Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

What did you do on your CycleKart Today?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

CaptJimmO Avatar
CaptJimmO Gold Member James J O'Donnell
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
1972 BMC Racecar "BUGSPRY"
2001 CycleKart Lightweight "Dag"
2006 Other Custom "BandAid Car"
Hi Dennis,

um, what is the thru bore on that lathe of yours? I have an opportunity to pick up a Clausing bench lathe but I think it only has a bore of ¾", not much fun trying to machine 1" axles etc.

All my freight has arrived from NZ, so now it is time to start this Austin Seven build. I will post regular pics etc.

JimmO

"just another colourful stitch in the rich tapestry of life"

CK Skunk Werks, Mission BC

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Good Morning Jimmo
Please go to Chat Room...and I hope Pat will join us.
I will be there until 9:00 am
Brian

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
Evening Brian,

Yes I've got 90% of what I need, the rest I can get locally as I need it. Depending on how quickly I get on I might build a lifting workbench before I start. I need to get on fairly quickly so I can collect the boards for the workshop floor and walls. The van is going in for repair sometime, since some idiot reversed out of a parking space into the passenger door yesterday, fortunately his insurance is paying.

Chris

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <

Attachments:
20190206_132136.jpg    18.7 KB
20190206_132136.jpg

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
It's not that I don't think, it's that I know, that no one and no one I know could hold a candle
to the work that Chuck is producing. He is truly a craftsman of the first caliber and very
innovative with his designs and presentation. I bow to him in respect.

Jim, a Clausing lathe is dang near the Cadillac of tool room lathes. My little 10" Logan is
a hobby lathe compared to one of those. I'd jump on it if I were you. 3/4 thru the spindle
is nothing to sneeze at. Over the past decades, I've very, very rarely needed to run anything thru the
spindle, unless of course, you're planning on using it for full size truck or car work.
For the very few times that you would need to run an axle thru the spindle, I'd simply take it
to a shop to have the turning done.

Chris, I'm using as much of what I learned from building two airplanes as I can. The pedals
like most of the sub-frame structure is .035" 4130 Chrome Molly, much of what was left over
from building the planes.

Denny G

Woodysrods Avatar
Well, Idid work almost exclusively on the CycleKart "Ice Racer" today. But had a little 58 Suburban
thrown in to the mix, with some rust repair??eye rolling smiley
But, I did manage to trim a little more metal of and fabricate more to go back one...she is starting to
to be like a woman loosing the diet war.........take some off.....put more on...!!!!!
Anyways....progress was made, even if it wasn't as much as I had hoped for again!confused smiley
Getting ready to move on to the next phase.....The Body!
Brian

CaptJimmO Avatar
CaptJimmO Gold Member James J O'Donnell
Abbotsford, BC, Canada   CAN
1972 BMC Racecar "BUGSPRY"
2001 CycleKart Lightweight "Dag"
2006 Other Custom "BandAid Car"
Good morning all/Brian,

sorry mate, I missed your chat room invite. I was busy out in the workshop trying to complete the last few items we want before cleaning out completely and then start my build. I will try and update a little further this evening.

I am returning to Abby for the weekend. I need to pick up some steel and a piece of aluminum sheet for the bomber seat.

Fun days ahead . . . . .

JimmO

"just another colourful stitch in the rich tapestry of life"

CK Skunk Werks, Mission BC

Woodysrods Avatar
Good Morning JimmO
.040 works great!

Attachments:
P5220587.JPG    43.1 KB
P5220587.JPG

P2241646.JPG    47.1 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Say Woody, all that is on the horizon for me, maybe you could elaborate on how that
seat was made. Did you roll the ribs in after you formed the curve in the wrapper or
before?
Denny G

Woodysrods Avatar
Forum seems to be down.......as my last two posts did not go out!

Woodysrods Avatar
Okay, maybe it was because I tried to attach a picture?

Attachments:
P5220584.JPG    45.4 KB
P5220584.JPG

P5220586.JPG    34.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Woodysrods Avatar
Okay, seems to be working again?
I cut the seat out of .040 5052 Aluminum with my plasma cutter, then if I remember right
we laid out the beads, then hand formed the seat over my Argo bottle, before rolling the
beads in the back, sides and around the outer edge (did this with my son)....whole process
took about an hour after we were satisfied with the paper template. drafting and layout was
the hardest part of the whole process.
Brian

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Thanks Brian. It would make sense that any forming after the beads were rolled into the panel
would be flattened out during the forming of larger radius. Even though rolling the beads
into the panel would tend to do the same thing but to a minor degree. I'm wondering if
it would help to constrain the larger radius during the bead forming.
This is a similar challenge that I'm anticipating when putting the louvers into a curved panel.
That's one that I've yet to figure out but will be facing, hopefully early this Summer.
Tks again for expanding on your process.
Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

Oh.....and that rust free Kaiser-Frazer gasser does indeed look.....rust free. I can't believe the
climate up by you is that dry??? At my old house, the one I moved from in 2012, my 45x42x12
hanger was air tight. Had insulation, a vapor barrier, and a steel liner inside with no windows.
I had two dehumidifiers running for 25 years and it was always dry in there. In all that time
I never had a single spot of rust on any of my machine tools or anything else in there.
The barn here at Shangri La is a different story. Can't keep the rust away in spite of maintaining
a low of 40° and actually warmer than that most of the winter. Way to many leaks to try and
dry it out with dehumidifiers.
DG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2019-02-08 06:02 PM by Denny Graham.

Woodysrods Avatar
I fished up most of the welding on the frame the other night, then came in from the cold CK shop to
the warmth of the main shop to fabricate my upper steering mount and drill holes in it. Yes, it is in my
nature to drill holes in things!eye rolling smiley
Also made the pedal mount that I had planned for my Ice Racer? It is lighter than the bolt in style mount
I made as an accessory for the spec frames I am making.
Speaking of weld in? With the exception of the calliper slider (for go kart stye manual calliper) nothing
is "bolted" together!grinning smiley Even that could hav been welded on.....God I love welding!smiling bouncing smiley
Nothing will vibrate loose and fall off on this baby!thumbs up
Going to make my front suspension mounts today.
Good Roads
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Sit down man, I have some disturbing news.
I don't know how to tell you this, but you're about to install an engine, Tav, differential, brake and throttle systems and pedals, fuel tank, tie-rods, spindles, steering shaft, steering wheel, the other 4 wheels, and assorted additional tiny bits that will be...Gasp! Bolted in!
How do you expect the thing to make it to the end of the driveway before it all falls off?

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
And.......
dg

Attachments:
High Strength 270 Locktite.jpg    10.6 KB
High Strength 270 Locktite.jpg

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1930 CycleKart Great Britain

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links