO seven miles away and
smack dab in the middle of the country might just be the spot for it.
That's within a days drive for just about 90% of us, even the guys
from north of the 49th. Roughly speaking, it's about a 1,000 miles
in any direction with the last leg of the journey mostly on on nice
open roads leading to the event. That would be a 14-18 hour drive
for the vast majority of the guys. Head out after Breakfast and arrive
for evening supper, then spend three days talking Cyclekart with
guys form New York, Phoenix, Texas, BC, California, Florida, Illinois
Toronto, Minnesota.
Yep......all you would need is someone/a group, capable of organizing
a meet like that and "They Would Come".
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Woodysrods Avatar
And only about an hour and a half further for the guys that come to Tieton from NZ?eye rolling smiley
Brian

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Might even be closer.......the Great Circle Route?
G'night
dg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
A little over 1200 miles for me, but if there was a big national gathering, I'd sure go.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Like I said Dave, that spot would be just about smack dab in the middle for most all of us.
If we had something like that to look forward to in the summer, I truly think the Cyclekarting
world would make a banzai run at it.
The Summer High in July is around 81 degrees. The 5,134 ft elevation might tame down
the horses a bit and offer an additional challenge, no problem re-jetting but ya can't make
the air any more dense.
So......what happened to Bill W???? He's the one that planted this seed. Maybe he's
out in the shed getting that Cyclekart build started? Once the CK bug bites ya........watch out!!!!!
Or maybe.....since only four of the community have shown any interest his initial thought played out.
"I'd be happy to do it. In fact, I'd love it. But, I'm not interested in an event for three or four Karts."

That's the problem I noticed with slime dog. Great little track for a Saturday get together and only
three or four guys show up. That's the thing that I can't wrap my head around. One of the most asked
questions I see by new guys, and the old guys, is where can I race one of these??? Then when a
venue opens up just a hand full show up to support it. There isn't any thing at all going on around
Illinois, but if there were, birthdays, anniversary's, etc., wouldn't keep me away after putting all the
effort and investment into building one of these.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-02 02:40 AM by Denny Graham.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Probably waiting to see how many of us express interest.
Can't say as I blame him.

Woodysrods Avatar
Yes, scheduling is always a problem too!eye rolling smiley
As you can't please all of the people all of the time.confused smiley
But, for a large "National" event, long lead time would allow those really interested
to organize and prioritize their lives to attend!
Like Tieton!
There is no excuse not to be there if it is really a priority to you!eye rolling smiley
And yes events like Slyme Dawg would be more fun with more participants.....and
hopefully that will happen for them this year, with regularly scheduled events.smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
Well, I count about 8 or nine responses. I suppose there would be more prospective participants. Can anyone speak to that?
I have been researching venues, and I have little doubt that one can be secured.
Along that line, is the preferred surface pavement or dirt or some ratio of mixture?
How about hills? I seem to have heard a call for hills, and I love the idea, but remember that at this altitude we make about 15-18% less horsepower than at sea level. We need to be careful what we wish for.
I can definitely fill the weekend with the activities I am thinking about. Is the first day more or less arrival and set-up day in one of these meets? That's what I have found in many club events. How much of the third day typically has on track activities? I could fill all three days with racing, but that might tax the cars a bit heavily, not to mention the competitors and, and more importantly, their families, otherwise known as 'crew'.

Here are some thoughts for nothing more than discussion at this point.

1. Arrival and orientation concerning the whereabouts of lodging and campgrounds. There is no shortage of campgrounds! This is, after all, a tourism destination state. Perhaps a short meeting.
2. Autocross. We'd have to set one up in one of the huge parking lots around. Not really a problem.
3. Funkhana. Dumbass silly games played with cars. I've put these on at least a half a dozen times. Perhaps there just won't be time. I don't know, but people laughed their butts off at the ones I organized.
4. Has anyone proposed a concourse segment? HEY! they're ALL beautiful!
5. Organized dinner. There are a bunch of restaurants that reserve meeting/eating rooms.
6. Hotel/campground reservations?
7. Driver's meeting.
8. Off site activities for those who know better than this silliness
9. Should we try for a date that aligns us with a local car show? There are pros and cons.
10. Refreshments. and snacks?
11. Finally! Racing: Paperwork associated? Like waivers, etc?---:
12. Practice (perhaps between races as well as before.
13. Heats
14. Trophy dash
15. Main event(s)
16. Advanced registration?RSVP?
17. Insurance
18. Entry fee $?

Now I will throw us into a discussion.
Many of our cars would have been eligible for The Indianapolis 500. Some fierce and memorable battles were fought in those days, so. How about an oval race?
A lifetime ago I began my racing career driving a Formula Vee. Then I moved into Formula Ford, which I enjoyed immensely. Being of relatively modest means, it was a tough slog. It ended on the downhill turn at Limerock Park in Connecticut with a broken back. We could no longer afford to be competitive, and I wasn't interested in any race I had no realistic chance of winning. What's the point? Eventually I heard about four cylinder outlaw late models, and went for a look. I figured it would be a come-down from the amazing battles and victories of small bore formula cars. Geez, was I wrong! The competition was, if anything, fiercer. It took me longer to become competitive than it did in the FF. I'm familiar with small engined racecars big time! I began to see what it was about. If you like dicing with other cars you'll be in heaven. After a few laps on a short oval, the cars spread out a bit, but you will never be lonely out there. There are always cars around you with whom you can play. Believe me, it is NOT boring. That said, if nobody wanted to take a chance, we'd do a road course.

One thing is a certainty. I can't do this alone. My wife, Linda, may be one of the best organized race officials ever. I know (I've spoken with her) she'll be glad to be involved if we treat her nice! She was the timer and scorer in my stock car club days, and she could keep track of a load of cars at once. The guys were all thankful for her to say the least. But we will definitely need more bodies. I noticed there was a member in Fort Collins. I'll try to get hold of him if he doesn't see this and get to me first. I hope he will, since It'd be good to know he's still an enthusiast rather than just a lurker.

We obviously need exposure and promotion. I'm an artist. I'll be only too happy to pitch in with whatever is needed in that area. If we could hold some or all of the event in full view of the interstate, we'd certainly be seen. I know it's not exactly a bucolic setting, but that could be the price of popularizing the hobby. I really would need to know how many competitors to expect in order to accommodate parking. I'd like to think we could pull this off soon, but maybe it would be wise to wait for next year so that eevereything would fit in and run smoothly. We all no that no matter how much planning and preparation we do, stuff will still come up.

That's my opening. Let's start talking (with our keyboards) I'm not THAT old.

Bill Wardlow

The older I get, the faster I was

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Boy Bill, thought you had abandoned the idea, but if you could pull this off, dang near all you've
mentioned would be great. I don't think mustering a crew of volunteers during the meet would
be any problem at all.
You can get a much better idea of what the guys have been up to in the past years at Tieton, WA by
watching Dennis Thomas's videos. He covers the event very nicely and really gives you a feel for
what the Gitterville bunch has been doing.
Glad to see you're still interested. Lots of us old time gear heads have shelved the expense of the
high performance machines for something a bit more tame in our old age. I threw in the towel
on the midgets and aerobatics decades ago, all of that, is much to hot for me now and not
suited to a fixed income in retirement. But I still need something to keep me limber and my
reflexes up. So...I'm hoping the Cyclekarts will fill the void for the next 24 years till I check out.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Bill
Two thumbs up from my endthumbs upthumbs up
And yes, Have ideas I would like to share with you.
My history has been a lifelong involvement with cars, clubs, and organized events, as my
working profession was as a Municipal Recreation Director for over 20 years, before moving
on to open my own Street Rod Shop (last 25 years).
Unfortunately I am off to my Daughters for the Super Bowl game right now (car is running in the driveway)
Will get back to you later!smileys with beer
Again ....Thank You!
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Bill, if you can possibly make it out to Tieton this June, it would give you a great foundation of understanding
to build on. Talk to the organizers, drive a bunch of cars, and get the feel for what you would, and maybe wouldn't like to emulate. You will meet people there who have made it happen for themselves and for others and love to share it. Like Denny said, hit YouTube and consume every video they've got. The SlymeDawg stuff too, where we run on a dirt 1/8mile oval. Also check out the Arizona guys, who have run on many oval tracks as well.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1921 CycleKart Vintage

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links