Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

UK Parts Sourcing

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Stefann Stefan N
Bagshot, Surrey, UK   GBR
Cyclekarting in the UK is still emerging and for some, one of the barriers to getting started is sourcing parts. So, the idea is to keep a topic purely to help source components in the UK.

Each post will be about a particular component or sub-system of components. If you've sourced that component in the UK, please REPLY to the specific post with the details. A photo could be helpful. If you're happy to say how much you paid (incl VAT) that might also be helpful.

No vendors advertising please - that's a direct request from the site moderator. I guess we'll have to figure out a way vendors might be able to help with sourcing without spamming this Topic.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Stefann Stefan N
Leaf springs and related suspension components.

As a starter:

www.midlandmotorsprings.com £100 for a pair of springs with bushes (560mm centres, 5mm thick, 30mm wide, 80mm camber)

Stefann Stefan N
Wheels

Funbikes.co.uk: M2R RF125 RF140 RF160 Pit Bike Front 17" Wheel Black Spokes Red Nipples £45 for wheel incl tyre and tube. Hub takes a 35mm bearing. Mounting "lugs" on the hub are 100mm PCD.

https://www.funbikes.co.uk/sc128_wheels-tyres-inner-tubes

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-22 02:56 AM by Stefann.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
pitbike 17 inch wheel.jpg    25.2 KB
pitbike 17 inch wheel.jpg

Stefann Stefan N
Front axle

www.geminikarts.co.uk made my front axle for me (£50.40 incl VAT).

tube diameter 35mm
16 degrees camber
5 degrees castor
800mm between kingpin centres,
140mm drop to bottom of axle tube
kingpin body ID is 19.89mm

There's a couple of photos here: https://www.cyclekartclub.com/journal/Stefann/17674

Stefann Stefan N
Chassis Rails

3"x1" or 75mm x 25mm approx 1.6mm thick (1/16th"winking smiley

https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/16swg-1-6mm-thick-mild-steel-rectangular-box-section

moto-klasika Avatar
moto-klasika Zoran R. Pualic
Bern, Bern, Switzerland   CHE
In reply to # 36248 by Stefann Wheels
Funbikes.co.uk: M2R RF125 RF140 RF160 Pit Bike Front 17" Wheel Black Spokes Red Nipples £45 for wheel incl tyre and tube. Hub takes a 35mm bearing. Mounting "lugs" on the hub are 100mm PCD.
==========================================================================
Hello, Stefann!
An interesting and useful idea for presenting CK related products for UK enthusiasts, but for European, too!

It seems to me that information about transport costs could be got only at an inquiry, but that shouldn't be a problem for a serious buyer?
Maybe this link is an easier way to see all of the interesting wheels:

https://www.funbikes.co.uk/sc128_wheels-tyres-inner-tubes#!/filter=true&psize=100

As I could see, the most of the wheels have originally ball-bearings for 15 mm axles?
Could such system be used without changing bearings to bigger I.D. size - for one-side support of an axle?
(for pensioner style of rides over a smooth and flat surface!)

For me- still collecting information and maybe should stay at such a level!
(after 4 years, Serbian government return our pensions at old level, but it seems that we should never get taken money back - around a few thousands of Euros in my case)

Jolly building and driving for more lucky members!

Regards,
Zoran

Zoran R. Pualić
(mostly living in Bern, Swiss & happy in my Belgrade, Serbia)

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Zoran,

The biggest bearings I've found for the 15mm axle wheels (35mm od bearing) are 17mm bore as Stefan is using. For the 12mm axle wheels (37mm od bearing) there are bearings available up to 25mm. That will allow a free running wheel to use bearings rather than having the hub rotating on the axle, so by removing or fitting 4 bolts the wheel can be free or fixed. There will need to be a piece of ptfe sheet or similar between the hub and the brake disc flange to prevent wear.

Attachments:
Bearing sizes.jpg    23.2 KB
Bearing sizes.jpg

Stefann Stefan N
In reply to # 36292 by chrisenamels Zoran,

The biggest bearings I've found for the 15mm axle wheels (35mm od bearing) are 17mm bore as Stefan is using. For the 12mm axle wheels (37mm od bearing) there are bearings available up to 25mm. That will allow a free running wheel to use bearings rather than having the hub rotating on the axle, so by removing or fitting 4 bolts the wheel can be free or fixed. There will need to be a piece of ptfe sheet or similar between the hub and the brake disc flange to prevent wear.

As I've got a 25mm rear axle, my plan for the non driven side is to replace the 35/15 bearings with 35/25 Oilite bushes.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
That'll work fine Stefan, I'd suggest putting a light chamfer on the edges of the keyway where it passes through the bearings, just enough to stop it acting as a scraper.

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
I think using an oilite bearing on the free wheel is an excellent idea. The practice of
running steel against steel just 'rubs me wrong'........pun intended.
I've often thought, just how long that practice would last on something like a machine
tool.
dg

internetcopyshop Avatar
internetcopyshop Internet Copyshop
Bilthoven, Bilthoven, Netherlands   NLD
That will allow a free running wheel to use bearings rather than having the hub rotating on the axle, so by removing or fitting 4 bolts the wheel can be free or fixed.

Ukrobotman Avatar
Ukrobotman Steve Cole
Montgomery, Powys, UK   GBR
Is that front axle an off the shelf one or a special Stefan?

Ukrobotman Avatar
Ukrobotman Steve Cole
Montgomery, Powys, UK   GBR
The pit bike wheels are a good alternative to good old (and I mean old) Honda C70 wheels. I’ve been looking on eBay, old ones are £40 + , new ones much more !
Not sure about the nobbly tyres though, they look a bit off road
Im sure you can buy the wheels without tyres. Tyres are cheap on ebay
I guess you would buy just front wheels ?

Stefann Stefan N
In reply to # 36316 by Ukrobotman Is that front axle an off the shelf one or a special Stefan?

Not quite either. I have the impression that its a standard product that Gemini Karts might introduce, but at the moment I think they are making them to order.

Stefann Stefan N
In reply to # 36317 by Ukrobotman The pit bike wheels are a good alternative to good old (and I mean old) Honda C70 wheels. I’ve been looking on eBay, old ones are £40 + , new ones much more !
Not sure about the nobbly tyres though, they look a bit off road
Im sure you can buy the wheels without tyres. Tyres are cheap on ebay
I guess you would buy just front wheels ?

I'm really pleased with the way the wheels are turning out and the price including tubes and tyres gets me on the road. Eventually I want to go with a wider tyre with a more period looking tread. The wider tyre should give that slightly bulging look and a deeper profile.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1911 CycleKart Race Car

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links