Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Starting a new cyclekart build

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

fatfendertruck Tony Sanchez
Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
Started building another frame for a new cycle kart build. Haven't completely decided on the body but am building the frame to have a base to build a buck for the body. Been thinking about a Duce truck body with through the roof entrance.
Tony

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
IMG_1533.jpg    43.2 KB
IMG_1533.jpg

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
RROLDSX Silver Member Randy R
Delta, BC, Canada   CAN
Is that aluminum?

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
Yes, 3" x 1" x .125. I am curious to see the weight differance between my steel frame and this one. Also to see what problems I run into attaching steel components to the aluminum.
Tony

SteveV Avatar
SteveV Steve Vinson
Phoenix, AZ, USA   USA
1924 Ford Model T "Viscount Vinson Special"
1927 CycleKart American "Mono Wasp"
Looks great Tony.

Steve Vinson
Arizona CycleKart Club

Design-Build-Race-Repeat

Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
I plan to shave some weight off by cutting holes in the cross members and frame rails.

Attachments:
IMG_1537.jpg    39.7 KB
IMG_1537.jpg

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Interesting frame Tony, this article might be interesting to you: https://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=89.

Chris

Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
Thanks for your link Chris, on all of the previous karts that I have built I have not had any problems with galvanic corrosion with dissimilar metals. I have attached several aluminum bodies to steel under carriges with no problems.
My major concern is attaching components like the differential carrier bearings to the aluminum frame. Or the wish bones to the frame.
Tony

carChips Avatar
carChips Victor Harnish
Kelowna, BC, Canada   CAN
1933 MG Magnette
1973 Triumph Spitfire 1500 "Chip"
1989 GMC Sierra 1500 "Bush Truck"
You need crush sleeves inside the frame where you're going to bolt it together. Select the bolt that you wish to use and get a piece of pipe that fits over the bolt, drill a hole through the frame the same size as the OD of the pipe.

S'all for now!

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 37799 by fatfendertruck Thanks for your link Chris, on all of the previous karts that I have built I have not had any problems with galvanic corrosion with dissimilar metals. I have attached several aluminum bodies to steel under carriges with no problems.
My major concern is attaching components like the differential carrier bearings to the aluminum frame. Or the wish bones to the frame.
Tony
Hi Tony
Obviously you can TIG weld aluminum, so build as much structural stuff out of aluminum, and aluminum skin it with aluminum rivets.
Dieing to see how light you can make it!smiling bouncing smiley
As I too have an "All Aluminum" unibody CK in the back of my head as a future project.
We will be following your build.
Good Roads
Brian

Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
Victor I plan on using some 3/4 " aluminum crush blocks inside the frame. Or if needed weld some solid bar through the frame and drill the necessary attachment hole.
Brian I am using as much aluminum as possible. The main goal is to shave weight.

Tony

Woodysrods Avatar
Great!thumbs up

Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
Started making some of the crossmembers. I need to get the axle and the Comet drive before I can weld the crossmembers in place.
Tony

Attachments:
IMG_1541.jpg    40.2 KB
IMG_1541.jpg

Show Low, AZ, USA   USA
Started making some of the body parts for the cyclekart body.

Attachments:
IMG_1542.jpg    25.1 KB
IMG_1542.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg    40.5 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
IMG_1546.jpg    32.9 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links