AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I’m looking at these torque wrenches cuz;
#1. I don’t have one.
#2. Thought it would be a good addition to the tool box if I’m gonna beat ell out of
some motorcycle wheels in the not to distant future.
#3. Sweetie face has been foraging for Christmas gift ideas lately.
So…..another trip out to the barn and I mic a few of the squares on the Honda wheels
I’ve got on the shelf, my inventory consists of Honda 80, 90, and 160 bike wheels and
this is what I found the nut size to be: Either 4.92mm or 5.64mm.

My first choice having seen it used in a lot of the youtube videos, would be the Tusk.
However, when I look at the heads that come with it, they only seem to be for a much
larger spoke nipples, big hogs or super bikes maybe? And, I haven’t seen a source for
additional heads for other smaller sizes.
Listing:
Tusk Spoke Torque Wrench Kit Motorcycle Dual Sport Enduro MX Dirt Bike
Kit: heads 6.1mm, 6.3mm, 6.6mm, 6.8mm, 6.9mm

Now the second candidate would be the Pit-Posse. The two smallest wrench
heads in the kit must be for the size nipples used on my Honda rims, allowing
for .16mm to 18mm clearance, (that would be .006” to .007” for us yanks) and
that seems reasonable.
Listing:
Pit Posse Motorcycle Spoke Torque Wrench Tool Kit Dirt bike Street bike MX:
Kit includes 5.1, 5.8, 6.0, 6.1, 6.3, 6.4, 6.5, 6.7, 6.8, 6.9, spline heads

I guess my question is….has anyone had any experience with the (more popular)
Tusk torque wrench and have you been able to find wrench heads for it to fit the
smaller nipples???
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Been a long time since I messed with spoked wheels but IF I remember correctly I made one out of a piece of 1/4 inch steel. I hand filed the groove for the spoke nipple, made the steel piece really small and welded a 1/4 inch drive socket to it. All you do then is get a little cheap inch pound drive torque wrench. I'll look in the old tool box when I can get to it. I may still have it. I had a couple store bought ones, but they always had some problem and I got tired of it. They may be better made now so YMMV.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Ya think!!!! The ones that I posted sure look like decent tools. There are
dozens and dozens of videos online of people using them and they
make the process look as smooth as silk with one made for the job.
A couple of instances from Rocky Mountain:

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
BaronVonKurtz Avatar
BaronVonKurtz Gold Member BaronVonKurtz Belshe
Huntsville, AL, USA   USA
I bought a worthless one (no name - top of photo) and broke the head on it while working on my first wheel. Then I talked to a guy at the local motorcycle shop (who was a chip of a guy and a wealth of free information) and he was using a Pit Posse set. He had used others over the years but this was what he currently was using.

(right-click and open image in new tab)

So I went out on the Internet, found one, and ordered it. It would have worked like a champ except the head size I needed was a little more than 5.1 mm for the spoke nipples I was using. Oh, and the diameter of the spoke nipples varies slightly so that is another problem.
It came with a bunch of wrench heads but I could only use the 5.1 mm head. The others were too big. So I ordered a few extra of the 5.1 mm (they should have been made of solid gold at the price I paid), and filed them out as I needed. Some tight ones and some looser ones.

Hand laced, torqued, and balanced five wheels successfully.

Mine looks like an older version of the one that they are selling on their website. Paid about the same as I recall (ouch).

Here is the Link: Pit Posse

Baron

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-12-01 06:18 PM by BaronVonKurtz.

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
Hey! Geez I said it had been a long time. I gave up spoke wheels about the time everyone was giving up points ignition. Give me a break. lol

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Now Michael, what's wrong with ignition points???? I'll bet you're one of those millennial's.
Been setting points from way back in the mid-50's, and still doin' it at tune up time.
Truck runs great and is my most reliable transportation. And the kicker.....when something
is askew, I can fix it, no need to shell out $500 to the dealership.
dg

Attachments:
Those Black Things aka Rustoleum 03.JPG    54.7 KB
Those Black Things aka Rustoleum 03.JPG

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
In reply I still have my 1960 model Craftsman dwell meter and timing light. Both still work wonderfully. My very first car was a 1960 ford farlane four door with a straight six and automatic. My Dad came home from work as usual, threw a set of keys in my lap and said " You owe me $150, you're paying the insurance, and I don't know how to fix it". Of course he could fix it, that just meant he wouldn't. He's 87 now and still could impress some of the old flathead and hot rod fellows. He was a Master Machinist for 36 years.

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
As was my pop, he served his apprenticeship back when they had boat tail wood body's.
He's 107 now.....but no longer with us.
Ah to have those $150 junkers back again. That's all could ever afford and drove them
till I was 30 and finally got married. Would those be the Sears Penske Automotive tools?
I've still got a few of them laying round the garage somewhere. But I now use a modern
Innova Pro timing light which is all in one handy hand held package.
We'd better quit this here off topic stuff afore Skye shakes a stick at us.
Back to tuning spokes..I posted in another, similar thread, that I settled on the Tusk. Seems
to be the nicer tool. I did have to add three extra heads to fill out the field.
dg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1938 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links