CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Engine and Torque Convertors

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
Have studied their site to try and pick out the best of the bits.

My frame is fabricated out of light weight box section, then I will cover with alloy or ply wood to create the panels.

Being as I am from England the prices are some what higher here, the comet set up is £150 (gbp) and due to us having a bit less land mass there is not so many go cart parts suppliers to choose from, although the Honda 'chicken chaser's' as they are known being the c50,c70 and c90 wheels are not to hard to find.

I will work out the gearing to get the best of both worlds, did you see the excel gearbox ratio calculator on this link??

http://www.geminikarts.co.uk/shop/Product.asp?PID=1154&GID=11&SID=3713275&SPIN=15913

Have you taken the governor out of your engine to allow it to rev more be a tad more versatile?? making more use of the power???

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
KartBuilder29 Avatar
KartBuilder29 Michael Droll
Houston, USA   USA
1920 CycleKart Pre War "Burgundy Betty"
No i haven't gone that far yet, still in the build stage. I am on schedule to have my first drive this week. Since the clutches are known to be problematic im not going to do that until i get the CVT. Also from what i have read the Karts can get pretty dangerous if they get to fast. Remember the braking on these things is pretty bad, you don't want to wrap your self around as tree. drinking smiley

Build Journal

Yes No Thank
gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
That's why mine has a steel frame, you never know, 'live on the edge a bit'.

You are well a head of me, I will be posting some pic's when I have finished the frame and painted it up neat and tidy.

I have most of the equipment as I bought a kart rolling chassis to strip and use the bits. Have bought an old aluminium steering wheel off a steam roller to keep the appearance looking close i.e large wheel concept. Bet you cannot wait for that test drive.

As for engines they are £93.00 delivered for a 'clone' so if it decides to go 'bang' you either rebuild or buy new. Keep the revs down to a max of 5 to 6,000 rpm.

I will buy a torque converter over the next few months as the build progresses, as I have so many other projects on the go at the moment.

Yes No Thank
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
Michael,

Here is a link to a speed calculator.
It would be interesting to see how the results relate.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html]Speed Calculator[/url]

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

Yes No Thank
KartBuilder29 Avatar
Houston, USA   USA
In reply to # 282 by DavidMGA1600 Michael,

Here is a link to a speed calculator.
It would be interesting to see how the results relate.

http://www.diygokarts.com/speed-calculator.html]Speed Calculator[/url]

At 3600 RPM with 62t and 10t = 38MPH

At 3600 RPM with 72t and 10t = 33MPH

Build Journal

Yes No Thank
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
I would like some opinions on the following engine choice. Last weekend i bought a CT110 and a CT90 motorbike, basically just for the wheels, both bikes cost AUD$100.
Included with the bikes was a whole bunch of engine parts, one complete motor and one bottom end. The parts included basically 5 top ends from the barrel to the carb. The rear wheel also has the sprocket so the gearing and chain link is organized.
Now my question is. I'm considering using the CT90 engine and gearbox for my kart. The CT90 has a internal automatic clutch and a high range low range selection on the output gearbox. I would believe if the motor could power a road bike which could achieve 55mph, surely the low range output should be able to adequately move a Cyclekart. I know its not built along the line of a traditional Cyclekart but the cost of buying a GX200 engine and the CVT is really expensive in Australia.

This is almost what Sam is going to be doing with his GN, but my engine will be located just infront of the rear axle.

David

David

Gold Coast, Australia.

Attachments:
engine-01.JPG    39.2 KB
engine-01.JPG

engine-02.JPG    42.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
In reply to # 287 by DavidMGA1600 I would like some opinions on the following engine choice. Last weekend i bought a CT110 and a CT90 motorbike, basically just for the wheels, both bikes cost AUD$100.
Included with the bikes was a whole bunch of engine parts, one complete motor and one bottom end. The parts included basically 5 top ends from the barrel to the carb. The rear wheel also has the sprocket so the gearing and chain link is organized.
Now my question is. I'm considering using the CT90 engine and gearbox for my kart. The CT90 has a internal automatic clutch and a high range low range selection on the output gearbox. I would believe if the motor could power a road bike which could achieve 55mph, surely the low range output should be able to adequately move a Cyclekart. I know its not built along the line of a traditional Cyclekart but the cost of buying a GX200 engine and the CVT is really expensive in Australia.

This is almost what Sam is going to be doing with his GN, but my engine will be located just infront of the rear axle.

David

Can you not buy a 6.5 hp (clone of gx200) off flea bay ??? These are quite cheap compared to English prices 125 dollars = £82.15 Sell some of the bike parts you do not require to get a 'clone' engine. After all you might spend a lot of money buying and making a cycle kart and not be happy with the end result. I would rather buy the cheaper bits first then replace with better quality once happy and in a financial position to do so.

Here are the links clone engines on Aussy ebay (flea bay as we call it) that you could use at 125 Aussy dollars.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Petrol-Engine-4-Stroke-Motor-6-5HP-Recoil-Start-/261080692271?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Farming_Agriculture_Farming_Agriculture_Equipment&hash=item3cc99f362f#ht_1627wt_932

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=6.5+hp+engine&_sacat=0#item3cc99f362f

I have seen a few carts/buggy's over here with motorcycle engines in but they have ended up with the engine on the floor and fuel tank above the driver allowing for the gravity fall.

Hope this helps

Gyp

Yes No Thank
KartBuilder29 Avatar
Houston, USA   USA
In reply to # 287 by DavidMGA1600 I would like some opinions on the following engine choice. Last weekend i bought a CT110 and a CT90 motorbike, basically just for the wheels, both bikes cost AUD$100.

David

The biggest problem that i can think of is starting the engine. If I'm not mistaken it requires a kick-start? Don't know how you can mount the engine in front of the axle and still have room to start it.

Build Journal

Yes No Thank
arndtnew3 Avatar
arndtnew3 Sam A
geneseo, IL, USA   USA
Yeah the kick start could be the only problem, and it would also be a pain in the but to go take off the rear end and kick start it. I've thought of this too for my kart. I like the idea though. I've been waiting for someone to put a dirt bike engine in a kart other than me if I do. I think shifting a kart would be awsome when driving, having a lever outside of the kart to shift. Just my thoughts.

Sam

Yes No Thank
chanito Juan Mansilla
Miami, USA   USA
A better option would be to install a small scooter engine, they already have the transmision attach and some have electric starters, the only problem i see is adapting a sprocket and then just run a chain to the rear wheel.
I i ever finish my cyclekart and start on a second one, that is what i would do smileys with beer

Yes No Thank
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
I have just spent the weekend in my dads shed getting the CT90 motor started and thinking about how to adapt it. (It was fathers day on Sunday we joked i gave him a jigsaw puzzle for fathers day). We pulled the motor right down to find out why it wasn't running. Turned out the somebody had rebuilt the engine and installed the piston upside down which bent the intake valve and also damaged the spark plug. It now running with good compression.
Anyway we think we will move forward with this motor.
Advantages - its free, this has an integral gear box, the sprockets are geared to suit the wheels size, the gear box has an extra high/low range selection, we have spares for 5 top ends. The motor is 90cc but rated at 7.0HP. The CVT drives in Australia will cost approx. AUD$400
Disadvantages - Is not a true "Classic" cyclekart. Kick start. To work the kick start we are considering running a rod with a level end across the width of the kart. A bit like a true 1920 car which needed a starting handle to kick the engine over. Packaging of the engine and fuel tank into the rear bodywork.

I will do a couple of drawings to see how it all works.

In regards to the clone engines, we also had a look at a clone 7HP engine on the week-end. Inside the valve rockers and associated equip looked really cheap and we struggled to correctly set the valve gap each time we turned the engine over. Maybe not all clones are built to the same standard.

David

David

Gold Coast, Australia.

Yes No Thank
ChrisKart Chris K
Tallebudgera, Australia   AUS
In reply to # 291 by chanito A better option would be to install a small scooter engine, they already have the transmision attach and some have electric starters, the only problem i see is adapting a sprocket and then just run a chain to the rear wheel.
I i ever finish my cyclekart and start on a second one, that is what i would do smileys with beer

Juan,

The CT90 motor David is looking at has a 4 speed "Automatic clutch" which means you change gear without the need of a clutch lever. The motor looks pretty compact but will have to point forward from the axle as it may run dry of oil if stood more vertical. The kick start may also be have to resolved, but i like the idea of a crank handle sticking out the side. Post a drawing when you have made one.

Chris

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1938 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links