Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Opinions on alternate wheels

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Wikispeeder Bruce C
Tewksbury, MA, USA   USA
I'm working on a design for the *next* cyclekart (of course), and for the sake of appearance it would be preferable to use 14 inch rims. I know this is relatively common in Europe, but less so in the US. What's the consensus on using alternate wheels? I'm not going to run at Tieton or Scottsdale, and I doubt I'll be shunned at the gate here in the Northeast. cool smiley The primary reason is aesthetic and structural. I can closely emulate the inspiration car without having to drop the floor pan, and the proportions work better all the way around. I've heard various things regarding the durability of the 14 inch aluminum rims, some saying they are problematic, others saying they seem fine. I'm still searching for steel rims in 14 inch.

Anyway, I'm just throwing the topic open for comments. My take is that the 17 inch wheels were originally used because there was a common and cheap supply of used ones back in the early days of the CK movement. We've lost that ready supply of wheels, and while the market has supplied us with a source for new ones, once we've moved away from rummaging our scrapheaps to build fun little karts, the lines get a bit blurry. Not looking to start a religious war, just curious about where this fits in the "spirit" of cyclekarting.

- Bruce

"Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught." - Winston Churchill

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I think 16s are the best, plus there is an awesome 30's looking tire to go with them. https://fortnine.ca/en/shinko-classic-240-tire

S'all for now!

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
If memory serves the Honda XR80 had 14 inch rear wheels, and the Honda SL70 had a 16 inch front. You might check as my head has taken some pretty good licks so no guarantee there. I'm probably going to err on the 18 inch size and use a very low profile tire. The suggested tires are just too hard to find, too expensive, or just rusted up junk. I want to stay the course but certain deviations are inevitable.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 35871 by MichaelR If memory serves the Honda XR80 had 14 inch rear wheels, and the Honda SL70 had a 16 inch front. You might check as my head has taken some pretty good licks so no guarantee there. I'm probably going to err on the 18 inch size and use a very low profile tire. The suggested tires are just too hard to find, too expensive, or just rusted up junk. I want to stay the course but certain deviations are inevitable.
Michael
I don't know where you are coming from with these comments? But, 17" tires and rims are as readily available as every other size, and if you do your research, are most time less expensive.........even for us poor Canadians buying with our deflated dollar!
I too have been looking at 12" & 14" tires and rims for a "scaled down CycleKart" for my grandson???
The fact that Jack has brand new 17" rims available to the "CycleKart Community" at a price far less then finding old, bent, rusted, nicked, rims on ebay one at a time.....then paying individual shipping. sandblasting, straightening, painting, etc.
It make very little sense to re invent the wheel (pardon the pun) to step outside the "Stevenson Formula"???????????????
On the off chance that you will throw your CK in your car, van, or PU, and attend a sanctioned CycleKart event somewhere, sometime,......it is just best to build within the guidelines ( as tested and found to be FUN!) and be ready to actually be a part of this fast growing community.
It is always easy to let our imaginative minds run wild to go, what we may think is that extra step forward........but at what expense?
Taking something fun and simple and changing it, just for the sake of changing it, may not be good for the "game"!
I suggest you quit dreaming about "What If" and get building!
Trust me on this one......been there done that!
Brian

The above comments are to be taken as positive re enforcement........not negative, or confrontational in any way!
Good Roads
And
Good Luck with your build.......!thumbs upthumbs up
ws

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Yes, don't be too quick to through in the towel on 17"s.
There is actually a better selection of tires now than there were a few years ago.
Duro, Shinko, Michelin, IRC all around 25 bucks USD.
Quite a few dirtbike wheels besides Ct90s as well.

Now, if the car just really looks better on 16s, then sure.

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Well said and well meant. I haven't actually thrown in the towel on anything just yet. True the 17's have a good selection of tires available. I have one large motorcycle salvage yard 40 miles away and he is so high on everything you can't even see the cloud he is on. He wanted $150 each U.S. and the few others I could drive to in a few hours have none. E bay has a lot of trash ones, and sticker shock on the nice ones. And although VKC has some awesome stuff I can go one inch larger on the rim size for half the price or a little more with shipping as those wheels aren't suddenly in demand from every corner of the country. I'm still working on it, and building anything right now entails cutting trees up just to get to the barn. Don't sell me short, I'm going to get this thing built but I'm not rushing in and having to redo things three times from poor planning. I've pretty much updated to a satisfactory design on the wooden frame after seeing another Kart it gave me some ideas to simplify that project and cut the cost. The parts for the front end are sourced but not ordered yet and I have the makings for the wood bending jig on hand. Have to build a steamer box, but that's really simple as I have that available in the barn if I ever get through to it. We have a burn permit hold right now because if something got away the emergency services would have to pull away from what they are currently doing and we're spread pretty thin. I once heard an old blacksmith say " Patience is all you really need, because if you have patience everything just seems to fall in place". Thanks for the input though because I do lose track of the path on occasion and take none of it as an insult. Too old for that.

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
This car off the registry used cheap trailer wheels.....I doubt he'll ever ruin one.

https://www.cyclekartclub.com/registry/REDCHIEF53

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Michael,

These might be an option: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pit-bike-wheel-17-front-BARE-wheel-BIG-WHEEL-LUCKY-MX-CW-RFZ/152270373903. Though it's a UK listing you might be able to find something similar, or possibly ones with the type of hub on my 14" ones, see photo.

Attachments:
20181020_151707.jpg    62.1 KB
20181020_151707.jpg

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Thanks for the heads up on these. I'll look into it.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
The other thing about some of them Michael, is they'll take 25mm bearings, and the disc mounting flange can be used as the drive connection. remove 4 bolts and you can have one wheel drive on whichever side you want, the free running wheel is on bearings too. There's a table of bearing sizes in the drawings thread.

Chris

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Yes I saw that. I've also found a few dirt bike wheels that have the same hub design. Still on the hunt but lots else to do before just getting frustrated, no time for that. Thanks

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
For ease of bearing selection if you keep your pitbike wheel search to SDG versions, you have a choice of diameters, 32 thick spokes, steel rims available, and usually cheap.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 35889 by MichaelR Yes I saw that. I've also found a few dirt bike wheels that have the same hub design. Still on the hunt but lots else to do before just getting frustrated, no time for that. Thanks
Yes, start clearing trees so you can get to your shop/barn!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Brian

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Been at it two days. I can see the barn from where I stopped. LOL It's a shame none of this wood is what I need for the frame. Been through two chainsaw chains so far.

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Thanks for the wheel info Rhys!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1950 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links