CycleKart Events Forum

If I build it, will they come?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Bill
Dave said "exactly" what I was going to tell you (he obviously did not watch the Super Bowl)
so need to repeat it..........But Ditto!
Brian
MY PS
Would have been to suggest at least a year of pre organization, not so much to get the venues,
and the events scheduled and organized, but for enough lead time get the participants in line.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
Guys,
It certainly seems as though we're on the same page, and with the talent I detect here, we could have a great event. Northern Colorado is an outdoor activity friendly place. Given that extra year I know we could put on a first class weekend. But, you're right. I need to see the cars and get the 'feel' of the group, which at first glance is a great bunch of people. I'll try to rearrange a bit of vacation time and see if I can get to Tieton in June. It'd be great to meet the group.

I hope to clear enough off my plate to build a machine for competition (super low pressure. I'm done with willingly self induced stress). But, I hate to reproduce what someone else has already accomplished. I've got tons of reference, but I want to pick something fresh. I'm a big time Miller fan, but I think I've seen those done. Anyhow, does anyone have a list, even an approximate one, that lists the drivers and/or cars? I'd dearly like to see one. That said, if nothing else comes along, I'll just create one of the typical 'Specials' from the thirties. Many that were done on Austin 7 chassis were actually small to begin with. Proportioning will be easier that way anyhow. But that list. I need a list. Is there any way to get pictures of most of them other than freezing the videos? If you want to promote the activity you'll need lots of good quality photos.

The older I get, the faster I was

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
I'd also like to hear the group's thoughts concerning the various points I raised in my second post on this thread. I don't mean to be too forward like a lot of people who come on with a big hat and no cattle. I keep my commitments, and if we decide to do this you can expect a first class weekend. But first I need some information, and I know you'll supply it.

In a different area, Has anybody ever officially codified the rules? People who are interested want definite direction. As nice as it would be to stay totally informal, if you want it to grow a club, you need to supply definition.

I see where somebody has a performance oriented view of things and wants to build 30hp motors. I'm not interested if that's the case, because at that rate we'd need belts and rollover bars. That said, I have no clear idea of what performance to expect at or near sea level, but I doubt it's neck snapping. I wouldn't mind seeing the horsepower capped at ten stated by the manufacturer. But, and I'm sure some of you old former racers know, you really have to watch that mission creep. Maybe nine?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Carlos Carneiro Avatar
PHOENIX, AZ, USA   USA
2015 CycleKart American "2015 VKC Italiano"
I would go to such event in Colorado, so count me in. thumbs up thumbs up

Also, we (AZ Cyclekart Club) have been trying to get a similar multi-day event here in AZ, for couple of years now.
I believe we are getting closer to bringing all the elements together to have something that would be attractive enough to be worth the time and travel expense of out-of-state participants, but we're not quite there yet.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 03:17 AM by Denny Graham.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I counted 29 karts in the registry here that I know to have been entered at Tieton in years past, plus another 10 who have planned to. There are still more who have never been members here, but might still be interested.
The vast majority are based in the Pacific Northwest so you can imagine the potential for a national meet.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
delete

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-18 03:17 AM by Denny Graham.

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Bill
If the same rules and limitations that are posted on the Giitreville site were used,
then those have already been participating for the past 5 seasons , and those that have been
building under those guidelines so as to be able to compete at Tieton.
As far as I am concerned "Tieton Grand Prix" is already the established "National Event"......
It is actually an "International Event" having already had entries from USA, Canada, New Zealand,
and the UK (all in attendance at one time in 2017)eye rolling smiley
Thus, the number of CK in and around the PNW!
I too agree, that Arizona was the next like candidate for a large event.
I am still working on the possibility of a Canadian Event and am scheduled to make a presentation
on Feb 20th to our local Events Committee.
Biggest snag is "Insurance" hard to get for racing oriented events, and when available it comes at
a high price.
I am 1258 miles from Bellevue (three day drive at my a age pulling a trailer)
Tieton to Bellvue .........1112 miles via I 84 & I 80.............1237 miles via I 90
I am 318 miles north of Tieton.
Just more for your consideration.
Brian
PS
Google........Miller 91 Electric to see Doug's Miller project (Tieton Grand Prix Organizer) his second Miller.
I am currently finishing up the build on my Miller 122, and Rick down in Florida has just finished his beautiful
1935 V8 Miller CK.

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
Cyclefolks,

OK. With a little mental footwork our vacation schedule and direction has been slightly altered so that we can get to the Tieton event. I'm looking forward to meeting with the group and enjoying the action. I've also been sketchily working out various programs and details. It'll be good to speak with folks to find out what they do and do not like in a program such as we are exploring. I guess I need to get a name of someone for whom I should ask when I get there. Not all active groups have official leaders, preferring to keep things loose and informal, but every club or small organisation has a 'spark plug' who becomes the face of that activity and its greatest promoter/cheerleader. That's the guy I need to talk to. Maybe a few of us could put heads together for just a bit to get ideas germinating. In any case, we are looking forward to seeing the CKs, and more importantly, the people involved. In the end, that's what it's always really about. I can't wait to swap lies about racing, etc...

Let me know,

Bill Wardlow

PS This is actually some kind of kismet. We had been planning a touring trip into the Northwest this Spring, and have friends in Florence, Oregon. We had been discussing it when I found Cyclekarting groups and we began conversing online.

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Bill
Will PM you with some more needed info and insight into Tieton.
We to have a couple of friends in Florence, and visited there on 3 separate occasions.
last year. Teardrop & Hot Rod friends.
Brianx

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Oh, Bill?
Just a bump here to keep the thoughts percolating.

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
I'm here. I've just beern consumed with a couple of less satisfying, or at least unfulfilling, matters. I monitor every day though, andsd I will have plenty of questions and req

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
I'm here. I've just been consumed with a couple of less satisfying, or at least unfulfilling, matters. I monitor every day though, and I will have plenty of questions and requests for info.

I'm working on a chassis design and I'm not yet so worried about the body. However, I would like at least a rough description of what cars have between modeled so I don't duplicate them. It seems kind of like all the popularly recognizable machines have already been 'taken'. I'm not whining, and I'll find something. I'd just kind of like to know.

We've been mostly in the concept stage for the event, and we've conjured up some really fun stuff. The event, if current thinking prevails, will not take place this August. WE need more time to line everything up, and the extra year will be well spent. I wish we could do it this Aug, but with all the other obligations in which I've become entangled, it just wouldn't be smart.

Motorbill

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Bill
I do hope that you are still considering attending Tieton!smiling bouncing smiley
And that the information I sent you, helped to give you a better idea of what the event is all about,
and what to expect when you get there.
Brian

motorbill66 Avatar
motorbill66 Bill Wardlow
Bellvue, CO, USA   USA
Yes, Brian,

The info was most useful, and we are indeed still planning on attending the Tieton event. I will have more questions, to be sure, but I'm sure you can keep me up to date, along with this cool site.

Motorbill

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links