Start of my 1929 Model A Ford Speedster Build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
Agreed they are not required in our application.We are not subject to assembly line production and in most cases today's robots and other methods might not either.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
rkeyrouse Avatar
rkeyrouse Gold Member Raymond Keyrouse
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Al
Actually none of the three holes are center line of the max diameter. They are all near the edge as seen in the enclosed photo. So -- Maybe they are there for assembly but they won't be there for my assembly. Taking the advice of Rhys and pulling al four pins out. Nuff Said.
Just got home from Vintage Kart in Mesa with all sorts of googles. Didn't leave a whole house payment there just a good portion of it. Might start driving hole and welding the frame this weekend.
Thanks for everyone's help. With all of you out there I just might get this little sucker built.
Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-06 08:12 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
0-1.jpg    25.5 KB
0-1.jpg

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
OK - On my way. Frame is tacked and rear axle hanging by 2 bearings. But it's a beginning.

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
0.jpg    43.4 KB
0.jpg

0-2.jpg    45.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
0-1.jpg    40.7 KB
carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Ray, you should put little crush sleeves over the bolts for your bearings. Short pieces of steel electrical conduit should do it, cut short enough to fit inside your frame rails for the bearing bolts to go through. This will keep the frame from crushing from tightening the bolts.

S'all for now!

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Step ahead of you Victor - But thanks anyway.
Ray

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Slowly but Surely
Axle installed - Motor mounted. Still need some welding, another brace for the motor mount and brake caliper mount. Maybe more bracing where the frame is cut. And of course everything comes off later to paint frame. Lots of work still to come in the next couple of months.

Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-18 08:51 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
Motormounted1.JPG    55.5 KB
Motormounted1.JPG

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
Raymond, you could well be a step ahead here too, but can I suggest a bolt to push the motor away from the axle for chain adjustment. It works a whole lot better than just motor mount bolts.

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Rhys
Thanks for the tip. I'd seen photos of chain tensioner set ups like you mentioned but hadn't thought about adding one to my motor plate. Will do that today since I'll be in the garage doing a little more work on the frame. So many more things to make. I bought steel yesterday for a front axle and will be working on that in the next few days.
Thanks Again
Ray

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
A little farther along. Inner axle support bearing mounts welded in place. Before taking axle out to finish welding the runout was about 4/1000 if my old dial indicator is right. I'm assuming that's close enough for a Peerless axle. Rhys - Chain tensioner bolt installed. (Yes, I know it's a little long. LOL Only one I could find in my box of hardware with threads running the full length. I'll cut it shorter in time.) And please forgive the welds. I'm still learning. (slowly) They mostly look bad but the penetration is great. Constructive criticism welcome.
Ray

Attachments:
Motor Adjuster.JPG    33.5 KB
Motor Adjuster.JPG

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Last project of the day. Had to grind off a flat on one of the bolts to clear some plumbing but everything fits. AND even with everything squeezed in there it still comes out. I was a bit worried it wouldn't! Will have new hardware before it hits the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-20 04:57 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
Brake Caliper.JPG    38 KB
Brake Caliper.JPG

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Peerless Axle Question. 1st a little history. I've mounted the axle in 4 bears as called for. Two in the frame and two on mounts close to the differential. I aligned the axle to about 5 thousands before welding center mounts. I than removed the axle to paint the frame. Today I reinstalled the Peerless and as I tightened the flangettes the axle seemed to tighten up. Didn't spin quite as freely. Loosed the flangettes and the axle freed up. This happened once before and I took a rubber mallet to the flangettes, bearings and even 'tapped' on the axles and it seemed to free up. So, back to the question. Is there a 'right' way to tighten the flangettes to keep the bearing aligned? The axle never seemed too tight, just a little tighter than before tightening flangette nut and bolts.
Thanks for the help.
Ray

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
More Pics - Rear of the Kart nearly done.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-09-27 04:35 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
0-1.jpg    50.1 KB
0-1.jpg

0.jpg    36.9 KB
Kelly Wood Avatar
Salt Lake City, UT, USA   USA
1910 CycleKart Great Britain "Sargette"
I got nothing to say, just watching.

Nice work.

Well, other than that... yep.

Build on. smiling smiley

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
This was on another thread just concerning the problem I was having with my Peerless axle. I found the cure. Didn't grease the flangettes but I did loosen each bearing and lightly tapped on the inner race and the flangettes, (Heavy on the "lightly"winking smiley winking smiley while tightening the mounting hardware. Doing that to each of 4 bearing seemed to aline them and now the axle is much easier to spin. Next time I will add a little MolyB.
Thanks to all for all the input.
Ray

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Front Axle and Transverse Spring. Shackles are a little large since they're store bought. Once the wishbone and transverse sway bar, (no idea what it's called - LOL) are installed I don't think the shackles will stand out too much. Need to tack spindle mounts then off to a friend to be heliarced.

Attachments:
Front Axle.jpg    47.8 KB
Front Axle.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2010 CycleKart Custom

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links