AutoShrine Sponsor

fredvv44 Avatar
fredvv44 Fred Veenschoten
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1935 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Walden"
1976 GMC Motorhome "Alice"
2003 JZR Trike "Canoe"
In reply to # 5479 by moto-klasika Fred,
Good idea for simple, light and cheap rear suspension!
Some more details should be welcomed.
Ciao, Zoran
Here is a top view that shows more detail. The green lines are the bungee. A rubber pad would go between the frame and subframe as a rebound cushion.
I also changed the background of the other drawing from black to white. More visible now.
Fred

Fred V
www.jzrusa2.blogspot.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 10:33 PM by fredvv44.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Karts top.jpg    19.2 KB
Karts top.jpg

kubfarmer George smith
Oriental, NC, USA   USA
Installing a bungee suspension requires some thought and planning of the suspension components. You have to include a means to stretch an hold each wrap as you install the multiple wraps. The shortcoming of a bungee suspension is that it only absorbs shock in one direction . Unlike a spring the rebound is a sudden stop. the need for suspension on an aircraft is much different than a vehicle. In an aircraft you only need to absorb the shock of a landing. the rebound is not so important. also on an aircraft the diameter of the tire comapered to the diameter of the wheel is much greater. the large tire provides some rebound flexibility because of the designed in deflection of the tire upon landing. here is link showing installation of a bungee suspension on a Kitfox airplane.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello to all,

As I noticed we actually finished comments and answers on question in topic "Rear axle mounting"...
So, I think that it would be better to continue our discussion about alternative solutions for suspension of small motorised vehicles, including Cycle-Karts, but not only them - at CUSTOM KARTS FORUM. Therefore, I opened new topic there under title: "Custom Karts - Techique: suspension"...

I will later try to find some sketches about elastic-cord suspension for early air-crafts, with wheels similar to Cycle-karts, or cycle-cars... maybe, some light cars too. Of course, there could be found some other systems of simple, light and cheap suspension for small motorised vehicles, better then bungee-cord suspesnion.

Regards, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
I will comment geroge's thoughts at new topic in CUSTOM KART FORUM: "Custom Karts - Techique: suspension"...

In reply to # 5481 by kubfarmer Installing a bungee suspension requires some thought and planning of the suspension components. You have to include a means to stretch an hold each wrap as you install the multiple wraps. The shortcoming of a bungee suspension is that it only absorbs shock in one direction . Unlike a spring the rebound is a sudden stop. the need for suspension on an aircraft is much different than a vehicle. In an aircraft you only need to absorb the shock of a landing. the rebound is not so important. also on an aircraft the diameter of the tire comapered to the diameter of the wheel is much greater. the large tire provides some rebound flexibility because of the designed in deflection of the tire upon landing. here is link showing installation of a bungee suspension on a Kitfox airplane.

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Exactly what I was thinking to begin with. Bungees front and rear.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Exactly what I was thinking to begin with. Bungees front and rear. Will have to include dampers too.

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
The piper cub, and a few others had circular bungee cords for landing gear suspension. Very sturdy and could work well. Just goggle landing gear shock cords

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
As did the Pitts Special that I built, which is exactly the same as Piper used on
his light tube and fabric aircraft. I also built a Piper Vagabond (Wag-a-bond) clone
which used that same exact design.
In this thread, George Smith a few years back, hit the nail on the head when he said,
the bungee cord suspension is very stiff and really only absorbs the shock load
from landing. I found the fat tires were basically the only suspension during taxi.
Bungee for CK suspension......bad idea.....but that's just my opinion.
dg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links