Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Show Us your TAV Clocking

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
In some ways correct in your reasoning Denny. This was done in this way, timber chassis, plywood box, with very thin alloy sheet as a "nod" to the origins of the GN, but also as a way of showing people that the steel chassis most are using is not the only way, and a solution for those who don't, or can't weld. (Did you know MIG and TIG is VERY dangerous for folks with pacemakers?).
It was also because the facilities I had to hand precluded other thoughts. The space frame on the Voisin was super light and incredibly stiff. The "traditional" chassis falls down on almost every evaluation except easy and cheap to build. Why else would Henry Ford have chosen it?
Any how, way off topic.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I think Brian has made up his mind by now as to how he wants to position his TAV. But you're right, this has
gotten way of topic, but that's been a problem of mine, ever since I bellied up to the bar.
Good thing I don't have a pace maker.....the Graham family would have starved to death.
DG

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
Not the greatest to show position I suppose, but here's mine on the Legion. Probably at about the 4 o'clock position. I want to get the engine as low as possible and in front of the axle while maintaining a 65" wheelbase; checked all three.

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Screenshot_2019-01-04 Doin it Wrong on Instagram “Gas tank mounted Body frame work is just about finished Next is forming t[...].jpg    78.2 KB
Screenshot_2019-01-04 Doin it Wrong on Instagram “Gas tank mounted Body frame work is just about finished Next is forming t[...].jpg

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 37207 by Denny Graham I think Brian has made up his mind by now as to how he wants to position his TAV. But you're right, this has
gotten way of topic, but that's been a problem of mine, ever since I bellied up to the bar.
Good thing I don't have a pace maker.....the Graham family would have starved to death.
DG
You are right Denny..........it is past noon here, and I have not welded anything yet today!eye rolling smiley
My hands are starting to shake and I am going thru withdrawals!
But hope to solve that problem after lunch.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Brian

carmelmike Avatar
carmelmike Michael Stevenson
Carmel, CA, USA   USA
1925 CycleKart French "Delage"
1933 CycleKart Italian "Whitney Straight Maserati"
1934 CycleKart American "Brannon Special"
1934 CycleKart French "Bugatti Type 59"    & more
Very interesting locations and arrangements! And a cool idea for a thread; thanks!

I don't have any shots handy of ours, but the first one I set up for the original Delage was just slightly forward of upright (11:00?) I ran the chain on either side of the engine shaft, actually (had to grind some of the TAV frame. In those earlier Comets, the frame was stamped steel. THe stamped steel bent pretty easily, so I ended up welding reinforcing webs on them. I think we have one of the later cast ones in the still-unfinished Whitney Straight Maserati...)

All the cars after my Delage (Peter Stevenson's MG Magnette, Type 59 Bug, and Brannon Special/Schuco Racer, D. Mysona's Alfa P3, and B. Bates ERA) had the TAV shifted a bit further forward (10-ish?)

I am impressed by the creative arrangements of everyone's cars.

Mike

Woodysrods Avatar
Thanks Justin
Wow that is low!
I have fiddled with my Ice Racer project a little more late this afternoon....and am now
looking hard at 7:00 o'clock.
I will download the pictures I took before coming in, and post them in a few minutes.
Brian

Woodysrods Avatar
So here is the latest trial position.
Wheelbase will be 72" with this! and axle will pass under the engine mount.
Brian

Attachments:
P1040010.JPG    39.6 KB
P1040010.JPG

P1040016.JPG    45.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Hey Justin, Lets Limbo....I'll bet you got Chubby Checker playing in the background
while your working on that machine........ "How Lo Can You Go"
And, I thought you said something about the new kart having a 65" WB? With that
motor and TAV where you put it, you must be five feet two and with your toes
hanging over the front axle????
You just gotta take some weight distribution numbers for that kart when you finish it.
I'd love to see how it balances out.
dg

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Low was the goal!
Yeah, 65" maybe 65 1/4" I can't remember now lol
I'm 5"9' and fit pretty well. My front wheels stick out past where the body work will be, so it's a pretty short kart all together. I think I have pics of how it all looks on my build thread.
I'll definitely get some weight figure when it's all done and post them up

In reply to # 37234 by Denny Graham Hey Justin, Lets Limbo....I'll bet you got Chubby Checker playing in the background
while your working on that machine........ "How Lo Can You Go"
And, I thought you said something about the new kart having a 65" WB? With that
motor and TAV where you put it, you must be five feet two and with your toes
hanging over the front axle????
You just gotta take some weight distribution numbers for that kart when you finish it.
I'd love to see how it balances out.
dg

"Magic Man"

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Before you put on Harry Bellefonte and break out the pole against Justin, keep in mind
there was a recent episode in which the Gypsy refused to wander, having got high centered on the crown of a simple farm road. I remain convinced that only sheer inertia carried it around the Campbell orchard 2yrs ago!
But the Legion rides a bit higher, doesn't it Justin?

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Yes, the gipsy may or may not have gotten high centered at a rather inconvenient time. The lowest part of the tub on that car is 1.5 inches, which I wouldn't recommend! Legions ride height is 2.5 inches. This is the lowest I'll go on any cyclekart I build!
In reply to # 37243 by CmdBentaxle Before you put on Harry Bellefonte and break out the pole against Justin, keep in mind
there was a recent episode in which the Gypsy refused to wander, having got high centered on the crown of a simple farm road. I remain convinced that only sheer inertia carried it around the Campbell orchard 2yrs ago!
But the Legion rides a bit higher, doesn't it Justin?

"Magic Man"

Woodysrods Avatar
Yes, Don and I went over and lifted the front end up so we could see her belly after the first run in the Orchard.
We convinced that we were going to see some rips, gouges, or deep dents in the floor pan......but "Nothing"
She sure was low and fast though.
Brian

Woodysrods Avatar
Just one more thought before I do this????confused smiley
Here is 7:00 o'clock with the motor dropped down 2" with the Axle
over the mount! Still needs 72" wheelbase to do this with my seat placement.
Brian

Attachments:
P1050004.JPG    41.5 KB
P1050004.JPG

P1050005.JPG    50.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You're not leaving any decisions up to the new owner. Maybe a future owner will want the engine in the back.

S'all for now!

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37268 by carChips You're not leaving any decisions up to the new owner. Maybe a future owner will want the engine in the back.
Hi Vic
This is for my "Personal" Ice Racer....there will be no "Future Owner"!confused smiley
Brian

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links