CycleKart Events Forum

Re: Tieton 2018!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
They want to create a loop around the wharehouse block for free driving instead, if possible.
Testing and sampling without upsetting the evening rush hour traffic.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
RallyAJ Andrew R.
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
1910 CycleKart Vintage "The Cantraption"
Hi All,

I first found out about CycleKarts in 2015 from the Petrolicous article. Then I found out about Tieton, which is only about 4 hours away from me. Fast forward three years and I've finally got around to building a kart.

However, the project has turned into a last minute fiasco (like all my projects seem to). The frame is built and works (for now), and tires are due in next week. I have not even started on the body, which was slated to be a high tech 3D printed thing, but may end up being cobbled together from foam and cardboard.

I have two questions:

1) What can I do for lodging?

and

2) Do I need to show up on Friday, or can I show up Saturday morning and still compete?

Any local to PDX/Vancouver, WA help would be appreciated. Also, if anyone would want to split a hotel room for the weekend I would not be opposed to that.

Thanks,
AJ in Vancouver, WA

Attachments:
34316958_1733025676781133_8649354158870102016_o.jpg    61.7 KB
34316958_1733025676781133_8649354158870102016_o.jpg

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, OR, USA   USA
1921 CycleKart German "Chitty"
Hi AJ,I live in Hillsboro,not sure what kind of help I can give.Im the one who built Chitty,I know how you feel.I got maybe 5 minutes drive time before loading up to go.Have you already paid for the entry fee??If you havnt good luck getting in,but im sure if you have they can find you a Kart to share with someone.Once you have proved yourself worthy,(LOL) they will warm up.Took me a couple years but I have made some friends along the way,Dennis Backstrom,Dennis Thomas,Johnny ,and several others,I help out when they break,Im a good welder and fabricator,can make do with what I have to work with.Had many Karts break a couple years ago out in the orchard.Mine had chain issues the first year,then the belt burnt up.The second year I had steering issues which I still have to fix,I would go this year but cash has been tight due to my being sick for a couple weeks.I live out near the Hillsboro Airport and have a 20x30 shop to work in,let me know what you need help with

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Hi Andrew.
They put a hard date on registration closing June 1st.
That said, I'd try anyway. Email Brandice as outlined in the first post.
You must sign in Friday, and you won't be able to register on site in any case.
I'll bet you can still find a room in Naches, about 10 min. away.
That's where I like to stay.

RallyAJ Andrew R.
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
I guess I wasn't clear, I already registered in time, no problem there. I would very much like to avoid having to get next Friday off as it's rather short notice...

-AJ

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
So, the problem is that by Saturday morning, having moved on to other event demands
no one is likely be doing tech inspections. Saturday morning is a madhouse around there.
You'd have to talk someone into it. Tech is pretty much all those guys do Friday. Then the same dudes are eyeball deep in Grand Prix stuff next morning.

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, OR, USA   USA
They will all be getting ready to drive out to the gravel road race course which is brutal on my Kart climbing the hill.Basic Tech is does it stop well,do you have a helmet and long sleeve shirt or coat,gloves not required but I suggest some in case you tip over,tires and steering safe as in NOT LOOSE,well assembled/not chicken poo welds ready to fall apart,just basic safe that you wont hurt others,its all about safety when it comes to these because we dont want any accidents which can end all the fun real quick!!!No fuel leaks,its best if you keep a fire extinguisher close by if not for you maybe another person,extra fuel can and extra parts such as tube patches,nuts ,bolts,tools that you can fix it if it breaks,extra belt if its belt driven,maybe an extra wheel in case one gets bent.I took lots of tools,my welder which I used it alot,compressor,grinder,drill,FAN!!!! It gets hot over there!!!! Lots of extra cash for shirts and other things you might need,maybe an extra motor for parts

RallyAJ Andrew R.
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Tech? Is there a rule set somewhere? I've been competing in sanctioned events with real cars for some time now and I've gotten used to the "unwritten rules" aspect of tech inspections, but at least they provide codified rules to refer back to. Not yet found much for cyclekarts. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Don's info is NOT current.

The orchard race is not till Sunday morning.
I had better know this because I am officiating it.

Long sleeves, helmet, and gloves are all required for every event
there.

In my opinion, your taking a chance coming in Sat. a.m.
But I'm not running tech, so...?

RallyAJ Andrew R.
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Eh, I'd rather not have to take the day off, but it can be done. Good to know about the gloves, I already have a set of flame retardant ones from that one Alfa club trackday and a closed face SA2010 helmet form doing RallyCross, etc. Any other unwritten rules I should be aware of? The car is kinda wide and heavy, but otherwise pretty standard. Stock Predator 212, disc brake, a real Comet TAV30, Honda trail 90 wheels, Azuza axles and spindles.

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
So with registration closed, how many entries do we have?

CycleKart is ready, tools and spares, driving gear and gas, trailer is prepped.

I’m excited, let’s get this show on the road!

1929 Riley Bitsa

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
The safety gear requirement was written in last year, but wasn't this year.
An oversight, I'm told. Of course they'd still like to see it.
The tech is just a good general look over for sketchy stuff. Not sure about the weigh in, but they had it last year.

What is your inspiration car, Andrew?

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, OR, USA   USA
Weigh in?? Damn,with me in the Kart I would break the scales,LOL.Im a little over #300lbs,Chitty does me well,but not so good climbing hills.I used to race stock cars and I know what will pass tech inspection and I also know whats safe,have owned and raced KT100 dirt karts for 10yrs.If you bring the stuff I listed you shouldnt have any trouble with Tech.Aj if you think yours is heavy,think again!!! I think mine is the heaviest of the bunch,im using gearing to help with the weight issue,which explains the belt burning up.Im thinking of building a lighter Kart for just this event and use Chitty for Parades & shows

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-06-07 08:27 AM by fly44.

Attachments:
DSC03216 (1).JPG    66.5 KB
DSC03216 (1).JPG

fly44 Avatar
fly44 Don Nothwang/c
Hillsboro, OR, USA   USA
Thanks for the update,havnt been there since 2016,looks like many things have changed this year.Say Hi to the guys,wished I could be there.I will be watching for all the youtube updates from Dennis,drive safe and hope to see you guys next year.AJ feel free to drop by anytime in the future,maybe we can get something going here on this side of the world that is part of Rose Festival.I do have some ties with PIR that might make it easier to set up

RallyAJ Andrew R.
Vancouver, WA, USA   USA
Bentley Blower is my inspiration car. My buddy is working on a 3D model for the nose, then I'm gonna do formed sheet steel for the hood. Hopefully all goes well and I have it done by next Friday!

Thanks for the offers of help, I appreciate it.

Attachments:
bentley blower.jpg    26.7 KB
bentley blower.jpg

bentley cyclekart.jpg    44 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links