CycleKart Events Forum

Who likes racing?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I hope your events catch on.
We seem to be moving backwards in AZ in terms of number of cyclekart events and participation interest...
[/quote]sad smiley
Hi Carlos
What is going on?
Your members seemed so hung ho!
Did you go in the Fiesta Bowl Parade.
Have you any newly interested wannabes?
What happened to one event each month?
What is Dennis up to? We have not heard much from him lately???confused smiley
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37800 by Figboy289 I ran at an autocross last year it was an official SCCA SOLO event , I had to have the roll bar, and harness but it was something I was preparing anyway for the hillclimb events. The timing was automatic, a great event in a water park parking lot "off season" other than the timing and finding a legal location , you just need a bunch of small cones . If you were not out on the course you had to watch cones and replace them if they got knocked over.
Tell us more about your CK Bob.....?????????
Love the wheel treatment??
More info Please.smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

Figboy289 Avatar
Figboy289 Bob L
Port jefferson, NewYork, USA   USA
1903 CycleKart American "Baker Torpedo Kid Replica"
I put "the build" in the journal section about 8 little sections on the car design and construction process. I have a "one pager" on it as well I will try to post it

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Figboy289 Avatar
Figboy289 Bob L
here is the one pager

Attachments:
Baker torpedo kid.jpg    70.6 KB
Baker torpedo kid.jpg

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
I would do as many as I could being 300 miles away. I am in Pomona CA until Monday and than on to Phoenix for the next week and a half, than back to Spokane by the Feb 11 so Feb 2 is no good for me.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
I have been in the autocross community in the PNW (SCCA, WWSCC and BSCC) for the last 15 years. I think the idea is good, but I don't think they would ever allow cycle karts for safety reasons. We would want to talk with the resident safety steward - he will be the main hurdle. Main things they will want to see: seat belts (as someone already mentioned), roll bar, and - the tough part - each car will have to be shown to have a sufficiently low CG so it will slide instead of roll when corning at the limit. For production cars, they do that using factory data and testing and high CG cars are not allowed to compete.

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Ben
How is the CycleKart coming.......we have not had an update for a long time????sad smiley
We all know priorities change and sometimes life gets in the way of our dreams!confused smiley
Brian

Figboy289 Avatar
Figboy289 Bob L
agree with bensko, When I started the SCCA solo/autocross tech process they pointed me to the roll cage section of the SCCA General Completion Rules ( GCR). it has minimum roll bar dia. and wall thickness by weight of car. in section 9.4.5 that covers formula cars. The min tube size listed is 1.375" x .080" wall for cars 1700 pounds and lower. A basic bolt in roll bar could be designed I suppose . Mine is a bolt in. I went up a size to 1.5"dia .095" wall and had to fabricate a removable harness bar so I could get the body on and off. I used Camberg connectors. Roll bar bracing can be small tubes 1" x .080". They also look at front hoop at the steering wheel location . With a driver seated a straight line from the main roll hoop to the from hoop must clear the helmet. I also had to have duel master cylinders and a harness with up to date certs . it may be easer to just go to an autocross and ask, they may have some flexibility. the tech guys did not get into the center of gravity thing, I suppose they were ok with the roll bar and just let it go. A few pix of the roll bar build for the BTK999

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 03:07 PM by Figboy289.

Attachments:
100_4933.JPG    67 KB
100_4933.JPG

100_4936.JPG    69.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P1000691.JPG    39 KB
P1000700.JPG    67.4 KB
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Hey Ben, long time!
How is that kart coming along.
Yep. As soon as Justin brought up autocross, my fist thought was that I would be delighted to have a go with my kart. But then I remembered iron rule of the saftey stewards in the game. I got bounced at one event for not having adequate battery mounting, although I was using the factory mount!
Still, it might come down to getting the right old boy on the right sunny day.

Woodysrods Avatar
Missed you on the Chat Room Dave
Just talked to Don for a bit.
Brian

bensko Avatar
bensko Ben Hanisko
Seattle, WA, USA   USA
On the topic of autocross, I wonder if the organizers of rally cross would be more welcoming. They seems less risk-averse and the fact that they do it on dirt reduces the risk of rollover (except maybe for the ruts!).

Sadly, my Austin 7 Special continues to take a back seat to my basement remodel. I can't wait to get back to the build and I can see the light at the end of the construction tunnel. I have a good chance of having a runner by spring.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I'll demonstrate a dry pavement spin with the Ferrari for anyone who want's to see one.
But I wouldn't offer that in a few others karts I've been in.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1961 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links