Bow's Cycle Kart Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
Here is another decent road to run on for the average CycleKart:

Do something like the Butterfield Stage Route Run...

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
So I recently installed some new springs on the front suspension to try and fight the coil bind/bottoming out issue when in full boogie mode over rough terrain...

I picked up some 5" motorcycle "Solo Seat" springs. they are tapers on both ends, which should reduce the chance of coil bind... well, the 5" tall spring had to fit into a 4" opening (without a bottom "rebound Bumper Spring" installed.

I managined to get the springs installed last weekend and took it for a test ride... No Luck.

That 1" compression of "preload" on the springs made them WAY to stiff... back to the drawing board...

I hit Ebay and picked up some 3" Solo Seat Springs, which arrived on Thursday.

Bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 12:23 AM by Bow.

Attachments:
IMG_20190120_142103159.jpg    45.5 KB
IMG_20190120_142103159.jpg

IMG_20190120_163549706.jpg    51.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_20190126_144216081.jpg    37.1 KB
Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Today I was able to modify them to take my Bronze bushings, and their reduced height also made it possible for me to reinstall rebound springs on the bottom of the assembly.

Of course, it required a test drive, which also gave me a chance to play with my new camera at a better angle...

The ride was MUCH better, it never bottomed out...

I think the camera angle is better too

Bow

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_20190126_154021832_PORTRAIT.jpg    37 KB
IMG_20190126_154021832_PORTRAIT.jpg

IMG_20190126_170351422_HDR.jpg    53.4 KB
IMG_20190126_155050815_PORTRAIT.jpg    53.7 KB
Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Took the CycleKart out today for a biy of exploration into the desert just south of my place. There is a bunch of trails used by off road vehicles, but also pre-planned dirt roads layed out for future city expansion.

I'm not going to lie, it was some rough driving with the hardtail rearend... makes me want to figure out some seat suspension, even 4" of high density foam wasn't enough.

All that said, 12 mile round trip and it was a hell of a lot of fun, did some exploring, and found a new place to ride, besides just doing laps... then I opened it up on the pavement heading home...

77 degrees today and a beautiful day for CycleKarting

Bow

Attachments:
IMG_20190127_144011_152.jpg    39.6 KB
IMG_20190127_144011_152.jpg

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Is that from your GPS speedo or your Camera?
Brian

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 37878 by Woodysrods Is that from your GPS speedo or your Camera?
Brian

Screen capture of the DigiHud app on my old phone. I kept the old phone for stuff like this, turn it on and put it in my pocket. The new phone was in the other pocket running an app to interface with my action cam.

I would love an action cam with the GPS stuff built into and displayed on the video, but them suckers ain't cheap

Bow

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-27 05:19 PM by Bow.

Woodysrods Avatar
I don't have one of those cellular telephones yet, I thought they're just a fad and am waiting to see if they catch on???eye rolling smiley
Brian

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 37881 by Woodysrods I don't have one of those cellular telephones yet, I thought they're just a fad and am waiting to see if they catch on???eye rolling smiley
Brian

I'm pretty sure they won't be around long... but I fell for it like the Chia Pet... yawning smiley

Bow

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
Damn it...

my camera was aimed higher than the app showed it to be... so most of my video is sky.... angry smiley

I'll see if I can chop it up into something that shows where I went

Bow

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, Rev. Bow!
Nice technical solution for unorthodox front suspension/steering system!
Good and useful presentation with photos.
Never too old to learn something new, even never used.
--- ---
The video is excellent and I am glad that you enjoy so much in your testing rides across and around your town.

Just a few dilemmas:
~ there are no people around on streets - looks to me quite an unreal scene altogether, lonely too?
~ why there are pylons with street lights when there is not any presence of pedestrians, cars rarely?
~ what is a means of those walls everywhere: to keep all of you safe from surrounding desert (coyotes, Indians, robbers), but probably as shelter from wind and dust?

Anyway, excellent countryside for riding Cyclekart around!
Sometimes, I would like to live in such a town after living more than half a century in my beloved big, noisy and chaotic Belgrade, and now a decade here in Bern (quite more calm and tidy town - pleasant, too)...

Enjoy!
Zoran

====================================
In reply to # 37851 by Bow Today I was able to modify them to take my Bronze bushings, and their reduced height also made it possible for me to reinstall rebound springs on the bottom of the assembly.

Of course, it required a test drive, which also gave me a chance to play with my new camera at a better angle...

The ride was MUCH better, it never bottomed out...

I think the camera angle is better too

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 37885 by moto-klasika Hello, Rev. Bow!
Nice technical solution for unorthodox front suspension/steering system!
Good and useful presentation with photos.
Never too old to learn something new, even never used.
--- ---

4 tries to get the springs right, it seems to be a good setup for now...
Glad you liked it Zoran!

Quote: The video is excellent and I am glad that you enjoy so much in your testing rides across and around your town.

Just a few dilemmas:
~ there are no people around on streets - looks to me quite an unreal scene altogether, lonely too?
~ why there are pylons with street lights when there is not any presence of pedestrians, cars rarely?
~ what is a means of those walls everywhere: to keep all of you safe from surrounding desert (coyotes, Indians, robbers), but probably as shelter from wind and dust?

-Actually, this time of year there are more people in this area than when it is 110F every day in the summer. I live a little outside of town as well, and the roads are not thru-roads, most of the time they stop at the edge of the desert in a dead end and turn to dirt for future expansion of the city

-they build the new streets as divided roads instead of building 2 lanes and having to expand them later as the city grows

-Good walls make for great neighbors winking smiley Actually, I have no idea, but it is common in newer areas, they also make good wind breaks

Quote:
Anyway, excellent countryside for riding Cyclekart around!
Sometimes, I would like to live in such a town after living more than half a century in my beloved big, noisy and chaotic Belgrade, and now a decade here in Bern (quite more calm and tidy town - pleasant, too)...

Enjoy!
Zoran

Yes, it is a great place to run around in a cyclekart. I hope to get some video from my run today that shows some of the places I went... wide open spaces for sure

Bow

Woodysrods Avatar
You could have your CycleKart event in that Walled City, as long as you had a search party to
go out and recovering those who got lost while out on the course???tongue sticking out smiley
Brian

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Your last video was great, a nice view of the surrounding area and trails. Cyclecarts make great trials runners too.

S'all for now!

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 37898 by carChips Your last video was great, a nice view of the surrounding area and trails. Cyclecarts make great trials runners too.

The video I made today during my 12 mile run was aimed too high... I am going to upload it anyway, but you can see some of what there is to run on around here.

The trails/unimproved roads were surprisingly rough, at any speed, but it was a boatload of fun. I wish someone around here would get inspired to build one

Bow

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37900 by Bow
In reply to # 37898 by carChips Your last video was great, a nice view of the surrounding area and trails. Cyclecarts make great trials runners too.

The video I made today during my 12 mile run was aimed too high... I am going to upload it anyway, but you can see some of what there is to run on around here.

The trails/unimproved roads were surprisingly rough, at any speed, but it was a boatload of fun. I wish someone around here would get inspired to build one
We would if you had attached it.
And Yes, way more fun when there are others to play with!smiling bouncing smiley
I used to waterski and loved it........but when there was 2 or 3 of us behind the boat at once, it was the best ever!
Hope you find someone to play with in the neighbourhood.
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1913 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links