CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Start of my 1929 Model A Ford Speedster Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rkeyrouse Avatar
rkeyrouse Gold Member Raymond Keyrouse
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
I'll keep all the above in mind. Right now I don't ever have a frame welded up or any axles or wheels. I'm months away from a hop up kit. However - thanks for all the info.
Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:08 PM by rkeyrouse.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
One of you gentlemen could have at least maybe hinted that "Speedster" was spelled wrong in the Subject of my thread.confused smiley
Just saw this tonight and reported it. Hopefully it will get changed soon. My spelling has always been terrible but honest, that was a typo.
I be gone now.
Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:09 PM by rkeyrouse.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
That's an example of reading what you expect to read, I hadn't spotted the misspelling, I read it as speedster, because that's what my brain (such as it is) expected. Probably a lot of the others were the same.

Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Chris
I do it all the time. Think one thing and type something else. And with age it doesn't get better. I love those paragraphs you see on the web where half the letters are missing from every word but you can still read it perfectly. Don't know what was in my head when I typed "Steed" instead of "Speed". I really do know the difference between a horse and how fast it can run. Oh well. Better get back on topic here.
Still waiting for parts before I can start welding on the frame for my SPEEDSTER. No new photos as yet.
Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:09 PM by rkeyrouse.

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Fantastic that we have another builder here in Arizona, keep us all posted on your progress.

Cheers,
Steve

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Steve
Not too sure I should be considered a "New Builder"? Maybe best at this time to keep it a "new Assembler". So far I have a workbench full of parts, some steel and a new (to me) 50 year old Sears Roebuck bandsaw. (Photo below) It's in great shape just needs tons of clear up. Figured a $43 fifty year old saw is better then a brand new Home Deport special.
Now with all the pleasantries out of the way --- I have a question. You folks will get real tired of hearing that phase. I got my rear axle bearing this afternoon. Running a Peerless diff so got 4 bearing, 4 mounts and 8 flangettes. (that almost sounds like a bad word) Anyway, each bearing has a little 'tit' on the outer race and the flangettes don't have a matching notch or grove for the tit to fit into. Flangette on that side wouldn't fit. The tit is just a little ball I could snap off with a pair of pliers but not sure I should. Help! Photo below.
Ray

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:10 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
0-1.jpg    42.5 KB
0-1.jpg

0.jpg    7.7 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
What does the bearing holder look like?

S'all for now!

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Bearing holder looks like they all do. Use two for each bearing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:10 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 8.59.57 PM.jpg    19.4 KB
Screen Shot 2018-09-04 at 8.59.57 PM.jpg

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
https://azusaparts.com/product/axle-bearing-standard-for-1-axles-with-integral-locking-collar/
These are the ones I have used. I'm not sure what you have there.
The set I buy comes complete with the flangettes and mounting weldment.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
That's the same bearing I have. Same two set screws and all. Ordered everything as a set from OMB. ???? Just all four outer races have a little tit. Looks like a very small ball bearing. ??? I think I'll quit thinking about it and pop the darn thing off. Doesn't really look like they belong there anyway.

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:11 PM by rkeyrouse.

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Just went out and pulled one of the little pins out of the bearing. It didn't fall apart so guess I'll pull the other three out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:11 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
0.jpg    10.3 KB
0.jpg

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
By the way, there's three holes in each bearing. Part number UC205-1K Maybe someone can tell me just what the heck OMB sold me.
Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:12 PM by rkeyrouse.

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
I'd call them, I get lots of parts from them and they are pretty good to deal with.

S'all for now!

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
The third hole is centered on the max diameter correct. The knob is intended to maintain static alignment during installation. There are several types of flanges available, in our application we use the symmetrical version and the knob should be placed in the bearing cage center line hole. Flanges are available which allows the bearing to be mounted off to one side which is not ideal for our application.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
I have always knocked the tit off with no issues whatever.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links