CycleKart Tech Forum

That Early Austin 7

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
Hello, James!
Austin-7 automobiles, from standard versions to special and race-car were always one of my favourites!
As I wrote some time ago, it is always easier to replicate in smaller scale some cute, small (short but "fat"winking smiley two-seat car, than long, narrow, elegant single-seater racer!

Besides Austin-7, there is its concurrent M.G. M-type and similar British small cute sports cars in the class of 700-850 cc - quite easy to transform them to single-seat CycleKart.

Rhys gave good advice to take a look what other people did in "Austin-7 Specials Competition", including his own wooden body replica (not quite finished)!

Just to take care: there are two-seater specials, mostly used for all kinds British of auto-racing sport, build and used mostly by amateurs - and, pure racing single seaters!
The first had more-or-less tuned engines and modified suspension, having almost standard chassis but handbuilt one-off bodies.
The second variant is the highly modified and sophisticated racing machine, built by professionals (mostly) - designed from wheels up, with double oHC engines with compressors (often). They are narrow and looks longer (maybe they are)...

Happy designing and constructing, later driving!

Ciao,
Zoran

===============================
In reply to # 37712 by CaptJimmO Hi Rhys and thank you. I was thinking of the profile cut too, but was over thinking the strength. I have found a drawing on the net of the front axel so I will dig that out and get the size I should make it. But if I go on the usual build details here, 1 ¼" seems like the target size for the height and ⅞" wide. I will tack weld first and then bore all the holes for the bushings and then finish weld the whole unit.
I will get the front spindles profile cut and then machine down to size etc.

At this stage I am still trying to find a suitable second hand mill/drill but one will come up.

That is a very nice looking A7 you have there. That has just got to be a lot of fun to drive.

James J

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
Austin-7, racing car.1.jpg    51.2 KB
Austin-7, racing car.1.jpg

Austin-7, racing car.2.jpeg    47.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Austin-7, racing car.3.jpg    68.4 KB
Austin-7, racing car.4.jpg    60.4 KB
Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
With thanks to http://austinharris.co.uk/article/100-mph-again-from-750cc-autocar-14/8/1931

The actual article, if you follow the link has very useful pics.

100 m.p.h. again from 750c.c. (Autocar 14/8/1931)
The supercharged single-seater Austin, driven by L. Cushman, breaks four class records - the flying mile and kilometre at more than 100 m.p.h.

100Mphbanking
The supercharged Austin entering the railway straight on its record run

Record work as a whole has been somewhat quiet this year, but behind the scenes there has been much development going on in the 750 c.c. class in particular, where there is an intense friendly rivalry between the Montlhéry type M.G. Midget and the supercharged Austin. There is the greatest possible interest in the way in which the speeds for this class have been pushed up progressively, the first important increase being when the 500 Miles Race Austin went out after that race last year and took the long records up to twelve hours, that effort being followed almost immediately by the single-seater taking the short records, putting the dying kilometre up to 89 m.p.h. and the flying mile to 87.7. Then Malcolm Campbell took the Austin to Daytona Beach and improved further on the mile and the kilometre.

For a time there was a lull, until next Came the exciting news that the Midget, driven by Eyston, had swept the board, taking the flying kilometre at as much at 97.09 and the mile at 96.93 m.p.h., that being followed by a run at Montlhéry with a supercharged model when 103.16 m.p.h. was recorded for five kilometres, the Midget being the first car in the world to hold records at more than 100 m.p.h. So much for a brief resumé of the story.

Now the special single-seater supercharged Austin, driven by Cushman, has entered on another phase in the evolution of this size of car by breaking the short records over the kilometre and mile, both flying and standing, the flying at more than the "100" mark for the first time.

Lcushman
Leon Cushman, who drove the single-seater racing Austin

As to the car itself, it is naturally the result of last years racing experience, it being decided that for this year the car could be made lower, offering less resistance with great advantage. The driving seat was lowered, which in itself introduced the usual difficulty with a single-seater body, so that the drastic move was adopted of setting the engine, gearbox and propeller-shaft at an angle across the chassis, thus placing the propeller-shaft on the near side of the driver, and necessitating that the bevel gears and casing be mounted on the extreme near side of the car. Then there is streamlining placed on the tail directly behind the driver's head, as well as two separate streamlined casings, one for the front axle and one for the rear of the frame, including the springs and shock absorbers, and a fairing on either side that extends from one wheel to the other, the whole combining to give the proper streamline effect. This car has a four-speed gear box, by the way, and it ran at the Bank Holiday meeting at Brooklànds, coming in second in two races.

100Mphenginelayout
The front portion of the chassis, showing the transverse spring mounted beneath the axle, and the vertical supercharger

100Mphrearaxle
The transmission is offset to allow the driver to obtain a low seating position

100Mphcardwg
The lines of the Austin are distinctive, the faring between and behind the wheels being especially noticeable

Last Saturday, when the records were taken, was by no means a good day, pouring rain preventing an early attempt as had been hoped for, and even later in the morning there was almost a gale from the south-west, and the track was never really properly dry, consideration of which facts makes what has been done all the better. In its first runs, the standing mile and standing kilometre were taken the former at 74.12 and the latter at 65.01 m.p.h., and then their flying equivalents, the mile at 97.99 and the kilometre at 99.64 m.p.h.

Not content with that, Waite, who was directing operations, had the carburetter cleaned out, the plugs changed and the front wheel discs removed, and after a delay Ior further rain the car went out once more. And, remarkable as it sounds, it was successful yet again in improving on its own figures for the flying records, the mile going to 100.67 and the kilometre to the extraordinary figure of 102.28 m.p.h. --both, of course, the means of runs in either direction. The previous Midget fares for these distances, as already mentioned, were 96.93 and 97.09 respectively.

By no means the least meritorious part of this excellent performance was the typically calm way in which the whole thing was carried through, there being no flap or bother of any kind. The car came down to the track ready to go out, did its runs, broke the records, came in for verification and minor adjustments, went out again and did even better. Certainly the two least excited people of everyone down there were Cushman and Waite.

CaptJimmO Avatar
CaptJimmO Gold Member James J O'Donnell
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
1972 BMC Racecar "BUGSPRY"
2001 CycleKart Lightweight "Dag"
2006 Other Custom "BandAid Car"
Thank you Zoran, I have always liked these small cars and can even remember them on the road in Australia when just a boy.
I am going to enjoy this build as I have been planning it now for some 6 months and I can now actually get to building.
Another day today at the workshop getting the last of the internal wall linings up and then completing the ceiling sheeting, then some white paint.

We have LED strip lighting too.

Thanks to all who visit.

James J

"just another colourful stitch in the rich tapestry of life"

CK Skunk Werks, Mission BC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CaptJimmO Avatar
Hello to all,

Well after a fair bit if mucking about, my crates were collected and have now been unpacked here in Mission.
The workshop is complete with todays construction of a folding work bench off the right hand side wall. This can be put away when not required.

Have just completed some more drawing and it is posted here. Will try and do a floor layout tomorrow and post a few pictures before returning to Abby for the weekend.

JimmO

Attachments:
Austin Seven.pdf    60.8 KB

Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
I have posted this other places....but "Isn't this Pretty?"
Brian

Attachments:
52cfc81d715441599bffda17d408def3.jpg    45.5 KB
52cfc81d715441599bffda17d408def3.jpg

259844a667c7173edb431b850d452395--car-stuff-austin.jpg    8.6 KB
CaptJimmO Avatar
That is indeed a very pretty car. I just wish I had the wherewithal to be able to produce the curves involved here. I will continue with my 'A7' build and will develop some skills to attempt this car next . . . . . .

JimmO

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links