CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Newbie looking for more info

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

budkitc Douglas Kitchen
Hudsonville, MI, USA   USA
Hi all,
I have been on this site before and asked many questions. I was revisiting the site again and another post sparked my interest. A lot of you suggest starting with the Stevenson Classic Design - 2 steel rails bolted to a wooden box. To get a rolling chassis for the Stevenson formula is there any welding required?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
I'm not sure but at that point, I guess drilling and bolting everything together would work. Maybe someone who's don't it will chime in with a better answer.

Smoky Avatar
Smoky Silver Member Don Schmok
Salmon Arm, BC, Canada   CAN
Yes, some welding makes it much easier. I pretty much learned to weld while building my CycleKart. My welds at the end of the build were much better than at the beginning.

Having said that, with some carefull cutting and preparing of all the bits, a welder could put the whole works together in less than an hour.

1929 Riley Bitsa

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
What Don said!
Where there is a will there is a way!........even if you don't have a welder or don't weld yourself.
Bolting things together takes way too long, adds weight, and eventually rattles loose!
These CK do vibrate more than would ever think.
Good Luck with your build, and we are here for you.
Ask away!
Brian

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Douglas, you don't need a welder but much more patients without one. Every joint you bolt together needs a crush sleeve, but is very doable.

I'm going wood rails on my next one, I've seen it done and it produces a strong light cyclecart.

S'all for now!

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Doug, are you asking how much welding is involved in a classic Stevenson build?
If so, the answer is, little to none. The body is glued and screwed together plywood to form a ridged torsion box, and steel frame rails are attached to the outside with carriage bolts. The front spreader is allthread run through a tube, and the engine mount plates are bolted accross the frame rails(using crush sleeves to prevent tubing collapse as Vic advises). The crossmembers you see welded into many so-called Stevenson builds were not on the originals, and some would say, unnecessary and heavy.

As for a bolted together chassis? Anyone who has driven my Ferrari over the past few years can tell you how successful the method can be.

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
You can build most all of it without welding, but buying a 200 dollar welder and getting some scrap steel from the junk pile and learning to do a decent job isn't hard. It isn't scary, and once you have it you'll wonder how you got by without it. You can fab stuff up quicker and While I have mine out and taking a break I weld up silly stuff like a chain into a snake with spark plug rattles and spoons for a head and my Daughter sells them to a shop in her new hometown. It's really easy once you get where you can lay down a bead and doesn't take that long. I use a stick welder 110V inverter type and it's done everything I've asked it and never threw a breaker. Like I say not needed, but a welder makes you more flexible in your options. That being said, I'm leaning toward a wood non Stevenson style plywood frame. But it will need brackets and such. Just press on, be patient, never give up.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Doug I wish you were closer.......so I could give you a hug and whisper in your ear.....Weld, Weld, Weld.!!hot smiley
That hug part may sound a little creepy, but I mean well!confused smiley
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-19 10:35 AM by Woodysrods.

littletex Avatar
littletex Blake Martindale
Azle, TX, USA   USA
Little Tex here,
I chose to go with a plywood laminated frame structure withe torsion box body all bolted together. There will be some welding involved probably on the front axle assembly and misc. brackets and such but could bypass welding that stuff as well if I had to. I have attached a photo while not what anyone of us would build but it examples the point of bolt together kart it can be done with careful planning and design. The other two photo's are my take on it and how I'm doing it.

Attachments:
Cyclekart metal frame.jpg    30.7 KB
Cyclekart metal frame.jpg

Frame.jpg    33 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Frame Rail 10.jpg    31.8 KB
andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Just for reference, I have done absolutely no welding and managed to build something quite functional.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

Attachments:
20150502_202749.jpg    38.6 KB
20150502_202749.jpg

20180613_210604.jpg    62.9 KB
20180909_212847.jpg    53.6 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1934 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links