CycleKart Tech Forum

Paint

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Paint
MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
OK so being as it's slow, and being as I am about one third way through a bottle of really nice Bourbon which is a Christmas present so I need to drink it so I don't insult the gifter. I've been thinking. Yes I know here he goes again, but this kind of bothers me. OK so the original Jappic racer was plain aluminum, and by the photos pretty oxidized, or dirty, or both, anyway...........So opinions on whether or not it is sacrilegious to paint the car some less than optically astounding period correct color to enhance the visual magnitude, crowd pleasingness, and overall "hey man that's awesome, reminds me of my girlfriends newest tattoo" look, or should one stay the course and emulate the character, overall dull appearance brought on by actually racing the thing, and simply that the builder thought paint was for sissy's original aura? Yes mankind has been plagued by such seeming to others trivial contemplations since Adam found out that the apple he ate actually had seeds and planted them soon after leaving the garden ensuring his own innermost turmoil and penchant for self destruction, but I digress.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
Several ways to go here

1)period correct and brand new unleashed from a barn/shop

2)rode hard and filthy after fighting it's way across Europe or Africa or even the Mediterranean

3)found in 1/2 tore down barn in 1962...clean plugs, fresh gas and vroom, vroom nothing but smiles and maybe bat poopgrinning smiley

4)or maybe a combo...

Best part is it is your minds idea of perfection....pass the bourban and get to work smoking smiley

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, Michael!
As you are building Ck for yourself - you could build it like as you want, including colour.
There were Bugatti automobiles in other colour than blue - but blue is its mark, the same as the horse-show radiator and fishtail for sport-racing models.
The same is with red for Ferrari and Alfa-Romeo or BRG for English specials, sport and racing automobiles. Or white for vintage racing Mercedes-Benz cars.

https://primotipo.com/tag/jappic-cycle-car/

As the original isn't preserved, we could judge only by old black/white photos. But... for sure that is was finished with silver polished aluminium body!

Luckily, there are two replicas under construction!

There is one Jappic CK-replica built by the member of our CK-club:

https://www.cyclekartclub.com/registry/JAPPIC001
the
https://www.autoshrine.com/registry/JAPPIC001

Another replica is under almost finished by Adrian Ade Ward from the UK:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/55288722@N00/sets/72157630009634023/

https://en-gb.facebook.com/pg/Jappic-recreation-288202517984662/posts/

Two more videos.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Jappic-recreation-288202517984662/videos/?ref=page_internal

I suppose that it would be useful if you contact at least one of constructors, for many details if you want a good replica.
But if that is not important - you could change anything you want, but then it wouldn't be Jappic record-cyclecar replica, in the full size or as CK.

Ciao,
Zorna

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-10 06:06 PM by moto-klasika.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Jappic cyclecar replica, CK-club.jpg    48.4 KB
Jappic cyclecar replica, CK-club.jpg

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Thanks Zoran! Ilike everyone's input and value each and every one. I just love the look, but all of the paintwork on the members karts looks very nice and adds some spice to them.

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Imagine 90 years from now, a 12 year old boy is cleaning out his great grandfather's garage and finds your CK. What do you want him to see? That's how you should paint your car.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well I din't think about reading this thread cuz I'm so far away from
painting my kart that it was of little interest to me.
But since things are slow around Shangri La....holidays and
all you know....I did run thru the comments.
The solution from my vantage point is a simple one. A big
rattle can of Rustoleum Aluminum (aka Silver) paint. Still looks
like bare aluminum, protects the metal from further demise and
cleans up easily.
Dilemma solved!
dg

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Thanks everyone. I think I will stay with the aluminum color, with blue accents or such. Blue on top along the whole car maybe with a small pin stripe on edge. If I go paint that's drifted off from the original.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Michael,
Are you planning to skin the car in aluminum sheet, like the real one?
If so, time and oxidation are for once your friend. Just let it alone and enjoy the natural process.
If you plan to paint it with aluminum color, the same process will occur.
Either way, it won't take long.

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Still up in the air on skinning. I haven't done much metal shaping but it looks doable if I take my time, but learning as you go on aluminum is expensive. I have worked with fiberglass before so there is that and paint it to match, or I read an article on mixing aluminum powder with the last coat of resin and it looks really nice after you scuff it with a pad. Either way I'm far from there. I did get some fab work on a set of pedals, but haven't welded them up yet. Few more pieces to fab. I'm basing them on the ones in the original Jappic, but they won't be suspended from the top, but more conventionally mounted to the floor. Also I can't find it now but using a motorcycle front shoe brake hub as a rear brake but still studying. The bonus is that it would give me an operating speedometer. Lots of brain work still to do. Lots of bourbon still to enjoy. Life is basically good.

Re: Paint
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Perhaps this photo of the original might help?

Attachments:
safe_image.jpg    30.7 KB
safe_image.jpg

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Thanks Rhys! I have that photo and many more. I'm afraid the purist in me is compelled to give it the color of aluminum so that the Kart is more recognizable. Love the nice paint on so many of the members Karts, but alas I have done some sketch ups in Gimp 2.8 and none of them do a thing for me. Starting to chomp at the bit a little on getting this project launched, but life is in the way right now battling insurance company for the Hurricane Michael damage. Chin up, straighten the shoulders and press on.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Aluminum is cheap and I have found it easier to work with, than I had originally anticipated!smiling bouncing smiley
If you want it to look like the original use aluminum, or ir will look like an aluminum coloured
marshmallow replica.eye rolling smiley
Brian

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Um, thanks for that, I think. Seriously when I get to that point I'll definitely have decided. Maybe more of an aluminum cigar.

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 36833 by MichaelR Um, thanks for that, I think. Seriously when I get to that point I'll definitely have decided. Maybe more of an aluminum cigar.

thumbs upthumbs up
Merry Christmas!

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1938 CycleKart German

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links