Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Events Forum

Midwest event possibility - Blackhawk Farms

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Silverghost Peter Hays
Chicago, IL, USA   USA
Blackhawk Farms is a racecourse located in South Beloit, WI. They have go-kart events there a few times a year. On their Facebook page recently, they announced a new event coordinator - Cindy Lindstrand. So I made a comment would they please consider adding cyclekarts to one of their go-kart events. I was pleasantly surprised to receive a response from her: "How many cyclekart racers would be interested and on a 2 mile track, how many laps would you race?" The door is definetly open to having some sort of event there so who's interested? I took a quick look at the member map for the greater Chicago area plus and it looks like there are 50+ members of this forum in the general area. Plus more if people are willing to travel. Take a look at the Blackhawk Farms website - www.blackhawkfarms.com - to see what the track is like, the sorts of events they have, etc. This could be a really fun event and help spread the word about cyclekarts!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Blackhawk is a great road course, for cars. I'm not so sure about cyclekarts.
I ran many races there in my sports car racing days. It has a couple straightaways that are fine in a car going well over 100 mph, but in a cyclekart going 50 or so, they would be brutally long.
That being said, I would love to race my kart there. That would complete my racing career at Blackhawk. I ran my F-prod Capri in Midwestern Council races, my T-Bird sportsman stock car in a Mid-American Stock car series race there, and now the kart? That would be awesome.

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
Being on a long straightaway for an hour between turns, Surely is fun .....gear em high boys!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
If that's a 2 mile track, then the front straight can't be that long. Looks pretty easy to do the whole track flat out.

S'all for now!

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
The front stretch is four tenths of a mile. The straight leading to the last turn is three tenths of a mile.
None of the turns are real sharp, except maybe turns 3B and 6, both right handers.
You say it looks pretty easy to do flat out - that's my fear. A race like that would not be the most exciting.
I'd still do it though, just for old time's sake if nothing else.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
That's the issue with a hard course and slower vehicles, they never have to brake too much. The old Gordon Bennet Cup was a combo of hard, loose and solid dirt, which was a lot of fun.

If you want exciting cyclecart racing, put some sand on a couple of the corners.

S'all for now!

Carlos Carneiro Avatar
PHOENIX, AZ, USA   USA
2015 CycleKart American "2015 VKC Italiano"
Its nice to see a racetrack with an open door to cyclekarts, but from a driving perspective it would be extremely boring to drive this entire 2-mile track in a cyclekart, even if flat out.
But it is still a great place, whoever decides to take this forward just needs to use a smaller area, like the front straight and pits area, using both the pavement and grass to cone out a more challenging and exciting two-surface circuit.
Better for watching too (action would be much closer to fans friends, family, and race marshalls). thumbs up thumbs up

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Carlos is right.
It's not the size of the track that's the main thing here.
It's the acces to a motorsports facility. The layout can be adjusted.

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
I doubt it's boring as mentioned....racing wheelbarrows at two miles an hour would be fun as long as they're all the same ...slow gokart courses are loads of fun for everyone too....there's no real race drivers here so all in all it should be fun and there will be times when you wish maybe the straight was ten feet longer.
Would a Cannonball Baker type run across country be boring ? Of course not....might take awhile but there would be fun.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Its still "only" a 30 or so second main straight.
Throw a haybale chicane in there and you're in business.

internetcopyshop Avatar
internetcopyshop Internet Copyshop
Bilthoven, Bilthoven, Netherlands   NLD
None of the turns are real sharp, except maybe turns 3B and 6, both right handers.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1924 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links