CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

CycleKart Spindles new and improved design

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Hey I'm glad you came up with the wrench question. I've been pondering this part and this solves it. Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Steve, have you considered the implications from welding an alloy steel socket head cap screw
for your stub axles with out heat treating them? The ANSI spec. on those can be as high as
.50 carbon and they are also high in other heat sensitive materials.
I would like to hear how they held up once you put them to use for a season.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Yes. I am a little worried. In speaking to a fabricator friend, he has built dozens of gokart spindles like this without issue, but we will see where the pavement meets the road.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"

I revised the angle of the bracket that attaches the Tie Rod to the spindle assembly.

The new bracket is parallel with the ground. The earlier version was square with the King Pin, so it was at a severe angle in relation to the Tie-Rods.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Hey Steve,

Nice job n these spindles. I will be very curious to hear about how the inclined kingpin (the fact that it points towards the tire contact patch) improves drive-ability. It must, because the folks around here who build racing lawnmowers take great pains to build their spindles in a similar way.

Also, I think you are doing the right thing by having a more robust connection of the axle to the pivot point. I've seen many people simply take a big bolt and weld the bolt head to a pipe, face on, and leave it at that. I have never understood why people think that's a good design, given that other than chain failure, spindle failure at that very weld is the most common failure of CKs.

Anyway, report back when you have some news on how it drives. Good luck!

Andy

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1923 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links