Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Mounting rear wheels...a different way?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Jameel Jameel Abraham
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA   USA
First post here. I joined the forum a couple months ago. I stumbled onto Cyclekarts while restoring my '69 Beetle, and the rest as they say is history. I'm building this as an industrial arts project with my niece and nephew. They are home schooled, so this will be their shop class.

Anyway, we've got our four ct90 wheels and are trying to figure out how they are mounted. Read through much of the forum and watched many of Dennis' videos. But one thing doesn't click for me. The ATV hubs many are using are simply bolted to the hub with what seems to be no regard for the hub being concentric with the axle, other than lining up the outside of the ATV hub's plate with the outside diameter of the ct90's aluminum hub. There is some play in the bolts and holes, so those don't provide a concentric registration either. So I stopped by a local go-kart supply house this week and found a couple hubs that seem to my eye to be a good candidate for remachining, so they fit the ct90 hub more precisely, and concentrically.

http://out2win.com/catalog/wheelhubsR.html Part # PRER1

This part has a rather small outer diameter compared to the ATV steel hubs, but the hole pattern is large enough that it could be bolted through the ct90 hub and still clear the ct90's central hub.

http://www.bmikarts.com/Billet-Aluminum-Wheel-Hub-for-Metric-Rim-1-or-1-14Bore_p_3144.html

This part looks even better, although its a bit larger than the ct90 hub, and the hole pattern is too large as well (4.3" circle). But its beefy and could be remachined.

I know both these ideas would not work with a free wheel, but only with a live axle. On that topic, does anyone have a better way of doing a free wheel than having the ATV hub spin directly on the axle? I'm thinking in particular of Victor's experience (http://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,12200,12200#msg-12200)

Thoughts?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Hey Jameel,
What a great shared project! I can't speak from experience other than seeing a bunch of these cars race at Tieton. I know what you mean about the hub arrangement but they beat the heck out of these cars, especially at the orchard race, and I don't recall any failures.

michaelbikel Mike S
Bridgeport, CT, USA   USA
I think mainly a lot of the guys use the NorthernTool hub because it just simply works.

You could also contact these guys: http://vintage-kart-company.myshopify.com/pages/racers-roasters as they make an alternative to the common hub most of us use.

As for the freewheel I have had 2 ideas: 1 just use bearings that fit the CT90 that have an ID of 3/4 (or/and) 1" and see if that works or...
use an idler similar to this and mount it in the fashion you would any other hub...

http://www.bmikarts.com/4-x-4-Billet-Aluminum-Idler-Hub-34-or-1-ID-Bearing_p_1644.html

For now I am going the dual keyed route until I can figure that part out...

Good luck have fun!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
A.J. Foyt Avatar
A.J. Foyt Joey Verpoorten
Battle Ground, WA, USA   USA
Ive been trying to find a design that would work better as well. Ive hunted for a long while. I thought of turning those hubs down that BMI has since they are a 5" OD. Only issue I have with that is the fact that the bolt holes would probably be right at the edge, not quite what I want to have on my hubs. Other thing I thought which I havent tried yet is to turn 2 pieces of aluminum down as sandwhich plates. Then weld them to the wheel. Problem with that is the wheels are cast and I dont think they would make a good weld joint with regular aluminum. I also thought of turning down Go Kart wheels to fit the inner diameter of the Honda rim, and then I could use the Go Kart hubs that would easily bolt right up. If I could only weld cast to regular aluminum I would be golden! I would easily go the Go Kart rim route.

gypo Avatar
gypo Doc J
powys, wales, UK   GBR
Bought and machined these to fit inside hub.

Attachments:
20150921_100331.jpg    22.8 KB
20150921_100331.jpg

20151002_123851.jpg    27.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
20151002_172225.jpg    37.4 KB
20151002_172233.jpg    35.7 KB
Jameel Jameel Abraham
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA   USA
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to take a closer look at the other hubs in the next week and I'll report back.

Stefann Stefan N
Bagshot, Surrey, UK   GBR
I’m trying very similar wheels and hubs. How did yours work out? Any chance of more details of your rear wheel to axle setup?
Thx

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
I bought the gokart type 1" hubs and turned them down to drop on the wheel against the drum area...then got the outer plates from VKC and drilled that pattern( which fits the Honda wheels) in the inner hubs...you have to grind down the Honda hub to clear the 3/4" nut that'll hold it all on.
It's easy enough to do and what I just mentioned is what a lot of karts have...I'd guess the weak spot is the spokes at this point but I'm no engineer. No matter what you machine or make to fit these wheels...it's still a spoked wheel and doesn't have the benefit of a rear suspension normally or the ability to lean like a bike does when cornering...that's the downside I'd say.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
I'll try to take some pics of how we got the hubs set up, sounds like we kinda do what Bruce is talking about but with some doin it wrong sprinkled in there.

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
If it works...it isn't wrong......I'll bet you're just fine whatever you did

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
This was my solution to rear hubs. I didn't like the idea of bolting through the wheel the way the go kart hubs work. So I used the wheel center to mount it, with pins for the actual drive. It requires that you make you own axle, though. Check it out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-23 09:49 AM by 1908Rick.

roadster1 Avatar
roadster1 Silver Member Allen Bass
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
Great idea

1934 Maserati 2.9L G.P.

PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Rick
Very cool, nicely done! Now you need to make some spinner knock-offs for it.

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
In reply to # 36306 by PDXBryan Rick
Very cool, nicely done! Now you need to make some spinner knock-offs for it.

Bryan,

Done and done.

Attachments:
Finished 33.jpg    50.5 KB
Finished 33.jpg

Finished 5.jpg    63 KB
PDXBryan Bryan Dickerson
Troutdale, OR, USA   USA
Damn Rick, that is sharp and sharp!!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Pre War

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links