CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Bow's Cycle Kart Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 37555 by Bow Gents, There is plenty of open Desert in AZ where a Gorden Bennett would be easy to pull off.

There are plenty of trails criss-crossing the desert as well.

I'd love to get a crew of karts do do a Overland run... not necessarily a race, but an Overland run..
To a Ghost Town with a Saloon that is open after a dusty drive across the desert?hot smiley
Fast Tracks
Briansmileys with beer

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
That would be worth the drive and being beat up on unimproved roads with no rear suspension...

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
It sounds grand. I like it.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Sounds like someone is dreaming of .......The Great Race?
First we had New York to Paris.....the long way round....that is...Westward.
Then it was Riverside to Tacoma.
Next could it be......Yuma to ......Phoenix????
Culminating at the Grand Prix of Scottsdale (unless the later has completely fizzled.)
Well that's the seed, now..... will it grow?? Only if someone takes it under his wing and nurtures it.
An event of this stature could draw them in from all corners of the globe.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Ha, right! Sorry, that seed wasn't planted by you first, actually it came out a a conversation with Rhys.

Yuma to Scottsdale takes 3 hours at 80 MPH on highways...

Taking the 'backways' would take a bit longer for sure...

Besides the fact there is a whole lots of NOTHING between those to points...

http://azoffroading.com/arizona-trails-map/

I could see maybe Yuma to Welton... That would take all day

Bow

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
So, it all sounds like fun, and another type of event these versatile little machines cold take part in.
But.......we are forgetting one thing!
These little CKs have a 1 gal gas tank with a range of about 16 to 18 miles (depending on your carb).confused smiley
Thus, a support team would be necessary just to keep us in fuel.
80 miles = gassing up 5 times after leaving the start line!
Another thing CKs are not so keen on are "hills". Yes, it is fun to do short hill climbs, but long inclines would be
a belt killer! They like flatter terrain!
So how about deserted rail lines? We have a few around us that I used to run my speedster (not speeder) on.
Flat, narrow, curvy, through beautiful scenery, and no traffic.smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
All reasons why Mike T in NZ planned his expedition race around machines that would carry stuff
and climb better.

To use what we have, it would have to be winding through the valleys with pre-staged fuel stops.
50 miles / 2hrs would probably do in a lot of Karts, not to mention backs!
You can't do that sort of thing up here in Washington. Everywhere is fenced in but the mountains. In the
Southwest though, lots of accessible roads to nowhere.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Oops, sorry, the thought just came to me when talk of being beat up on unimproved roads was posted.
And I really believe more needs to be done to promote interest in the CK's. Your discussion with Rhys
must have been done before I discovered the forum.
New York to Paris was a 169-day trial.
Riverside to Tacoma takes 9-days.
Yuma to Welton would be a 30 mile half tank of gas jaunt after lunch.
What's needed to really stir some interest is a challenge, a real trial to see who's got the
stamina to make an all day jaunt across country.
That's just my opinion and that would certainly be something that would get the juices
flowing in me. An event like that or more so, one of several days might even temp me
to load up and trek half way cross the country to participate in. Staying pretty close to
the basic Stevenson dimensions would be a prerequisite to avoid guys form building
modified off road go karts, dune buggies, ATV's, etc. Sticking to the 200 cc non-shifter
engines and present wheel/tire limitations and staying close to the tread & WB dimensions
would keep it a challenge to complete the trial.
More gas capacity Brian, and yes, teams to man fuel stations along the route, spare belts.
That was the spirit of the first one and to me that's the spirit I'm looking for in a CK. That is
the feel of the teens and 20's in auto racing.
The back....yep, it would truly be a test of man and machine.
Denny G

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 01:22 PM by Denny Graham.

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
From my experience (4 different CKs in a variety of events), if long distance racing is the goal, the basic Stevenson car needs a little help. I love simplicity but IMHO some rudimentary rear suspension would be vital for long/rough events..... or just buy some shares in Prep H.
I drove Mike S's Fiat with rear suspension and it was great! It took the edge off the sharper jolts.

I really contemplated joining Mike T for that event in NZ but just can't swing a vacation that elaborate yet. Maybe someday............

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I guess I missed out on that event Bryan. When was it? Where was it, I mean, in what part of NZ?
How long was it? What sort of terrain was it? And.....if there was a thread about it here...any idea
where I could find it?
The rear suspension has been used on several karts over here and doesn't seem to bother the
boys that adhere to the Stevenson formula, that is the Gitterville bunch. I've played around
with the idea myself but for the type of use that the karts are getting at present, there doesn't
appear to be any advantage for the trouble involved and it does add quite a bit of extra weight.
If a guy was planning on a long distance rough road event, then over the winter a sprung rear
is well within reach, or.......a whole ell of a lot of sponge rubber under the bum.

Your coil front end Bow, seems to work really well on those rough spots. How hard is it to
adjust or swap out the springs for different rates? The guys with leafs are pretty much
locked into one ride.
DG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-15 04:22 PM by Denny Graham.

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Take this for example:

Caution, The Music Sucks

Or this:

That looks very Cyclekart do-able, For the most part

Those roads are not like these roads:

Like I mentions, that isn't a high speed race, it is a drive for the adventure of it

Bow

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Denny,
Most of us (Northern Hemisphere) folks will miss out on that one but I like Woody's BC idea! And I like Bow's Arizona trails/roads! I still prefer the idea of a Gordon Bennett style moderately long course, though, with good natured competition and limited enough scope to be doable by those with maderate means.

Topper2011 Avatar
Topper2011 Roland Young
Los Altos, CA, USA   USA
Well done!

"Man plans, God laughs"

Team classic Brian S
Lyttelton Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand   NZL
Yes it's the challenge of this type of event, which makes it appealing. This is my latest effort built in my usual style of re-purposing leftover materials. to accompany Mike on his antipodean adventure. Loosely based on the 1905 Peking to Paris De Dion Bouton.

Attachments:
IMG_0123.JPG    72.9 KB
IMG_0123.JPG

IMG_0125.JPG    68.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_0092.JPG    43 KB
IMG_0096.JPG    49.7 KB
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
That first one looks doable Bow, then the second one would be pretty nice cept for a few spots
that would make Tieton look like a cake walk from the videos I've seen. That last one....you can
label that "impossible", that trail is cut in for rock crawlers.
Ya'll seem to have lot of possibilities for a get together out there. Wonder why the Phoenix gang
hasn't tried for a get together out there. Taint that far of a drive, they could leave at sun up, spend
the whole day beating their karts to death and be home by sundown.
dg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2010 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links