SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Looking good.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rkeyrouse Avatar
rkeyrouse Gold Member Raymond Keyrouse
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Victor
Here's the photo of my brake caliper you asked for. Double piston so should work better than it does. Michael, (see above post) says to try Stainless steel flex hoses and I'll take his advice since I wasn't too happy with the plastic brake lines to start with. Was telling a friend about the problem I'm having bleeding the brakes and he thinks maybe since the master cylinder and caliper are on roughly the same plane that any dips or loops in the lines may be causing a problem. I'm going to lift the front of the kart to get the master cylinder higher and trying bleeding the system again. Going to enter some parades here in Prescott so must be able to stop the thing.

And for all you folks back east and up north, Stay Warm! It's 1:30PM in Prescott and 59 degrees.

Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

Attachments:
0.jpg    37.4 KB
0.jpg

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
You may need a 2 lb. "Residual Valve" in your line.
Available thru any Hot Rod parts distributor ........the Part # I have is # 4856A (may be an in house #
The 10 lb, used on Drum brakes is #4856B
Mostly used on Streetrods that have master cylinder/pedal assembly mounted below the floor.
They are cheap!
Brian

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
Ray,
I have the same caliper you are using and had the same issue. How I resolved it first make sure the pads are adjusted with minimum clearance with no drag, I elevated the rear so any air in the lines could flow toward the bleed valve, It took several sessions of pumping the peddle and open the bleed valve, alternate between side, check and fill the reservoir each time (mine was a very small one). I left the CK overnight than repeated it again the next day. The peddle went down quickly after I drove it a little readjusted the brake pads and added more fluid. Now it’s fine hope it works for you.
By the way I used steel brake line tubing.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 03:21 PM by Notso-Chinsee.

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Woody:
The "Residual Valve" would be a last resort. I know only 2 lbs doesn't create a lot of drag but with only 6.5 HP even a little drag doesn't help. But thanks - I didn't even know they made a "Residual Valve".

Al:
No offense but I'm so happy somebody else has the same caliper and has had the same problem! Usually when I have an automotive problem it's one of a kind. No one on earth EVER had the same problem. LOL I'll definitely follow your procedure and see if I can get some decent brakes. Thanks!!

Below is a photo of a friend and I ready to try out the Kart for the first time this past Sunday. Yes, the ramps are bending and it's been taken care of. By the way. It's a tilt bed trailer for easy loading.

Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

Attachments:
Kart on Trailer.jpeg    57.3 KB
Kart on Trailer.jpeg

Woodysrods Avatar
Looks like you guys are ready for some Fun!
How far are you away from Dennis Thomas?
Brian

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Google maps says 1 hr 37 minutes.

S'all for now!

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Prescott is about 90 miles NW of Phoenix. Never have met Dennis but the map shows him about 10 farther south. I lived in the Phoenix area, (Valley of The Sun) for some 70+ years and decided it was just too darn hot for this old man. Moved to Prescott (we say Preskit) 3 years ago and enjoying the cooler weather. We sit right at 1 mile high up here so much cooler then Phoenix. So far only Cycle Kart people I've met are the guys at Vintage Kart in Mesa, Az. Looking forward to meet more folks maybe at a meet somewhere. AFTER I get a Model A body on the Kart.
Ray

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-29 09:45 PM by rkeyrouse.

Woodysrods Avatar
They have a very active Arizona Chapter, and 90 miles is only a stone throw!thumbs up
Thanks for posting your build.
Brian

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Woody:
Going to try and get down to Phoenix one of these days to meet some of the area Karters. And you're right, 90 miles is only a stones throw however 2/3 of that is on Interstate 17. On the week-ends 17 can turn into Arizona's largest parking lot and once you're on it there's no escape. I avoid it like the Plague. I'm hoping there's an event in Cottonwood this year since that little town is just over the hill from me.
More posts will be coming soon. Going to take the Kart out a couple more times for a shake down cruise and if all going well I'll start on the body soon.

Take Care
Ray
By the way, in the above photo I'm the guy with the hat.

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Ray,
The race in Clarkdale is scheduled or March 9th.

Carlos Carniero is organizing the event this year, as I wont be there (pinewood derby day).

You are always welcome at our events.

Cheers
Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks Steve
Cottonwood - Clarkdale -- I knew there was an event somewhere on the other side of Mingus Mt from me. Not sure I'll have a body on the Kart by March 9th but I'll work on it. A couple of other projects I need to work on also. However, body or no body I'll be there. (as long as my brake issue is corrected. smiling smiley)

Ray

Attachments:
0.jpeg    48.4 KB
0.jpeg

1908Rick Avatar
1908Rick Rick Eggers
Cape Coral, FL, USA   USA
You may be interested in these cars I saw this morning.
I took my Ford Quadricycle replica to the antique Ford show at the Edison-Ford Estates in Fort Myers and these two '29 Model A Ford Speedsters were next to me. They vintage race them.

Attachments:
Model A Riley.jpg    63.7 KB
Model A Riley.jpg

Model A Riley 001.jpg    75.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Rick
Thanks for sharing. Those two look like they'd be fun to race. Back in 2012 I was the Official / Unofficial Photographer for the West Coast Vintage Racers - Southwest Division. A high school buddy of mine was the President and raced the number 84a Ford powered sprinter. Same car I pitted for back in 1971 at Manzanita Speedway. If you're interested you can see a couple of hundred photos of Vintage cars taken in 2012 and also a few from 1971 and 2 taken at Manzanita at my website, Rays-action-photo.smugmug.com/

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-03 10:22 AM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.26.26 AM.jpg    32.9 KB
Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.26.26 AM.jpg

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Proof of Concept runs over for now. Started on the body yesterday. Hoping to at least have the front finished by the 9th of March for the event in Clarkdale. The only thing I'm worse at than welding is woodworking so the base frame for the body is a little rough. Once covered with sheet aluminum it should look fine. The poster board looks good as long as the masking tape holds. It's even the right color.

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-14 07:00 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
0.jpg    53.2 KB
0.jpg

0-2.jpg    42.5 KB
0-1.jpg    37.7 KB

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1970 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links