CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Ice Racer

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Well, as you know if you are following the latest threads.I have started another project!eye rolling smiley
Yes, it snowed two days ago for the first time this winter,,,,,so it is time ti build an Ice Racer CK!smileys with beer
Killing two birds with one stone here, I am using the Ducatti Shipping crate as the platform (chassis)
for my Ice Racer build.
Trimmed the shipping crate yesterday (Xmas Eve) and posted pictures under the thread "Christmas Gift"
Today, I pie cut and welded the front tapering the frame rails. This will accommodate the 14 " wide grill
shell I hope to cut from a double stainless steel sink!
My hope to that this project will move along and I will have it finished before the New Year!
Good Roads
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
PC240007.JPG    31 KB
PC240007.JPG

PC240003.JPG    27.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
PC250002.JPG    45.9 KB
PC250004.JPG    43.6 KB
Woodysrods Avatar
So today I managed some final trimming, made some more decisions, cut up one of my sinks for the grill,
and generally made sure everything was going to fit..........using the Ducati shipping crate as my frame.
Brian

Attachments:
PC260005.JPG    40.4 KB
PC260005.JPG

PC260007.JPG    48.4 KB
PC260008.JPG    46.9 KB
PC260009.JPG    48.4 KB
PC260010.JPG    52.8 KB
PC260011.JPG    47.4 KB
PC260012.JPG    45.2 KB
PC260013.JPG    38.4 KB
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Moving right along Woody. Now all you need to do is keep the hot rodder perfectionist side
from taking over and you just might be chipping ice this winter. Any body else around you
making an attempt at braving a cold Canadian Saturday barbecue out on the ice sheet???

I've had this old 'Round Oak' potbelly stove stored in the corner for decades, it's been
taking up space in the shop for way to long so I was gonna sell it. All this talk about
ice karting got me to thinking about repurposing the base instead. It would make
the perfect fire pit out there on the flow for warming the digits. Maybe I won't put
it up on Craig's list after all.
Denny G

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Round Oak Potbelly Stove Base 01 .JPG    41.4 KB
Round Oak Potbelly Stove Base 01 .JPG

Woodysrods Avatar
Okay Denny
Don't get me side tracked.
But, if you look closely or you can zoom in....just look to the left of the 38 Dodge back end in the
picture with my sink grill on, and you will see the cutest little parlour stove that I have been meaning
to restore for years.
I was going to cut the sinks to resemble period race car grill shells, but for the I racer I will leave it with
a "winter front" so to speak. We don't need frontal air flow in CycleKarts.....especially in the winter.
Would need that fire pit to warm ones you know what.eye rolling smiley
Brian
PS
Thanks for keeping the discussion going!,thumbs up You have kept the Forum interesting over the past month.
Without members like you this forum would die.sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-27 11:15 AM by Woodysrods.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I like the Ducati chain guard! Must be to keep the ice from building up on your sprocket and belt.
Wait! Where have I seen that seat before? Has it come down to cannibalism?

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 36966 by CmdBentaxle I like the Ducati chain guard! Must be to keep the ice from building up on your sprocket and belt.
Wait! Where have I seen that seat before? Has it come down to cannibalism?
Good Eye Dave
Needed something for a quick "visual" when I was taking the pictures before coming in for supper at 10:00 pm
last night.
The seat for the Ice racer will be much simpler....and have no padding.
Brian
PS
The extra TAV and sprocket I have laying around are #35 chain (have some of that to) and the
sprocket is a 72 tooth..........what do you think???
Brian

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Now Brian, you know don't you, they do make heated "what's it's" to keep "you know what's warm."

Yep, seen that there stove back in the shadows. I like taking a good long detailed look at a guys
shop when they post pictures. Ya never know what kind of ideas you might pick up.
Your pointing that out by the way, prompted me to go on a search for all those Round Oak
parts that have been scattered around from years of rearranging and one big freakin' move.
But.....find them, I did and now that it's fitted back together in one piece......I gotta sell it.
So there goes my iron fire pit.
Besides.....it's 56°F here today, taint no chance we're goona get a few inches of ice
on the pond anywhere in the near future. And I need the room if I'm ever gonna
get a buggy put together.
dg

Woodysrods Avatar
So I have the frame welded together, but got a little distracted by the TAV clocking.eye rolling smiley
Thus, the final decision has not been made on the wheelbase or motor mount style??
But maybe today?????confused smiley
Brian

Attachments:
PC310013.JPG    49 KB
PC310013.JPG

PC310016.JPG    46.6 KB
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Motor looks good there Brian. I thought you had posted somewhere, probably in
the clocking thread, that you were setting the engine behind the axle. I must have
misread that, it didn't sound right at the time I read it.
It would seem to me, that with with the extreme lack of traction that you have on
ice, that weight distribution would be all important. Under steer would be a major
problem unless you had the right amount of weight up front.
I can feel it now......powering thru a broadside drift on ice would be the best.
Not a true possibility on dry land with 6.5hp, not even on the dirt. Sure some of
the guys start to set up a drift but without the power to pull you thru, the back end
snaps back around straight on you pretty quick or else it get's away from you
all together for coming in to hot and you spin.
How's the temps up there....anything icing over yet???
And, how many victims have you set your sights on??
Or......are you gonna be the only one to brave the harsh bitter wind out on the lake?
Denny G

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-02 10:50 AM by Denny Graham.

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, ON, Canada   CAN
I was at a buddy's cottage in the Muskokas a couple of hours north over the holidays and there was ice thick enough to walk on:

Vince.

Attachments:
20181229_162539_resized.jpg    20.8 KB
20181229_162539_resized.jpg

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37151 by dBlast I was at a buddy's cottage in the Muskokas a couple of hours north over the holidays and there was ice thick enough to walk on:

Vince.
Thanks Vince
Is that a CycleKart way out there on the ice, just left of centre?eye popping smiley
Or is me that is left of centre?eye rolling smiley
Brian
Oh, and yes Denny, I was talking about clocking the TAV at 10 o'clock or 4 o'clock
and placing the axle forward or under the motor to maintain a 69" wheelbase..........but
Moving the motor ahead of the axle (which I agree works best) can be done by clocking at 6 o'clock
with a 71" wheelbase.
so............that is where I stand today.
May be using the Gas Tank as a head rest!eye rolling smiley

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Good, I thought maybe it was more of that age-related forgetfulness that's been
plaguing me lately.
Whether you're on ice, dirt or concrete, an axle bringing up the rear, should make
for a much better setup In my mind.
I'm not to concerned with the actual dimensions for the Riley. As I've posted numerous
times, me and the turkeys down in the pasture are probably the only ones that will ever
get to see my kart. So...my wheel base is coming in at 72", which in itself isn't all that
sacrilegious, but it's the tread that would get me banned from the bunch. The front is
out to 41" and the Azusa axle I bought stretches the rear out to a whappin' big, 46".
That makes the kart look a lot more in proportion to my eye, and it sure can't hurt
the way it sticks either. Fact is, I've even picked up a pair of 18" Honda wheels
and some new 18-3.00 Shinko rubber. I'm planning on that leveling out the frame
and making the Riley look much more like the original car.
dg

RROLDSX Silver Member Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
I think this is worth a repeat performance.

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37163 by RROLDSX I think this is worth a repeat performance.

I have only watched it about 50 times already...........maybe 58 times?smiling bouncing smiley
Brian

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I've get the chills just looking at that. Especially since you mentioned "frontal airflow".
I've never been very good with the cold weather, that is I'm not one to be out playing in
it cuz my digits freeze up on me no matter what I wear.
Talk about distractions Brian......
Now if I just let the thoughts run wild for a minute, if.....that engine were right up front
between your legs, and there was a simple half funnel shaped piece of insulated double
wall fiber glass for you to hide behind.....that might just keep you nice and toasty when
the wind and ice chips arei blowin' by.
dg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links