AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
It's called a track rod. That's if it goes between the two wheels.

S'all for now!

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Yes, you need a "Panhard Bar" or "Panhard Rod" on a shackle mounted transverse spring front axle.
Mounts to your frame at one end and your axle at the other.
The longer the better!
Brian

rkeyrouse Avatar
rkeyrouse Gold Member Raymond Keyrouse
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
I'm Back --- Finished helping a friend paint interior of his rental. Back working on the CK. Front axle on hold. Decided to hang the leaf spring a little different by using shackle mounts. They should arrive next week. Meanwhile started on seat and floor pan. Roughed it out seat today and it work fine. Only held together with masking tape for the time being. I know it looks a little different then most CK seat so I've enclosed a photo of my inspiration car.
Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Seat1.JPG    42 KB
Seat1.JPG

Seat2.JPG    37.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
A Speedster 1.jpg    49.6 KB
MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
That's gonna look nice.

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
is there any difference mounting that transverse spring shackles facing up and out vs down and in? ive seen it that way on several cyclekarts, but not on real cars. Not criticizing, just trying to learn!

Good looking build so far!

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Justin
Here's a close up of the front axle of my inspiration car, a 1929 Ford Model A. If you look closely you can see the shackles and the ends of the leaf spring. (Easier to see on the left) The shackles are facing down and in from the shackle mount at about a 45 degree angle. No track bar and it works.
Ray

At times it is better not to know one thing that is false than to know 100 things that are true.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-10-26 10:54 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 8.39.42 PM.jpg    20.7 KB
Screen Shot 2018-10-26 at 8.39.42 PM.jpg

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Mounting front axle, spring and kingpin mounts. Sooooo many measurements, angles and fudges. eye rolling smiley (Any thoughts that home made axle is symmetrical are simply, wrong). LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-06 09:14 PM by rkeyrouse.

Attachments:
Axle.JPG    41.9 KB
Axle.JPG

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
It works!! Needs a little Tweaking but it was actually supporting the kart at one point.

Attachments:
Axle4.jpg    52.2 KB
Axle4.jpg

Axle3.jpg    42.5 KB
rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
A little closer each day. Monday it's the left side. smiling smiley

Attachments:
Tie Rod 1.JPG    54 KB
Tie Rod 1.JPG

Tie Rod 2.JPG    59.1 KB
rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Steering finished. Still needs adjustment, tweaking and paint but all the parks are made.

Attachments:
Steering Finiahed.JPG    60.3 KB
Steering Finiahed.JPG

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
It's a Roller!

Attachments:
$ Wheels.JPG    47.3 KB
$ Wheels.JPG

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Kart's ready for a test run. Started it today and all seems fine. Sunday I'll take her out and see how she runs. Next big step, complete the model "A" body.

Ray

Attachments:
Ready 4 Test Run.jpg    55.3 KB
Ready 4 Test Run.jpg

rkeyrouse Avatar
PRESCOTT, AZ, USA   USA
Took the Kart out Sunday for a test run. Runs great and steers smoothly. Stopping is a different story. Bled brake and tightened cable today and ran her again. Still no joy. Running duel piston caliper and it should have worked better. Going to trash the cable connection between master cylinder and peddle and go to steel rod with heim joints. Should improve braking effort. Besides brake problem she runs like a deer. Fast as hell! winking smiley

Ray

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
Ray, I'd like to see a picture of your brake caliper. Is the bleed screw at the top or bottom?

S'all for now!

MichaelR Avatar
MichaelR Michael Richard
Albany, GA., USA   USA
I've noticed a lot of the hydraulic brake kits have poor hoses. On the motorcycles we raced we always replaced the hydraulic hoses with Stainless steel flex hoses. When the cheap hoses go under pressure they expand and take up a lot of the fluid you forced into them to actuate the brake. The cable idea wouldn't seem to me to be the problem if it is a stout cable with little to no slack or stretch. I go the new hose route if available.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links