CycleKart Tech Forum

Buggy Spring end.... Help/advice please

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Topo Avatar
Topo Silver Member Rich T
East lothian, Scotland, UK   GBR
Hi,

Sometime ago I bought a pair of Buggy springs (very cheap, Ebay uk) about 18" eye to eye..All good
1 to be mounted as a front transverse leaf (single leaf?) ....All good

The question is ....What do you all do with the end fitting on this type of spring?
How do you bush it?
Do you bush it?
Enlarge the hole to take a bush? Enlarge the hole to take a tube then fit bush?

I was thinking of bush/tube inside the spring then step out to meet shackle?

Am I being stupid and overthinking this?

Cheers Rich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMAG0746.jpg    14.2 KB
IMAG0746.jpg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I've never seen that style of end on a spring before, always this https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/1-000-lb-4-leaf-slipper-trailer-spring/A-p2080065e. Are you going to bush the shackle?

S'all for now!

Topo Avatar
Hi Victor,

"Are you going to bush the shackle?"

That's what I meant by "I was thinking of bush/tube inside the spring then step out to meet shackle? "

But is there a better way?

Cheers Rich

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I too have never seen a spring like that, and question how and why they would have made it like that.
But, remembering that it is going on a CycleKart, I would just use the solid spacer you have, drilled to the same size
as the existing hole in the spring. 3/8" is plenty, and most common on CycleKarts.
Good Lock with the res of your build,
What is your inspiration car?
Woody

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
All the buggy springs I have been shown have one section like that which Rich has shown, and another half with a pair of ends that slip inside them, they make a seat spring with one half upwards, the otherdown, so buying a set of springs does 2 cyclekarts. I use HDPE sleeves in the eyes, http://www.bowman.co.uk/bearings/oilite-bearings-self-lubricating-bearings

Topo Avatar
Hi Woody,

That solid spacer I have is an optical illusion...it's a bit of tube I cut that could take a bush! But I get what you mean.
I think the existing hole is 3/8 or 10mm so yes if it's done "bushless" that would be fine

It was just nagging me that to be proper it needs/should have a bush....So it's great to have your opinion, thanks.

inspiration car? ...That's where I failed the Stevenson test...afraid it's "custom", no one car inspiration (too many to list), with small wheels! Small Kart!

Where's yours up to and what happened to the ERA?

Cheers Rich

Neto Ernest B
Berlin, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 36542 by Rhysn All the buggy springs I have been shown have one section like that which Rich has shown, and another half with a pair of ends that slip inside them, they make a seat spring with one half upwards, the otherdown, so buying a set of springs does 2 cyclekarts. I use HDPE sleeves in the eyes, http://www.bowman.co.uk/bearings/oilite-bearings-self-lubricating-bearings

Yes, this is the most common type of springs used on the buggies the Amish build. You can see photos in the thread I started some time ago about Amish buggy springs.

Amish Buggy Spring Designs

Topo Avatar
Thanks Rhys, It had occurred that something Polybush sell might do..... (same idea as you use).

Cheers Rich

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 36547 by Topo Hi Woody,

That solid spacer I have is an optical illusion...it's a bit of tube I cut that could take a bush! But I get what you mean.
I think the existing hole is 3/8 or 10mm so yes if it's done "bushless" that would be fine

It was just nagging me that to be proper it needs/should have a bush....So it's great to have your opinion, thanks.

inspiration car? ...That's where I failed the Stevenson test...afraid it's "custom", no one car inspiration (too many to list), with small wheels! Small Kart!

Where's yours up to and what happened to the ERA?

Cheers Rich
Mine is getting close, but have been distracted by my MGA project lately.......will get back to it soon!
And yes, I loved the looks of the ERA, but when I started scaling, information was just too hard to come by, so I switched to the 1924 Miller 122.
Good Roads
Brian

Ukrobotman Avatar
Ukrobotman Steve Cole
Montgomery, Powys, UK   GBR
Him, this is one of my springs that I’ve hade made for me by a spring company here in the Uk.
It has a phosphor bronze bush with a12mm hole in the middle,
Steve
Join us UK builders on the “ Cyclekarts GB” Facebook group

Attachments:
628F6F92-FCAE-4E3C-BF9A-0DB84E78A55C.jpeg    41.4 KB
628F6F92-FCAE-4E3C-BF9A-0DB84E78A55C.jpeg

Topo Avatar
Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, they look great, I'm sure they will do the job.

I was trying to find out if anyone had a better way to bush, or not bush, the type I have.
If I did fit a bush I think it would be rubber or plastic.

cheers Rich

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
KISS

In reply to # 36577 by Topo Hi Steve,

Thanks for that, they look great, I'm sure they will do the job.

I was trying to find out if anyone had a better way to bush, or not bush, the type I have.
If I did fit a bush I think it would be rubber or plastic.

cheers Rich

bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
KISS would be rubber fuel line ( not vacuum or air hose)

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2001 CycleKart Lightweight

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links