CKC

CycleKart Tech Forum

Wheel options

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
Just thinking about my build and the wheel options. I want to build a land speed replica and they don’t use spike wheels.

I could use the trail 90 wheels and buy tires. Then make spoke covers But the price for all this is very high. Can I use an automotive space saver spare? They are free for me. Have good tread and are 125mm wide. 22 inch high. The tire is a 125/70-16.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
In reply to # 36196 by Darkhorse Just thinking about my build and the wheel options. I want to build a land speed replica and they don’t use spike wheels.

I could use the trail 90 wheels and buy tires. Then make spoke covers But the price for all this is very high. Can I use an automotive space saver spare? They are free for me. Have good tread and are 125mm wide. 22 inch high. The tire is a 125/70-16.
Not in keeping with the CycleKart Formula!eye rolling smiley
Once you step outside the basic Formula, you are NOT building a "CycleKart" anymore and have limited your opportunity to play with others???
Do you homework before entering int a CycleKart build.
As for cost........these are cheap fun already.
If you read the description and rules, you will find that we are not allowed to spend more than $2500.00 on your build.
This is easily done, even with brand new tires and wheels from VKC.
If you like the Bonneville disc look you can do what Dennis did on his Monocar.
Good Roads
Brian

Attachments:
P6151820.JPG    38.1 KB
P6151820.JPG

P6161838.JPG    37.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
Thank you for the response.
I tend to think outside the box. And I realize the box on this case is small. But I wanted to ask. Thanks again.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Trust me! Even though there is a "Formula"..........it is all about thinking outside of the box and finding
ingenious ways to "repurpose" things to make your 3/4 scale 20's - 30's style race car!
Building is a big part of the fun! thumbs up
But racing these simple, but unique, little race cars.......?????hot smileyhot smiley
Good Luck with your build.
Brian

Woodysrods Avatar
Oh......"They make you feel young again!"
Woody

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
I feel like I’m 18. Don’t know who the old fart is in the mirror.

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
Really, when you look at one of these....the only thing "cycle" about one is the wheels and tires..so if you stray from that, what is it then?

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
I understand
So the Honda trail 90 wheels are the only wheels to use?Or can I use any 17 inch spoked motorcycle wheel. I have access to a lot of junk.

Racie35 Avatar
Racie35 Bruce T
Terre Haute, IN, USA   USA
In reply to # 36204 by Darkhorse I understand
So the Honda trail 90 wheels are the only wheels to use?Or can I use any 17 inch spoked motorcycle wheel. I have access to a lot of junk.

I'd imagine anything similar.

Welcome Eric,

It sounds like with your questions you are wanting to make a 1 off cycle-cart for your personal recreation and not necessarily follow the formula as mentioned above with a intent on racing in organized events, This is a question and observation. If you think your in the first category and not the second I suggest you look at some of the builds on the Custom cycle carts sub forum here on this site. There has been a fellow that used the doughnut spares and it worked real well according to his posts.

I would also suggest that you read posts from the past with the search function, it will bring up a great amount of info that will take you down many rabbit holes as you research the details.

Ether way were not trying to discourage you here ( some folks come off rough on the edges, but it's nothing to get worked up about) just possibly saving you some time and frustration on the research to the build that you plan to undertake.

Good luck and keep us informed as you progress.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris smiling smiley

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
Thanks
I’m in the second catagory. I would build it to the formula. I would haul it to any event I could. Maybe my wife would drive. I found the wheels on eBay for 119 a set. New that is not so bad. I will also need to buy a welder of my own.
And a trailer to carry the car. I was just looking at one of those donuts and thinking . Still reading the forum and plans.
Think I want to build a Bugatti or something landspeed related. Still just looking around at options

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
Any 17 x 1.40 dirtbike wheel is fine. Even 16s if they fit better.
I use Kawasaki wheels, and I know of some Suzuki rims out there too.
The space savers are pretty heavy, by comparison.

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
Thanks I think you are correct about the weight part. If I can get four new rims for 250 plus tires than I will do that. Right now I just need to do a TON of research . That is also the most inexpensive thing to do

platypus-oz Avatar
platypus-oz stewart s
nowra, nsw, Australia   AUS
Wheels are wheels dont matter where they came from ,free is good.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1929 CycleKart Italian

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links