The Pub - Off Topic

Hello from Iowa

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
Hello all
I just stumbled on Cyclekart racing and it looks like fun. I’m not sure how far I will go with this. I am a land speed racer. I run a small motorcycle in one mile speed trials and go to Bonneville salt flats. I really found the building interesting. I like to fiddle in my work shop. But funds are a little tight at the moment. I would like to build a land speed record car from the 1930s. There are a couple that would be very cool. I will be lurking on the forum. Just watching videos and keeping my eyes open.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Welcome Eric
Well if have a love for 30's race cars and like to create things with your own hands in you own shop,
you have definitely come to the right place!thumbs up
And there is also the "Budget"??
Again, something that has attracted most of us (car guys) to this hobby.
I have been to Bonneville a couple of times myself, and am currently drafting and planning a Salt Flats
inspired CycleKart, as chasing records at Bonneville is very expensive!eye rolling smiley
CycleKarts have a $2500 limit set on them if you intend to race them.
You can be a creative as you want or keep your build a simple as you want and still have "Fun" playing with
others who are trying to relive the days when life was much simpler!
Please post your ideas and build progress if you choose to take the plunge.
Good Roads
Woody

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
Thank you
I have a couple issues. One is my commitment to land speed racing. That eats most of my money. Actually I spend all my money on racing and waste the rest.

I also am exhausted from traveling to events. I just can’t keep going across the country to play. If something like 300 miles was available I would be tempted. Or maybe I can do the 2000 mile round trip. We will see.

As for a Cyclekart at Bonneville. That would be fun. Don’t know the engine size limit for a car . But I’ll look into it. I race with the east coast timing association . I think it would be a feasible thing to run a 6.5 hp car in a mile.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-11-06 02:38 PM by Darkhorse.

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 36112 by Darkhorse Thank you
I have a couple issues. One is my commitment to land speed racing. That eats most of my money. Actually I spend all my money on racing and waste the rest.

I also am exhausted from traveling to events. I just can’t keep going across the country to play. If something like 300 miles was available I would be tempted. Or maybe I can do the 2000 mile round trip. We will see.

As for a Cyclekart at Bonneville. That would be fun. Don’t know the engine size limit for a car . But I’ll look into it. I race with the east coast timing association . I think it would be a feasible thing to run a 6.5 hp car in a mile.

I said "Bonneville Inspired" CycleKart.
Our CycleKarts would never pass "Safety Rules and Regulations" required at Bonneville.
And once everyone started to keep uping the "CycleKart Record" (if they did create a class) our CyleKarts would start to morph,
more money would be required, and it would just suck all of the FUN out of the hobby.
My Bonneville inspired CycleKart will be the replacement for the 200 mph real one I had always planned to build, but never had the
time or funds to do so. And at 66 my need to go 200 + mph across the salt has diminished.
52 mph in a totally unsafe but fun 3/4 scale race car is more in my wheelhouse these days! smileys with beer
Good Roads
Brian
PS
I have a good friend that is currently building a Bonneville Streamliner that sucks away every penny he has....and has been forced to
continue working to support his Race Cars (Drag Racer)...and he is 75 years old! Still driving 100 mile round trip and punching the clock
5 days a week.eye rolling smiley

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
You are exactly correct on all counts. I have played many games and know when the fun gets sucked out of it.

The one mile thing is doable. BUT Just a roll cage and harness and fire system would add weight and cost and suck like you said.

My personal idea would be Malcom Campbell’s Sunbeam . Or maybe BABS there are so many possibility’s. It is fun just thinking about it.

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 36116 by Darkhorse You are exactly correct on all counts. I have played many games and know when the fun gets sucked out of it.

The one mile thing is doable. BUT Just a roll cage and harness and fire system would add weight and cost and suck like you said.

My personal idea would be Malcom Campbell’s Sunbeam . Or maybe BABS there are so many possibility’s. It is fun just thinking about it.
The "Blue Bird" would make a very cool CycleKart.........Love historic racers!thumbs up
Woody

Darkhorse Avatar
Darkhorse Eric Roehrle
Iowa city, IA, USA   USA
I think I will spend a good amount of time looking learning and dreaming. I’m new to Iowa and need to save up winter projects. I think I can do it next winter.

chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
In reply to # 36116 by Darkhorse Or maybe BABS there are so many possibility’s. It is fun just thinking about it.

Babs is an interesting one, she spends about half the year roughly 40 miles from me at Pendine, must make the effort to get down there next year and take some photos.

Chris

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1912 CycleKart American

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links