CycleKart Tech Forum

Rear axle mounting

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

T Hilde Avatar
T Hilde Todd Hildebrandt
Faribault, MN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart Stevenson "A-C Special"
I'm a little confused on this. Are you guys fishing the cage down the inside of the frame rail? All the pictures on this seem really vague.

Thanks.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You can either drill the frame and put your axle on a bearing carrier attached to the outside of frame or weld on a carrier above or below the frame. It all depends on your CG, if you want it lower put the bearing carrier above the frame.

S'all for now!

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
On my ERA the bearing carrier is on the inside of the frame, (not down the tubes) on the Flatiron it will be almost 140mm above the frame.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
John Matthews Avatar
Elk Rapids, MI, USA   USA
If you go with mounting the axle carrier above the frame you will need to compensate on the front end if you want the car to sit level. The simplest method is putting the axle through the frame if you are using straight tubes. Accommodating the front springs gets complex when you drop the rear so if you're going for a "Stevenson" build I would definitely opt for through the frame rails....

Cheers,

John

javenlevi Avatar
javenlevi Charles Brackenbury
ELLINGTON, CT, USA   USA
My ck uses angled side rails and the bearing flanges allow compensation, so it was easy to mount them through the rails.

Attachments:
Hub 5.jpg    28 KB
Hub 5.jpg

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
In reply to # 5456 by John Matthews If you go with mounting the axle carrier above the frame you will need to compensate on the front end if you want the car to sit level. The simplest method is putting the axle through the frame if you are using straight tubes. Accommodating the front springs gets complex when you drop the rear so if you're going for a "Stevenson" build I would definitely opt for through the frame rails....

Cheers,

John

My front axle is dead straight and is over the frame with radius arms, an A frame and bungee cord suspension. Designed, part made and not ready for photos, but dead simple and no expense for hard to find (for us) springs.

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Rhys,
I just wanted to suggest the same!
(knowing from theory and hisotry, but you from practic design, too!)

In that case chassis would be "underslung": both axles above chassis, known well in history of automobilism. The best, as you done: quite low chassis and front axle simple, straight tube! I suppose that there would be springs above the chassis, too. Could be two parallel semy-eliptic, or maybe trasnverse?

Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

Attachments:
American Underslung auto.jpg    49 KB
American Underslung auto.jpg

Underslung-front.jpg    58.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Underslung-rear.jpg    56.1 KB
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Zoran, multiple times on the forum are the difficulty for a number of people getting the springs economically, which is why I won't have any true springs. The suspension medium is the bungee cord (like Issigonis lightweight)

DavidMGA1600 Avatar
DavidMGA1600 David Lake
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia   AUS
1960 MG MGA "Dads Car"
1961 CycleKart Race Car "Team Ferrari"
Is bungee cord called the same the world over??
Don't know. Here is the very basic form of the bungee cord.
Very well known in OZ and NZ.

David

1960 MGA 1600 Convertible,
Gold Coast, Australia.

Attachments:
images-2.jpeg    8.5 KB
images-2.jpeg

T Hilde Avatar
T Hilde Todd Hildebrandt
Faribault, MN, USA   USA
2016 CycleKart Stevenson "A-C Special"
OK, I saw in a video of the MonoCar and got an answer. Both cages around the bearing then bolted to the frame. Now, are you guys putting sleeves inside the rail to prevent crushing?

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
I do wherever there is any bolt passing through a hollow section regardless of it's load.

fredvv44 Avatar
fredvv44 Fred Veenschoten
Pensacola, FL, USA   USA
1935 Morgan 3 Wheeler "Walden"
1976 GMC Motorhome "Alice"
2003 JZR Trike "Canoe"
funny you should mention bungee. In designing the Austin7 I played with a rear suspension design idea. Bungee would tie the end of the magenta frame to the blue sub frame that is pivoted forward of the bungee location. Sorry the sub frame doesn't show up very well. The spring shown would be fake.
Fred

Fred V
www.jzrusa2.blogspot.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-28 05:46 PM by fredvv44.

Attachments:
Karts.jpg    18.7 KB
Karts.jpg

John Matthews Avatar
Elk Rapids, MI, USA   USA
Yes,

Bungee can hold almost anything!!!!

Please post pictures even if it's not ready, we really want to see progress and most of us are trying many different things before coming to a solution that works.

I like the underslung frame idea but with my possible driving areas I'm concerned with having enough ground clearance. Otherwise I would just go drive my racing karts and not bother building this crazy thingwinking smiley

What I'm learning as I go along is that the "formula" is there for a reason. When I started building modified racing kart engines I had the good fortune to apprentice with one of the guys who makes the "formula" (cams, cranks, rods, porting, etc.) Since I have that experience I understand what is needed to make my own "formula" and why many of the things people try don't work out. It takes a lot of experimentation to come up with something new that works as well or better than what those before you have done. Not that it's a bad idea to try new things, just that you have to be willing to accept your experiments might not work. At least with cyclekarts I can always weld up holes and put things back where they really belong. With racing kart motors sometimes you just end up with a pile of scrap metaldrinking smiley

I wonder, way back when I knew someone that was planning on using urethane instead of springs. I don't think he ever really tried it out but this might be just the place to experiment....

Of course it might mean not building to the "formula" but then who cares if you're having fun and learning something.

Cheers,

John

Attachments:
ARC 6586 Two Piece Crank.JPG    56.3 KB
ARC 6586 Two Piece Crank.JPG

moto-klasika Avatar
David,
According to your picture, I feel that we think the same what is bungee-cord?

Rhys - great idea.
I was thinking a lot about alternative way to obtain simple, light and cheap springs for my future (possibly built) light motorised quadricycle...

In Belgrade, we had a few workshops that could build any size and any type of leaf springs, even coil (spiral) springs but, I am not sure if they are still alive. Here in Swiss, I couldn't find anything and if found, that would be too expensive.

I am expecting your first photos with big hope!

Maybe that would be something as was used on early types of Flying Flea air-plane, as on attached photos (not very clear, I am afraid). Some antic airplanes used the same system. Probably that they must obtain axle moving only up-down, and not side-to-side, or back-rear...

Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

Attachments:
flying flea-suspension (1).jpg    58.2 KB
flying flea-suspension (1).jpg

flying flea-suspension (2).jpg    52.6 KB
flying flea-suspension (3).jpg    48.4 KB
flying flea-suspension (4).jpg    62.5 KB
moto-klasika Avatar
Fred,
Good idea for simple, light and cheap rear suspension!
Some more details should be welcomed.
Ciao, Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1927 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links