CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Quarter Elliptic Question

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Yes Rhys, I got the printed faces from you for the ones I made....so they look much the same.
As I rubber bushed mine as an insulator, I would think the bushings (even though they are metal sleeved)
would not last long with the movement and rearward torque.eye rolling smiley
I also made my the stars in a spider shape so my shocks are totally functional, and adjustable, as the originals!
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-11 10:43 AM by Woodysrods.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
PB261521.JPG    47.1 KB
PB261521.JPG

PB261520.JPG    38.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Those, both my "scale" ones and the full size are used for axle location with quarter elliptics, and mine are totally adjustable, and functional, (and well used on a few of mine) and they do work. Apart from that, how much wear do you expect to get on a cyclekart that will probably never do much over a few hundred miles in it's lifetime?

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Hey Rhys.....ya'll got to take into consideration that we got a lot more wide open spaces here
in the states and north of the 49th compared to NZ or the UK. So......100 miles is only a trip
to the hardware store for us.
But seriously, if I ever get mine finished....I'm planning on putting a lot of miles on here at
Shangri La. In the summer I enjoy my time while perched on the John Deere for 8 hours,
three times a week. Heck....I might just tie the Troy-Bilt to the back of the Riley when I'm
tooling round the pasture in the evening, just so I'm not wasting any time.

Brian...what is it that you've used for the tension washer??? I din't get the "cider shape" that
you posted, what's a "cider"? I was thinking about using some sheet spring steel and getting
a bunch of spider washers cut with water jet. But water jet is pretty expensive so I'm looking
and alternatives. It wouldn't take a very fancy die in the hydraulic press to dish them, and
something that small I could heat treat with a torch and bucket of oil.
But....looking at the spider springs you used....if they're already made that would save me a
lot of hassle. For my arms I'm planning on stacking the sheet so I can machine a bunch at
one time. Again, water jet looks to be to expensive for a small quantity of parts.
dg

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Damm spell check.....and poor proof reading???angry smiley
"Spider" not cider.
I to looked for ready made ones, but got frustrated and impatient and made my own from
a cheap mandrel I bought for polishing wheel. Ground the star shop and hand filed!
And Rhys I think you are right! Wear is probably not a concern on a CycleKart.....even though
I was quite amazed at how much were was on the front axle to kink pin on the Alfa when I got
it after only two years of use??confused smiley
I used my plasma cutter to cut all those lolly pops, then bolted them together and ground the all
at once for uniformity.
They are pretty, but a lot of work for a CycleKart!
Trying to keep the Ice Racer much simpler, so a tubular or flat upper bar (adjustable) is the current
plan.
Brian

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Cidre, spider, rider, ider...what's in a name anyway......we know what cha mean.
I'm not ready for shocks yet, but when I get to them, I'm gonna steal all the ideas
I can from here there and everywhere, and put together my own version. I did cut
down a Poplar a couple of years back, ran some thru the planer and cut some disc's
out. If that worked for Andre Hartford all those years than I don't see why it won't work
for us. I can see some use, Finally...... for the metal spinning tools I made up a couple
decades ago. With out the wood being contained in a cup so to speak, the discs would
just split apart. Studying pictures they were contained in a shallow cup between the arms.
WAY off topic again I see!!!
So what was your final decision with the springs???
dg

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37421 by Denny Graham
So what was your final decision with the springs???
dg

KISS at this point with Ski Doo springs I cut down.
Unfortunately I got distracted by the MGA the last few days (building the exhaust and finishing up
the welding on the chassis).
But I will get back to CycleKarts by Sunday I hope.
Did pick up bolts, bushings and heim ends today, to build a set of spindles!thumbs up
Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-12 12:10 PM by Woodysrods.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Man....I'm resisting with all my might. I've had this nice solid original 1954 Chevy 3/4ton
sitting in the shop for a few years now. Getting it's mechanicals restored was my focus
three years ago, when I found these here CK's one night while surfing the net. It only took
a few days before I put it on the back burner till I got a kart together.
I gotta pass by her every time I walk thru the shop, and I reach out and give her a pat on
her rear fender, and wisper, " I'll get back to you one of these days baby! "
And resist I will.....till the Riley is done.
Denny G
Sandwich, IL

Bow Avatar
Bow Reverend Bow
Yuma, AZ, USA   USA
1929 Morgan 3 Wheeler "BME RIP Special"
In reply to # 37338 by Denny Graham . We're simply building basic karts that will max out at 40 mph or so and get
banged around a parking lot of pasture.
Fin.
Denny G

Ha! Speak For Yourself!

Bow

Cut it with and Axe, Beat it to Fit, Paint it to Match

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Which part rubs you the wrong way Bow....the 40mph, the parking lot or the pasture????
Point I was trying to make was that these are not high speed, heavy weight, grand prix
or grand national race cars that we're building here. Neither are they light weight 130 mph
shifter karts or competition for a Polaris RZR.
dg

Brian,

What's up with the pie tins on the front axle? Are you cooking up something brake looking? Curious minds need to know !

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37607 by Mr fixit Brian,

What's up with the pie tins on the front axle? Are you cooking up something brake looking? Curious minds need to know !

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley
The Miller 122 had very large brake drums! So, to simulate the drums I need something that scaled at 10".
My first thought was a cake pan, but when I went searching the net I found 10" Pizza pans with a nice rolled
lip and everything!hot smiley
Unfortunately, they were only sold in large quantities, and most place I researched were sold outsad smiley
But, the next day while in town I stopped at the local Restaurant supply warehouse.....and they had stacks of them
at a very cheap price!
So now they are there for "Show".
And now you know! tongue sticking out smiley
Brian

Attachments:
f99d49c2fcf7433b73c2b9a235a5d467.jpg    48.2 KB
f99d49c2fcf7433b73c2b9a235a5d467.jpg

7-12-2012-Comprehensive-survey-019-900x600.jpg    61.8 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
Salt Lake City, UT, USA   USA
1910 CycleKart Great Britain "Sargette"
Sargette's pretty crude... but she's supposed to be that way.

Attachments:
001.jpg    51.1 KB
001.jpg

002.jpg    49.8 KB
004.jpg    24.9 KB
005.jpg    30.9 KB
Woodysrods Avatar
Thanks Kelly
We hope to meet you and Sarge at Tieton this year!hot smiley
Brian

Kelly Wood Avatar
Salt Lake City, UT, USA   USA
1910 CycleKart Great Britain "Sargette"
You bet. My plan is to bring three cars, then drive 20 mph through town... because the front of Sargette is really just a guillotine on wheels

Then the Austin and Lil' Miss Bacfire.

Yep.

In reply to # 37621 by Woodysrods Thanks Kelly
We hope to meet you and Sarge at Tieton this year!hot smiley
Brian

Attachments:
20180901_185117.jpg    61.4 KB
20180901_185117.jpg

50540357_1022909511250509_2077888809684434944_n.jpg    68.7 KB
50020069_1022909651250495_3987659465393438720_n.jpg    42 KB
Woodysrods Avatar
20 mph.................yah for the first minute and a half????????????eye rolling smiley
The kid will come out in you by that time!hot smiley
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1959 CycleKart Replica

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links