CycleKart Tech Forum

A Christmas Gift

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Retired???? Sure....I often think of how much time I had....before I retired!!!!
Now you realize don't you, that if you don't sell all those frames, you're gonna
have to fit body's to them. Then besides a Miller in the stable, you could have
a Bugatti, a Maserati, a GN, a Delage, an MG.....how many frames did you
say you were making?????
But all kidding aside, every couple of weeks someone asks where they can
buy a frame. So between Steve and you anyone should be able to get started
on a kart.
DG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 37345 by Denny Graham Retired???? Sure....I often think of how much time I had....before I retired!!!!
Now you realize don't you, that if you don't sell all those frames, you're gonna
have to fit body's to them. Then besides a Miller in the stable, you could have
a Bugatti, a Maserati, a GN, a Delage, an MG.....how many frames did you
say you were making?????
But all kidding aside, every couple of weeks someone asks where they can
buy a frame. So between Steve and you anyone should be able to get started
on a kart.
DG
You are up early again Denny.......and I am just off to bed.
Besides my Ice Racer that I am trying to work on, I am building "six" For Sale.
As I am not into shipping them, they will only be available to our B.C. Chapter members,
and prospective members.
Good Night.
Brian

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
You really need to get a dog Brian. They keep you....or get you up at all hours of the night, then
you get to go out to the barn and tinker for a while before you head back to bed.

Dang mutt got me up at 1:00 then again now at 4:30. But....when ya gotta go, well ya gotta go!
Now, at 1:00 I got the new steering gear that UPS dropped off last night, set in place and figured
out the ratios. Here at 5:00, I'm puttin' on a pot O' coffee to perk, while I run out and crank up
the heat in the shop. ......Back at it. Maybe I'll try getting another hour of shut eye, unless somethin
I left out there in the barn grabs me and demands my attention.

I think what cha need up there in BC is some regular monthly get together's like Dennis T. and
Steve V. got goin' down there in Phoenix. I assume they are still at it, although we haven't heard
much from them around here lately. Being one who's lived with self blame most of my life, I suppose
my posting to the forum has something to do with their staying away.
But, I can't just talk to the wall all the time, every once in a while I need to get a little feed back.
Oops, Coffee's ready, out to the barn, take a nap later!!!!
dg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Denny
I spoke with Dennis T just yesterday! An he is still making progress the Studebaker!
Yes, we will be planning a B.C. Chapter get together very soon, as we have some new members,
and I will have some new frames to show off, and MARTIN will be home!hot smiley
God Roads
Brian
And NO I don't need a dog.......the only one I want to wake me up in the middle of the night is the wife.

RROLDSX Silver Member Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I might be interested in a frame Brian, just to get me going on my first kart. It will depend on the design and the price.
We won’t be back until March. BTW, some of my March Cyclekart time will now be dedicated to the mighty Ford V10 exhaust studs that have broken off in the head on my M/H.

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37356 by RROLDSX I might be interested in a frame Brian, just to get me going on my first kart. It will depend on the design and the price.
We won’t be back until March. BTW, some of my March Cyclekart time will now be dedicated to the mighty Ford V10 exhaust studs that have broken off in the head on my M/H.

Randy, is your inspiration car still the 1922 Hudson Six?
Brian

Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I believe so, but after driving Al’s kart, I need to make my frame 20” wide and it may need to be lower than originally planned.

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Randy
My frame table gig is set up for 18" ID, which with the Ducati rails make it 20 3/4" OD.
So on a straight railed frame this is about as wide as you want to go ( learned a couple years ago
at Tieton that you should not exceed 21" OD or the tires will rub at lock to lock)
I am building Tapered frames that would solve the wider mid section, but makes it hard to run a
Parallel leaf set up!
Frame rails could be cut and overlapped (hidden within the cowl) giving you as cockpit with a 20 3/4" ID
while maintaining the narrower front width for your parallel leaf style front end.
Anything is possible!smileys with beer
Keep me posted on your plans???
Brian

Later Edit:
After looking at the Hudson again...the frame is such an ascetic part go the design, you would be better
off to Custom build it to spec, as I did with my Miller.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-10 12:37 AM by Woodysrods.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Outside mount at the front of the frame and inside mount at the back should take care of any taper.

In reply to # 37373 by Woodysrods Hi Randy
My frame table gig is set up for 18" ID, which with the Ducati rails make it 20 3/4" OD.
So on a straight railed frame this is about as wide as you want to go ( learned a couple years ago
at Tieton that you should not exceed 21" OD or the tires will rub at lock to lock)
I am building Tapered frames that would solve the wider mid section, but makes it hard to run a
Parallel leaf set up!

Frame rails could be cut and overlapped (hidden within the cowl) giving you as cockpit with a 20 3/4" ID
while maintaining the narrower front width for your parallel leaf style front end.
Anything is possible!smileys with beer
Keep me posted on your plans???
Brian

Later Edit:
After looking at the Hudson again...the frame is such an ascetic part go the design, you would be better
off to Custom build it to spec, as I did with my Miller.

S'all for now!

Woodysrods Avatar
Hi Vic
Outside mounts are not possible on tapered frames, as Semi Elliptic springs require the eye for the springs to be located
11" ahead of the axle, thus 14" frame horns (extensions) need to be added to the Ducati frame rails.eye rolling smiley
Race cars of the 20's and early 30's that used Parallel Leaf spring usually had straight frames withe tapered hoods and hood sills.
My tapered designers frame are for "Transverse Spring" style front ends and "Quarter Elliptic" styles ONLY!
Pictures of the completed Frames (both styles) will be coming soon! smiling bouncing smiley
As I am almost ready to start welding these things together.thumbs up
Brian
PS
Measurements will be provided to anyone interested in this method of building a CycleKart chassis using a Ducati shipping
crate base, upon request!

Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
So you hit the nail on the head with my dilemma. I intended to copy Al’s design since his inside width is 20” with a parallel frame design, however I forgot he has not pass d the tech yet at Tieton. Seems to me I discussed his width and I know his steering is awesome so that’s why I was copying his frame width. Hopefully Al will chime in with his total width, as to whether it is close to legal or not. All this has a bearing on the Hudson design. I may need a method on utilizing a tapered frame with a parallel semi-elyptical springs but then there goes the Hudson design.

Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
So just to clarify, I’m attempting to get the inside width (20”) of Allen Bass’s kart. It fit me very well but I think the front axle may be a stretch for me because he was able to use a Model T parts that I won’t be using. I found the steering to be one of the best of the karts Ike driven. Hopefully it wasn’t me driving it that led to both springs breaking

Attachments:
824E8579-AD55-4273-8E8E-50D9B26EA070.jpg    62.7 KB
824E8579-AD55-4273-8E8E-50D9B26EA070.jpg

roadster1 Avatar
roadster1 Silver Member Allen Bass
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
My track width ended up being 1in over width (40in) according to their rules of 39in.

Track width really is measured from center of tire to center of tire on the same axle ,so I thought I was under by 1 1/2in at 37 1/2 in . They stated what they are calling track width was outside to outside .

Oh well sad smiley

Al

1934 Maserati 2.9L G.P.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Don't sweat it if you want to come to Teiton Al.
They've let lots of guys run who were over by that much.

roadster1 Avatar
roadster1 Silver Member Allen Bass
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
Oh, and Randy my inside width of frame is 19in
Al

1934 Maserati 2.9L G.P.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2010 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links