CycleKart Tech Forum

Drive only one wheel question

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Ukrobotman Avatar
Ukrobotman Steve Cole
Montgomery, Powys, UK   GBR
Warning .... newbie question....
Ok so most Cyclekarts only seem to be powering one back wheel and not two .....why ?
And why are ending up only braking on one wheel ? If you end up hurtling on at 40 mph and you only have one wheel being braked it doesn’t seem such a great idea.
Can someone enlighten me ?
Steve in sunny UK

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
Check out the faq sections

Basically when you turn; the inside and outside wheels turn at different speeds (the outside tire has further to go)
With 1 drive wheel it turns with no issues, just if you power rightside it is better at making left turns, hence ehy tracks for these favor left turns

Now same scenario with a solid axle driving both tires; the inside tire will try to spin; if it has enough power and will chirp the tire and it will under steer (go towards outside of turn) it sucks on hard pavement
BUT
Offroad the inside tire can spin and outside tire will drive forward...it can also make back of car come around causing oversteer like drifting

A solid axle will go better in limited traction areas

Now we also have differentials which will let which ever tire has less traction spin could be tight or left...good thing is it doesnt influence turning like 1 drive does, it reacts the same left or right turns

Does that help

bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
Also check out the different rear hub thread and here

basic parts

And faq
FAQ

smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-29 05:49 PM by bansil.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
I've ran with both 1 wheel keyed and 2 wheels keyed, turning radius is affected as stated above but the driving experience is hands down better with both keyed. Personally, I'll never go back to a one wheel wonder, nor will I waste money on a diff.

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
I had the same experience as Justin. Lock ‘em up, and have fun.

1929 Riley Bitsa

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
Solid axle is around 53-60 dollars and the differential around 100-110....you can bolt a gear to the differential and the brake rotor....solid axle...add the cost of hubs to do that twice...let's say 30 bucks....they both need bearings so that's a wash, to hold em in....tell me again how yould be wasting money on the differential which works perfectly in this application?

In reply to # 36399 by JTremain I've ran with both 1 wheel keyed and 2 wheels keyed, turning radius is affected as stated above but the driving experience is hands down better with both keyed. Personally, I'll never go back to a one wheel wonder, nor will I waste money on a diff.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Cost, simplicity, weight. I've never driven a cyclekart with a diff, but I've talked to someone who ran one for awhile and decided to go back to a solid axle and that's good enough for me.

In reply to # 36406 by Racie35 Solid axle is around 53-60 dollars and the differential around 100-110....you can bolt a gear to the differential and the brake rotor....solid axle...add the cost of hubs to do that twice...let's say 30 bucks....they both need bearings so that's a wash, to hold em in....tell me again how yould be wasting money on the differential which works perfectly in this application?

In reply to # 36399 by JTremain I've ran with both 1 wheel keyed and 2 wheels keyed, turning radius is affected as stated above but the driving experience is hands down better with both keyed. Personally, I'll never go back to a one wheel wonder, nor will I waste money on a diff.

"Magic Man"

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Not sure where you're getting your axle at but......https://www.ombwarehouse.com/solid-36-steel-axle-stepped-threaded-ends.html

You need hubs, sprocket and brake disc either way.

S'all for now!

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
You just saved 10...

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Orders over $55 on omb is free shipping, value in that. Plus with the diff you need 4 bearings instead of 2.

"Magic Man"

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
You would not be sorry going with a live axle.
When I keyed my free wheel, my turn radius increased by less than 4 feet. The traction out of turns on dirt
AND pavement improved markedly, the throttle understeer has been negligible, and the tracking under hard brake is absolutely superior.

Justin, Don and I have run our cyclekarts pretty hard at this point, so naturally we've developed some
definite opinions.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Live axle Steve, diff will still spin the unloaded wheel on slippery, all you MIGHT gain is turning circle, and lots of complication and weight. You are being given US prices on this forum, somehow some folks don't spot you are inthe UK. Freight will kill any price gains, if,in fact, they are better than the UK recommended supplier who backs up their products.

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
For what it's worth...

This fall I went to the upstate New York ck meet and drove, REALLY drove, my kart for the first time. I have a live axle driving both wheels and a brake on one side. The driving experience (taking away some technical issues I had with other parts of my ck) was fabulous. We had a u-turn around a cone at the end of the course and making that turn was a tad annoying, but because it was on a dirt road, lots of the other guys simply hit full throttle and spun the rear wheels, swinging the back end around. That is a practical solution and also lots of fun! I had some issues with my drive system at low speed so I couldn't perform this maneuver.

As a side note, since we're talking about rear axles, I would like to report that I'm using a hollow aluminum axle at 1.25" diameter. I was worried it would not stand up to the punishment but it has, under very bumpy and high stress conditions. I was torquing my drive belt so tight I actually bent the frame where my rear suspension is attached and that STILL didn't bend the axle. It's a nice bit of weight savings and wasn't too expensive, since it's a widely available go-kart product.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

Ukrobotman Avatar
Ukrobotman Steve Cole
Montgomery, Powys, UK   GBR
Ok it seems that driving both wheels seems the best option, if nothing else I’ll be braking on two wheels rather than one. Let’s get it built and tes it out

bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
In reply to # 36447 by Ukrobotman Ok it seems that driving both wheels seems the best option, if nothing else I’ll be braking on two wheels rather than one. Let’s get it built and tes it out

Done yetgrinning smiley

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1933 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links