CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Hey guys I will build a cycle kart one day

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

jon.wright.lbc Avatar
jon.wright.lbc jonathan wright
Tehachapi, CA, USA   USA
So I guess this is my introduction/ me asking a few questions.
I'm Jon wright, I have a 74 mgb gt, I am 26 and have had 23 cars since I started driving. I really want to build a cycle kart, it looks like the perfect way to step up my building and fabrication capabilities and have an awesome toy at the end of it. I love the look of these old racers.

My first question is should I start with the frame or the body? Do I build the body I want and make the frame to fit? Or vice versa.
And secondly what are the dimensions on the frame rails? Lowes going to have what I need for that? Cost?
I am all about build threads and pictures but I am sure this is going to be a lengthy one. I hope one day I can race with a few of you. Looks amazing.
Look forward to meeting you guys

. Hide this ad & support a small business by becoming a Gold Supporting Member
Was this post helpful or interesting?
Yes No Thank
smcameron Stephen Cameron
Santa Clara, CA, USA   USA
The classic Stevenson design has you building the body, then bolting the frame rails to it -- so the body kind of *is* the frame, though typically the rear part of the frame rails end up welded to some cross pieces that support the engine. This is how I did it on my kart. The frame rails are connected in the back via the crosspieces, but this was done after bolting the rails to the body.

Other people have built a rolling chassis frame and then put a body on it. So it can be done either way.

The Stevensons were big into building plywood boats in which the plywood is put together in a kind of "stressed box" that gives the final structure a lot of rigidity and low weight, and they took that idea and applied it to their cyclekart design. They call for building the body out of 1/4th inch plywood. When you go to the hardware store and look at 1/4th inch plywood, you'll think "no way!" and buy something thicker (this is what I did anyway.)

Looking at the pictures of the Stevensons' karts, it doesn't actually *look* like 1/4th inch, so... not sure if they *really* used 1/4th inch of if they're just pulling our leg.

In any case, probably better to get plywood with a decent surface quality, because the rougher the surface, the harder time you're going to have to get it to look decent when you paint it.

Hope that helps, and keep us posted with your build progress.

Yes No Thank
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
Jon,
Welcome to the cyclekart club, I currently drive a 1960 MGA which i restored with my dad and before that a 1969 MGBGT which i rebuilt the engine and some of the suspension. Im amazed your 26 and have owned 23 cars, I'm 41 and have only owned 4 cars. Strangely two MG's A, BGT and two Volvos 144s, 242GT. (the wife has had 3 toyotas)

I have not built a kart yet but have looked at lots of write-ups and lots of photos.
If i was starting I would build the bit that inspired me the most or at least the part which you find easiest to build.
At least by building the body first you ensure you fit and the engine hangs out the back, plus the chassis rails can be bolted to the side after then cross bracing welded in also the plywood is possibly one of the cheaper components.

Other please let us know your thoughts.

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-22 09:16 AM by DavidMGA1600.

Yes No Thank
jon.wright.lbc Avatar
Tehachapi, CA, USA   USA
That seems sensible enough now I just have to find a old race car that I like the looks of and looks easy enough to build the body. Frame rails are 1x3 inches? What are you guys using for leaf springs? Yes 23 cars is a little silly but there are so many amazing cars out there I want to try as many of them as I can. I have very much enjoyed each one of them for different reasons and am glad I got to spend the time I did with each car/motorcycle. The 74 BGT is probably my favorite so far. I have wanted one for a long time and can't help but smile every time I drive it. I don't always understand my obsession with motor vehicles but I sure have fun with them

Yes No Thank
DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
Here is my BGT racing stripes and twin Lucas Flamethrower spot lights. I do think the BGT is a far better looking car than the B roadster. And also with the MGA In the hinterland behind the Gold Coast,.

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2012-10-23 08:25 AM by DavidMGA1600.

Attachments:
image.jpg    30.4 KB
image.jpg

image.jpg    26.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Yes No Thank
jon.wright.lbc Avatar
Tehachapi, CA, USA   USA
Great looking cars. I love those lights on the BGT.

Yes No Thank

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links