CycleKart Tech Forum

Show Us your TAV Clocking

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
One more thing (actual two)!
With the motor I can reline the seat back more for more aerodynamics "and" can keep
the wheelbase at my 69" target.
Like Denny said to move the motor forward and not be scrunched up, the wheelbase
moves to 72" in a hurry......which again, may not be a bad thing for a "Ice Racer".
And REMEMBER frozen lakes are not a common here in the Okanagan Valley either
so I have to be thinking "Dirt Oval" as well!
Yes Dave....I can't wait to join you guys a Slyme Dawgsmiling bouncing smiley
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Mine is identical to Rick's. 10 o'clock.

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37056 by CmdBentaxle Mine is identical to Rick's. 10 o'clock.

Thanks Dave
I was hoping to see yours........Thanks for chiming in!thumbs up
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I ya'll get much more weight out back of the axle guys, you're gonna be pullin' wheelies out of the
corners, that is....if you make it round the corner.
And just an observation on my part, but....I think you might just need that winter hibernation weight
Brian.
dg

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
Wheelies?

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Ok....maybe not wheelies with you on board Stretch, but with
a little fella like me on board.....well.....I'll bet I could benefit
from some ballast up front of a rear/rear engine kart.
We tried running a thread a year or so back asking for guys
to weigh in. Don did a super job with a set of professional
computerized scales and a few others contributed.
I sure wish you could find the time Rick.... and the scales to
add your weight and balance with/without the driver on board.
You must have done a bit of that while engineering those
torsion bars???
My logic Brian, for veering off course is, that the clocking of
the TAV has a lot to do with where the weight of the engine
ends up in relation to the axle. Which has a lot to do with
the weight distribution. Which contributes to the handling
of the car/kart.
Shades of "Connections ala James Burke" you know!
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-31 07:19 AM by Denny Graham.

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
You're overthinking it Dennis....put it wherever is easy for you........have you ever seen one of these doing wheelies??

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
In reply to # 37074 by Denny Graham
I sure wish you could find the time Rick.... and the scales to
add your weight and balance with/without the driver on board.
You must have done a bit of that while engineering those
torsion bars???

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Engineering???? Yeah, what my friend Billy from North Carolina calls Appalachian engineering, I guess here in Florida you could call it swamp engineering. Give it your best try, if it doesn't work like you wanted, have another beer and try some different.
I want to weigh this thing properly, with four scales, but I have one bathroom scale. I guess if I buy another one I could get by doing one end of the car at a time. I'll let you know when that happens.
BTW, I tried to weigh the car one corner at time. I couldn't get the same result twice but it's somewhere between 200 and 220, I believe.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Bruce has the most common clocking on the TAV, it fits good that way and less things to trim down.

The Monocar is the same way and a proven runner.

S'all for now!

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Just a figure of speech Bruce, a little tongue in cheek humor, but of course, not every body gets that.

That sounds like my engineering background Rick, still working on my degree from the School of Hard Knocks,
where I studied backyard engineering.

200 lbs.....Really???? Wow, that is, super light weight. Never would have thought that by the looks
of the kart. She comes off in the pictures as being really stout with all the aero foils and such.
We've discussed the "How to weigh a four wheel vehicle." a number of times on the forum.
If you don't have the luxury of four bathroom scales of the same make and dimension, one
with three blocks the same height as the scale gets you close.
Like I said, Don aka Smoky, had the ideal setup with that E-Z Weight system, but that's about a
thousand dollar tool, making it a toy for the professional or a very wealthy CK enthusiast.
Please do post you weights if you get it figured out, I for one would really like to add it to my data file.

Now.....hand mother the GoPro and get that Miller out on the bricks and so we can see some real
action shots of you broad sliding it thru the turns.
Denny G

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
In the early 70's I worked for a scale company and I can tell you just take it to the nearest state farmers market and they'll give you a certified weight for nothing. Even print it out for you. Or you can use some ratchet straps and use a hanging scale. All you have to do is get it to clear the floor. Good luck. 200? Nice!

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Total weight is simple enough Michael, what we're specifically addressing is
the weight and balance of the kart, i.e., just how much weight is on each wheel
when it's sitting level empty and with a driver. This has a major bearing on the
way the car will handle.
And.....most bathroom scales max out at 300 lb and many of the Cyclekarts
total weight will weigh in at or under that. So all one has to do is set it up on
a plastic milk crate to get the total weight.
dg

Woodysrods Avatar
So, I guess I should have looked back to the pictures I took at Tieton the first year I went .....2016 eye rolling smiley
As I was in the information gathering stage of my CK and took more Technical pictures.
Found the one I was looking for, of what now is my Alfa!
And more..........Vic's included.
Woody

Attachments:
Tieton Grand Prix 2016 028.jpg    46.2 KB
Tieton Grand Prix 2016 028.jpg

Tieton Grand Prix 2016 029.jpg    48.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Tieton Grand Prix 2016 052.jpg    55.2 KB
Tieton Grand Prix 2016 008.jpg    46 KB
1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
In reply to # 37084 by Denny Graham

200 lbs.....Really???? Wow, that is, super light weight. Never would have thought that by the looks
of the kart. She comes off in the pictures as being really stout with all the aero foils and such.
We've discussed the "How to weigh a four wheel vehicle." a number of times on the forum.
If you don't have the luxury of four bathroom scales of the same make and dimension, one
with three blocks the same height as the scale gets you close.

Denny G

200 was my goal, but I think it's a little bit heavier. I tried to design every piece with light weight in mind. Things like the steering shaft. Where most guys use a solid, heavy 5/8" solid steel shaft, I used a 1/2" tube, with solid ends pressed in and welded. It weighs a fraction of what the solid 5/8" shaft weighs, but works just as well. Another example I mentioned when we were discussing the motor height. I totally eliminated the need for a big heavy motor plate. The airfoil sections on the suspension are made from very thin aluminum, and weigh mere ounces each. The rear axle hubs are aluminum. There is no separate seat bolted to the chassis. The seat is an integral part of the body. The body support skeleton is made from thin wall tubing. The tires are filled with helium. .... OK, I made that one up. You get the idea. If you design it light, you don't have to drill it full of holes later.
I used the one scale - 3 blocks method to weigh it. I couldn't get the same result twice in a row, so I gave up.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
I cannot for the life of me find the right picture of my setup, and the car is behind a bunch of stuff right now and hard to get to.
Anyway, 4 bathroom scales, leveled out ;

Total empty weight of 254 lbs, which was in agreement with the scales at Tieton.

Weight distribution was determined to be;
30 F/70 R empty.
32 F/68 R with my 200# aboard.

Coincidentally the exact F/R distribution of the Arial Atom.

I enjoy it with this balance. Virtually no understeer, and very controllable oversteer, dirt or pavement.
Frankly, after some of what I read I expected it to be kind of a handfull, but I didn't want to mess up the looks
by having the cockpit that far forward. Like a lot of things you see posted online though, these concerns turned out to be unwarranted.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1934 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links