CycleKart Tech Forum

The w154 "Vulture" build project

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

andrewroudny Avatar
andrewroudny andrew roudny
peterborough, ON, Canada   CAN
1939 CycleKart German "The Vulture"
Woo hoo! 2019 has arrived. My promise was kept (no more work on the Vulture till 2019) and I got into it today let me tell you. Completely disassembled the rear end.

Let the re-design of my drive system begin!

"I never lose. I either win or learn.”
-Nelson Mandela

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190101_140554.jpg    55.9 KB
20190101_140554.jpg

20190101_170441.jpg    53.4 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
jcny Avatar
jcny Silver Member John Corey
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Sam"
1934 CycleKart Italian "Tazio"
Well, that's ONE way to get some weight out, I guess. HAHA! Happy, Hopy New Year, Dr. Vulture. Let the Upgrades Begin!

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

andrewroudny Avatar
Last night, the lightening process began. I'm a little busy with a goalie mask project so I haven't got to work on the new drive system yet, so I was doing this in the spare time between paint spraying sessions.

When the mask is done, I'll put it up on the off-topic forum (as it's a Senna related theme).

-Nelson Mandela

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-01-12 06:50 AM by andrewroudny.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190112_073944.jpg    47.6 KB
20190112_073944.jpg

jcny Avatar
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
Holy...!

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

andrewroudny Avatar
So a quick update on the state of the Vulture.

Some of the urgency has gone out of the re-build process I must admit, since the steampunk sideshow in New York was cancelled. However, I did get some good bits of work done.

The spot where the swingarms attach to the body was in need of some re-enforcement. It turns out that in my efforts to tighten my old drive belt system, I was actually pulling the whole rear suspension backward and deforming the plywood where these new aluminum supports are now.

Also, the big hunk of double-thick plywood that used to hold the engine is now gone in favour of these two aluminum slabs. That'll probably save 5 pounds.

And in some other big news, my 3/4 drive shaft showed up today! Soon, the work begins on the new shaft driven system. Hopefully I'll be able to spin the rear wheels out from under this thing!

Also, the Senna goalie mask is done!

-Nelson Mandela

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-12 06:49 AM by andrewroudny.

Attachments:
20190211_200152.jpg    53.3 KB
20190211_200152.jpg

20190211_200200.jpg    38.3 KB
20190211_200232.jpg    31.1 KB
20190125_182643.jpg    25 KB
jcny Avatar
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
Love it, especially the helmet (how'd you get all the writing on backwards???). Fear not about our loss of the Blackthorne event - I am working on a replacement. Also, we still expect to have our Spring and Fall meets, too. And hey, weren't you going to have us all up there for a run? jc

andrewroudny Avatar
Ha ha. The backwards writing is, of course, caused by a pretty annoying trait of my phone which I can't seem to figure out how to change. Selfies always come out reflected in the vertical axis. Read: backwards! I guess I should flip it when I save it to my PC, but I only have time for so many things at once.

I wasn't totally sure the spring and fall meets in Albany would be a yearly thing. But now that I know they are, I'll get back to building for all I'm worth!

And yes, I was planning on organizing something here. And I guess the reason why I haven't comes down to the idea that I wanted my CK to be done before I approached anyone to give me some land to run on. I thought it might make for a more successful sales pitch if my Vulture had a skin and looked like the real deal. If I was trying to hit up someone with a fair bit of private property, I thought I'd trailer the Vulture out there, let them take a run and thereby permanently and hopelessly infect them with the CK bug. But I suppose I can start that process with emails and video attachments of good looking CKs running around.

-Nelson Mandela

dBlast Avatar
dBlast Vince De Blasi
Maple, ON, Canada   CAN
In reply to # 38318 by andrewroudny
And yes, I was planning on organizing something here. And I guess the reason why I haven't comes down to the idea that I wanted my CK to be done before I approached anyone to give me some land to run on. I thought it might make for a more successful sales pitch if my Vulture had a skin and looked like the real deal. If I was trying to hit up someone with a fair bit of private property, I thought I'd trailer the Vulture out there, let them take a run and thereby permanently and hopelessly infect them with the CK bug. But I suppose I can start that process with emails and video attachments of good looking CKs running around.

Sounds great! I better get going on my cyclekart then. I have all the materials, parts and initial plans to start my build. Just waiting until it warms up a little to get out to the unheated garage.

I also have some friends and relatives with properties big enough to run cyclekarts on; one in Caledon and one in Belleville.

Vince.

andrewroudny Avatar
Vince,

Toughen up man! Get a sweater and a toque on and get out in that garage! Hahaha

Just an FYI, until you've driven a CK it's hard to tell what an appropriate size track is for running these things. I've finally driven mine, and I think a track or dirt road or path of at least 2km is about what you want. And honestly, the longer the better. I used to think that my father-in-law's place in Kingston would work really well for a ck track but now I get the feeling it would be a little small.

The absolutely ideal place would be a provincial park campground. It's got a mix of dirt and paved roads, lots of loops and turns that would make for a nicely varied course, and facilities like bathrooms, campsites for trailers, etc. Now that I think of it, a private campground might like to have a weekend of business in late September when things begin to slow down. It's an angle that we Ontarians can certainly look into.

I look forward to seeing progress on your kart!

-Andy

-Nelson Mandela

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links