Visit our Twitter feed for more great content
CKC

The Pub - Off Topic

CK in northen Virginia\Maryland?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Any CK people in the northern VA\MD area? My garage is finally clearing out and I want to fill it with a CK or two, but I want to see if there is even one other person running one currently. Running solo on anything is a bit of a drag.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
No lie. It will be lonely at first.
But, as has been said here countless times, somebody's got to go first if you want cyclekart
action in your area. Just build, and give lots of test drives. The real trick is a good place to
run. Not everyone has the stomach for racing around deserted warehouse lots and such.
The things aren't universally welcomed to run everywhere, of course.
There is often a certain clandestine nature to cyclekart operations?

jcny Avatar
jcny Silver Member John Corey
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
1927 CycleKart French "Sam"
1934 CycleKart Italian "Tazio"
You are welcome up here: Come to the Northeast's First Meet June 3 (see it under EVENTS on this site)! jc

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
AYMERICRDV Aymeric De Vazeille
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Hello,

I am actually in Leesburg as well and am interested if we could get something like this going. Still interested?

M.

jcny Avatar
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
Or come up and join us at the Second Northeast Fall Meet in October (see Events tab, October 6). We'll welcome you as honorary Northeasters!

Builder: John 'the Fierce' Corey, aka Lord Emile Salmson (or Lordy Miles On Some)

rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Absolutely. I have such a collection of weird parts from a variety of things, I'm sure I could knock something together. What did you have in mind?

jcny Avatar
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
Are you asking me in NY or Aymeric in Leesburg?

In reply to # 34851 by rctankboy2 Absolutely. I have such a collection of weird parts from a variety of things, I'm sure I could knock something together. What did you have in mind?

rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Heh, I apologize for not being specific. Initially and primarily Im asking AYMERICRDV , though Im not opposed to a fun discussion in email about collections of parts. grinning smiley

AYMERICRDV Aymeric De Vazeille
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
In reply to # 34866 by rctankboy2 Heh, I apologize for not being specific. Initially and primarily Im asking AYMERICRDV , though Im not opposed to a fun discussion in email about collections of parts. grinning smiley

Hello Keith,

I am not sure yet. I think we need to first kind of do a survey of the area and see if could find somewhere to race first. I know that in western Loudoun county there are areas and farms where you could do it if you know a willing landowner. I would hate to spend a year building a Kart only to have to travel up to NY (not that I don't like traveling up to that beautiful state ;-) )

Where in Leesburg are you roughly located? I am close to the Costco...so you can see not a type of neighborhood where kart racing would be welcomed ...

Regards,

M.

rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
Aymeric,
I live about 20 minutes from there, so its no bother to come into the 'burg.

I repeatedly hear the words "just build it" but honestly, if I'm gonna invest time and around $2000 in something, I want to know I'm going to wear it out with one or more other people. I think you're in the same boat as me, but with 'location' as the main issue.

I actually just thought of a place that I could scope out...hmmm....HAHAHAHHA the joke ...oh my gosh it just entered my head...this entire sentence wont make sense to anyone..hahahah

Ill try to sum it up, but why its funny wont make it through; I'll need to BUILD one to show the land owner. This hit me as I started on the last sentence and Im laughing for real. grinning smiley

I think the bigger hurdle, and this is purely my opinion, is building the things first. I believe if you build it its far easier to show someone and have them get what it is you're trying to do. Also, I also believe it will be easy to FIND a place in Loudoun or even heading east. Maybe we end up farther west to Winchester or up routes 81, 15, or 9 into MD? Waterford would be a perfect setting for them if it weren't for the tourist traffic screaming down a 25mph road at 55mph >sad smiley

Forgive me for digressing. We can find a place, I'm sure of it. Mull it over, let me know.

rctankboy2 Keith G
Leesburg, VA, USA   USA
jcny,

1) I *am* going to hit one of your NY events, one way or another, count on it.

2) I got so many freaking parts I *could* use that feature-creep is a real problem. However, what I have in mind is aimed at weight reduction and the shifting of complexity from the rear of the car to the front. (Safety is in there, I promise.)

I want to build a FWD\Front engine Trike, with a differential, suspension, and brakes. (I'm bracing for the *it wont work" and\or the other myriad detractions).

Yeah, its a pretty complex build for a first timer, and I agree. However, when I am properly motivated, things do get done. As for the enguhneering, I've done other complex designs in other mediums (albeit smaller), and Dennis T's Youtube vids are chock-a-block full of details. Lastly, I have some local resources I can call on to consult if needed.

While I already have the Pred 212cc, I just heard about the Tillerson 212 that comes 10hp out of the box and the reviews seem strongly positive. GoPowerSports has them for about $179.
Making the body has been the blocker for me, to be honest. I want it to look good, but weight is my enemy. I couldnt really figure out how I was going to make a durable body, possibly with some complex curves with the skills I have or could pick up with the time\money I have available; this is when I learned about Poor Mans Fiberclass (PMF). So *now* I am thinking about a body design.
PMF is a forgiving medium for mistakes, as it is relatively inexpensive. This is GREAT for me.

PMF, for anyone who doesn't know, is exterior paint and some kind of cloth; laid over foam or wood. It doesnt replace fiberglass, of course, but it does work. Go to youtube and search for it, and youll learn all you need to know.

I have three matching wheels (two rears, one front), two of which are on an old 69 honda 160cc bike, which will be a donor for a lot of parts. I have plenty of scrap wood, pulleys, motors, nuts, bolts, scrap steel, glue, screws etc. A mig if welding is necessary(no skill, but I got the mig. HA!)

So all that is really missing is a place to build it in the 'workshop' and motivation. Not quite "No tools, No Plan, No problem" but, eh, I love to bodge things until they work or work better.

So, yeah, that's the short version.

jcny Avatar
Melrose, NY, USA   USA
GRRREAT! C'mon Up! And I think a Mog-tribute trike would be Killin'! That said, I built a PMF body on a Fiat 500 drivetrain waaay back in the day. Didn't turn out too pretty. May I suggest that a prewar Mog body (the kind with a spare tire at the rear) needs no compound curves and can readily be made from good plywood arches and flat aluminum sheets from your local DIY store?

jc

In reply to # 34994 by rctankboy2 jcny,

1) I *am* going to hit one of your NY events, one way or another, count on it.

2) I got so many freaking parts I *could* use that feature-creep is a real problem. However, what I have in mind is aimed at weight reduction and the shifting of complexity from the rear of the car to the front. (Safety is in there, I promise.)

I want to build a FWD\Front engine Trike, with a differential, suspension, and brakes. (I'm bracing for the *it wont work" and\or the other myriad detractions).

Yeah, its a pretty complex build for a first timer, and I agree. However, when I am properly motivated, things do get done. As for the enguhneering, I've done other complex designs in other mediums (albeit smaller), and Dennis T's Youtube vids are chock-a-block full of details. Lastly, I have some local resources I can call on to consult if needed.

While I already have the Pred 212cc, I just heard about the Tillerson 212 that comes 10hp out of the box and the reviews seem strongly positive. GoPowerSports has them for about $179.
Making the body has been the blocker for me, to be honest. I want it to look good, but weight is my enemy. I couldnt really figure out how I was going to make a durable body, possibly with some complex curves with the skills I have or could pick up with the time\money I have available; this is when I learned about Poor Mans Fiberclass (PMF). So *now* I am thinking about a body design.
PMF is a forgiving medium for mistakes, as it is relatively inexpensive. This is GREAT for me.

PMF, for anyone who doesn't know, is exterior paint and some kind of cloth; laid over foam or wood. It doesnt replace fiberglass, of course, but it does work. Go to youtube and search for it, and youll learn all you need to know.

I have three matching wheels (two rears, one front), two of which are on an old 69 honda 160cc bike, which will be a donor for a lot of parts. I have plenty of scrap wood, pulleys, motors, nuts, bolts, scrap steel, glue, screws etc. A mig if welding is necessary(no skill, but I got the mig. HA!)

So all that is really missing is a place to build it in the 'workshop' and motivation. Not quite "No tools, No Plan, No problem" but, eh, I love to bodge things until they work or work better.

So, yeah, that's the short version.

Attachments:
1935 Morgan-Matchless-4.jpg    72.8 KB
1935 Morgan-Matchless-4.jpg

1935 MOG cutaway.jpg    51.3 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

2017 CycleKart Stevenson

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links