CycleKart Tech Forum

Little Tex's Miller Build Begins

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

littletex Avatar
littletex Blake Martindale
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex here,
Have a question for someone. Still hemhawing back and forth custom ladder frame or Stevenson formula but hold that thought for a second the question is, If I go Stevenson formula just exactly how does the motor get mounted/bolted to wood or how does the motor plate get in there welded or bolted what??? See the photo it's not definitively clear here for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks Little Tex.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
MGParts.jpeg    73.5 KB
MGParts.jpeg

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Once you have the frame rails mounted to the coffin (read pine box), and everything is aligned, then you can bolt or weld the engine plate to the frame. If you use bolts, you'll need some sort of sleeve inside the frame rail to keep it from crushing when you tighten the bolts.

S'all for now!

Speeddemon Avatar
Speeddemon Louis Poleet (Suspended)
Roslindale, MA, USA   USA
1970 CycleKart Custom "Rose"
Eh just a few dabs of dap construction adhesive and some brass wood screws you should be good to go.cheers

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
brady511d.2635.jpeg    35.2 KB
brady511d.2635.jpeg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Blake, I were to build a Stevenson, I would stay true to it up to the point of
that engine mount. Those flat plates are no way mount a motor. They would need to
be thick and heavy if expected not to twist and kick chains. I would either bolt with gussets (and sleeves, as Vic says) or weld two 1x3 crossmembers back there to put a standard mount plate on.

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Mounted on reasonable HARD plywood or hardwood works, bolted down. Been there...

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
He has. That stuff in the picture only looks to be about 1/2 inch thick though, Recall what you used on the ERA,
Rhys?

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, there!
Not of all Stevensons-styled CycleKarts are the same, but mostly were used a pair of steel square tubes of 3" x 1" (the same as for chassis), put crosswise, bolted (mostly) or welded, with steel or wood plate over it...
Ciao,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-01-28 03:50 PM by moto-klasika.

Attachments:
3fd5.jpg    30.9 KB
3fd5.jpg

b4a7.jpg    42.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
1723373563.jpg    52.2 KB
cyckle_cart_006.jpg    56.9 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
... a few more!

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
DSC09547.jpg    44.9 KB
DSC09547.jpg

ERAGls3.jpg    74.1 KB
RTArt5txt2.jpg    48.1 KB
DSC00070.jpg    47.7 KB
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
I used 1/2" ply, really hard stuff out of boat builders rubbish pile. I did use BIG washers under the motor mount bolt heads, (going upwards, ) and also a pusher bolt to hold the chain tension. I should have remembered that for last year at Tieton sad smiley

littletex Avatar
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex Here,
Thanks for the suggestions guys I'm getting this as the general idea I think ? I know crued drawing but you get it

Attachments:
Motor Mount.jpg    12.1 KB
Motor Mount.jpg

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Make those "stringers and cross bars of a decent size with vertical dimension and you should be good. Mine were 1" by what we call 16 gauge in one case and 1" angle in the other. Both worked for me. Big material is not over engineering in my belief, it's "over materialling". Birdcage Maserati is engineering smiling smiley

littletex Avatar
Azle, TX, USA   USA
LittleTex Here,
So I have read all the rants and raves on wheel options Stevenson formula etc. and some of the post get intense to almost nasty. Discussing cyclekarts is getting to be as bad as talking politics or religion they get heated but once you wade thru the muck and get to the straight poop its finally clear. While no one can tell anyone how to do their own thing rules and guidelines is what keeps us civilized. So with that I have decided to go Stevenson formula but my frame rail will be wood with the motor plate mounted to a metal box tube frame bolted inside the rails in back of course. I will make a monocaque fuselage type body also bolted inside the rails covered in thin aluminum sheeting. As for wheels I'll save up my duckies and buy from vintage kartco they got it down to a science if you buy these you will build with ease. You can always invent a better mouse trap, then why do they still sell those old simple neck breakers? because they WORK and their cheap. I figure Stevensons formula is the same keep it simple and inexpensive and you'll have more fun when you run. Will my materials and engineering survive the abuse I say stand by the ready dam the torpedoes full speed ahead and brace for collision, dam it man this is war I will win. Just so you know I'm not a purist by any means its that for my first build I want to stay in keeping with the original spirit of the hobby and not go overboard. I have set a budget of $2500.00 ish U.S. and will buy the wheels and drive train components new and will scrounge the bling and all sorts of things from any scrap source that look the part. And as for the ready made grill surround Brian ask about check out any office supply catalogue got to be in one of them. Progress has to stop for a few weeks due to medical issue when finished I hope to get back to the build and yes thanks for the wisdom it helped a lot in my decisions.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Blake, I like to hear a man come to the sensible approach you have determined.
Have at it. And have fun.
Also, I am a big fan of the wood frame. If I did a Stevenson, that's the same route I would go.

littletex Avatar
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex Here,
Thanks Dave everyone likes to hear a little validation once and a while soothes their broozed egos

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Blake, you will have an ideal CK, and have it done much more quickly than many others. I believe it will hold up just fine, and if there is an issue it will be fixed, by you, even more quickly.
You will be out there having fun.
Congratulations.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links