Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

1920 Spacke Cyckekart Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Joenot John Westacott
Idaho Falls, ID, USA   USA
I’m new to the cyclekart forum – only other post was in the member introduction section. I have been studying (and searching) the posts in the tech forum and working on a cyclekart chassis – wanted to test drive it and get some of the bugs out before snow flies and temperature drops. I’ve uploaded a picture of my chassis. Note, the seat back and steering support will change when I start working on the body.

I am having a couple of issues.

First, I have the Comet TAV2-30 torque converter – it is mounted at a 7-8 o’clock position (engine in front of the rear axle). I can’t seem to get a neutral with the torque converter. When I rock the kart back and forth (or pull the starter), the belt does not slip in the pulley. I pretty sure I have it assembled correctly (per instructions and a couple of videos I found). The assembly order is steel bushing, stationary sheave, bronze bushing, belt, movable sheave, hub driver, weight assembly, and drum drive. The pulleys seem to line up correctly, but there does not seem to be enough gap for the belt to drop down on to the bronze bushing. I temporarily placed an o-ring as a spacer on the crankshaft between the stationary sheave and hub driver. This gives enough spacing for neutral to work. I could fabricate a metal spacer, but was wondering if anyone has seen this problem?

My son and I started it on a jackstand and took it for a ride without neutral – what fun – may have hooked him into building one (note: son is 28 years old).

Second problem is with the 1/4 inch rod brake linkage. I come straight off the brake caliper, up towards the brake pedal and then made a 90 deg turn to connect to the pedal (section from bend to pedal is about 2.5 inchs). When exerting pressure on the brake pedal, the linkage bends at the 90 deg turn. I was thinking of welding a thin triangle steel plate to the linkage rod at this 90 deg turn to reinforce the brake rod, but am concerned that I may just be moving the bend location. I could switch to a cable linkage, but others seem to have made my setup work.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John Westacott
Idaho Falls, ID

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
jlw2.jpg    48.2 KB
jlw2.jpg

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Make sure your belt is on the TAV correctly. One side is tapered and the other side is flat. If it's on wrong, it won't work the way it's supposed to.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
If your belts on right, check the number on it. Some of those clone tav 30s ship with a 669 belt, which is too small. If thats what you have, get hold of a 725 belt. Also, if your clutch assy. is in backward, the sheave on the drive pully won't retract enough to disengage from the belt. Be certain the flatter side is toward the engine, as with the belt.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
John,
If Dave's suggestion doesn't fix the problems I attached some photos that might help. The first is to the brake pedal attachment I think you have realized already how to fix that. The last 3 illustrate how to install the belt. The flat side of the belt should face the motor and the sloped side should face out and match the angle of the clutch take up pulley. Like to see pictures of your first drive.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Attachments:
TAV_1439.JPG    33.3 KB
TAV_1439.JPG

TAV_1440.JPG    33.8 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
TAV_1443.JPG    20.7 KB
Joenot John Westacott
Thanks for the comments and pics. I have my brake linkage problem solved - should have gone straight off the brake pedal to start with.

I do have the belt on correctly and belt number matches the parts list for my Comet. Here are some pictures that show my setup. Let me know if something looks incorrect.

Attachments:
dum1.jpg    49.8 KB
dum1.jpg

dum2.jpg    43.2 KB
dum3.jpg    40.5 KB
dum4.jpg    31.4 KB
Joenot John Westacott
Figured it out (actually found a video of someone who figured it out). The the first steel spacer was not thick enough to line up the pulleys correctly - belt was angled just enough to climb the pulley. Just needed a washer before the steel bushing to correct. I have the stamped valve cover predator 212 engine.

Joenot John Westacott
Took the chassis out for a spin. Tried it out on the pavement and some cookies in loose dirt. Worked great and allot of fun. Below is the resulting smiles (me, my wife, and my son).

Attachments:
Me.jpeg    64.9 KB
Me.jpeg

Carol.jpg    79.6 KB
David.jpg    81.7 KB
tiopancho Avatar
tiopancho Silver Member David Dahl
Swansea Point, BC, Canada   CAN
Looks awesome, you have a cool chassis there.
David

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
I’m saying that’s very nice, but check my build, I think we were both inspired by the same design. Our builds are very similar.

I hope you are having as much fun as I am.

1929 Riley Bitsa

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Good Stuff!thumbs up
Everyone in your pictures has their CycleKart faces on....smiling smileysmiling smileysmiling smiley
Thanks again for sharing your build.
Keep up the good work.
Good Roads
Woody

Joenot John Westacott
Thanks for the kind words. The cyclekart chassis is fun to drive - but I also really enjoy the build process. Smoky - your Bitsa build and Dennis's monocar photos inspired much of my chassis design. For inspiration, i chose a short lived American cyclecar called a Spacke roadster. It is not a racer, but I hope to use some of the body lines - probably will be all wood body. Going to try to mock up with cardboard soon.

Thanks Guys

Attachments:
autos2267.jpg    16.3 KB
autos2267.jpg

Dennis Thomas Avatar
phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1919 CycleKart Lightweight "A.V. Monocar"
1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer "Old Number 27"
1930 CycleKart German "The Boulevard Cruiser"
1937 CycleKart American "37 Studebaker Modified"
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 36052 by Dennis Thomas Very Nice John. Congratulations on completing you running chassis. I like your inspiration car too.
Welcome to the brotherhood of builders! smiling bouncing smiley
=======================================
Hello, John!
Excellent work until now. I am sure that the body would be cute, too.
There is another version of Spacke Cyclecar roadster, maybe simpler, but that is on you to choose.
--- ---
Hello, Dennis!
Always good and encouraging words for new builders!
For you short film with AV Monocar cyclecar!

Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
spacke cyclecar.1.jpg    65.7 KB
spacke cyclecar.1.jpg

spacke cyclecar.2.jpg    68 KB
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Congratulations on a great cyclekart milestone!
That looks like good solid foundation.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Good looking build John, love the CK grins.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1950 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links