CycleKart Tech Forum

Fun with Axles

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
Hi All,

Looking at the photo of the rear axle between your flange/bearing carrier and the rear hub 'tube' might I suggest taping over the axle with insulation tape and the fitting a spacer (piece of tube) on both sides of the kart. Talking to the chap from Gemini Kart and most go kart racers do this to keep the axle aligned. The tape is merely to stop the chrome/surface becoming scratched.

Just a thought.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Are you using 3/4in axles in back? If so, carry an extra one of these with you and put it on the rear axle when your doing 1WD

$32.95 http://www.bmikarts.com/4-x-4-Billet-Aluminum-Idler-Hub-34-or-1-ID-Bearing_p_1644.html

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
I was thinking about this issue...

Has anyone thought about putting something like this over the freewheel axle?

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
Is that a cycle kart condom?? I don't get it, how would you use it??

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 13411 by gypo Is that a cycle kart condom?? I don't get it, how would you use it??

Of course, for safe motoring....

Well, it is actually for shocks on off road vehicles, but one could install it over the axle keyway, between the bearing and the hub to keep the garbage from collecting in the keyway and chewing up the axle...

Just a thought

Bow

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
know where your coming from now. So you pop some insulation tape over key way then tube to space between hub and bearing then the rubber cover...with you now, remeber its late over here & dark!!

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
In reply to # 13413 by gypo remeber its late over here & dark!!

Did Lucas build your Power Grid too?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Bow

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
There are no street lights where I live, when it dark its dark, no light pollution ....and no the grids older than Lucas...more like the Romans.

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
grinning smiley

Nice

Bow

bobwilcox Avatar
bobwilcox Bob Wilcox
Riverside, MO, USA   USA
1925 Ford Model T "Speedway Special"
1934 Austin America "Austin American Special"
To prevent foreigh material from filtering into the hub I put a grease fitting in the set screw hole, turned the axle to line the fitting and keyway and pumped grease into the keyway. Every once in a while I pump more grease in and wipe off the excess.

bemidjimac Avatar
bemidjimac Ken McDonnell
Sturgeon Lake, MN, USA   USA
Hello,

Couldn't you put a bearing hub on when you want to run in one wheel mode?

Ken

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
I know I probably don't know what I'm talking about but IF you were commited to one wheel drive, couldn't you have the free wheel end turned down to 3/4" and add bearings like the front? I know that kills going back to two wheel drive, but just an idea. I've been pondering this myself as I want to make my own rear hubs in a different manner that would allow a bearing on the non drive side. Still a lot to work out but no hurry no worry. The only other solution I came up with was a split axle(one left, one right) and free spool the non drive side. Problem with that is the extra bracing and hardware to make it road worthy. Simple is better so the axle turn down to 3/4 sounded good. If this all sounds wonky I blame the Chivas.

Neto Ernest B
Berlin, OH, USA   USA
In reply to # 36326 by MichaelR I know I probably don't know what I'm talking about but IF you were commited to one wheel drive, couldn't you have the free wheel end turned down to 3/4" and add bearings like the front? I know that kills going back to two wheel drive, but just an idea. I've been pondering this myself as I want to make my own rear hubs in a different manner that would allow a bearing on the non drive side. Still a lot to work out but no hurry no worry. The only other solution I came up with was a split axle(one left, one right) and free spool the non drive side. Problem with that is the extra bracing and hardware to make it road worthy. Simple is better so the axle turn down to 3/4 sounded good. If this all sounds wonky I blame the Chivas.

I would add that you could set a locking collar on the full-sized part of the axle, and make some sort of locking mechanism so that you could lock the free turning wheel to the axle when you need two-wheel traction. I would think that this could be designed so that it could be engaged w/o tools, possibly via a cable control to a fork much like a clutch fork on a standard transmission, or like that used on some old washing machines.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Always fun to "Re invent the Wheel" and interesting to see how guys go about trying to do that!confused smiley
Woody

scott.trosper Avatar
scott.trosper Scott Trosper
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OK), USA   USA
How about using a spider coupler on the free wheeling wheel. slide apart when you want one wheel then slide together for both wheels.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1922 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links