The Pub - Off Topic

He's got the hands!

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Came in for a bite of lunch and while it was warming up, thought I'd do a little research
on the web to see if I could find out why my last word dial indicator was sticking. See, I
was indicating the mill vice in and I figured it might be sticky because it was only 40°F
out there in the barn. I'm making up a new driven sprocket for my weld positioner, still
don't have it down slow enough for that real fine work and I need to bore the ID on the
new sprocket. Also making up a couple of end stops for my motorcycle wheel balancer.
When I was working on those CT90 rims, it had a tendency to wonder with the
half arsed bump stops it had. As usual, just one more item to make your Harbor Freight
tool work the way it should have when you unboxed it.
So...that indicator.....I ran across this short U-tube video of a watchmaker repairing
a dial indicator, and since it's a pretty slow day round the forum, thought some of
you mechanical types would enjoy it. Now.....if only I can muster up the nerve to
unscrew the back off 'n my nice old L.S. Starrett last word indicator..........!
DG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
chrisenamels Avatar
chrisenamels Silver Member Chris Brown
Llangadog, Carmarthenshire, UK   GBR
I'd take the back off Denny, and just oil the working parts with some watchmakers oil. Work it back and fro to distribute the oil and see if that cures it, I certainly wouldn't do a full strip down.

Chris

bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
I would use alcohol 90% and wipe down the shaft and move it in and out wet; to clean gunk out of the bushing, let dry (higher % is alcohol is better)
When dry, put a tiny bit of wd40 on finger and rub shaft, then move in and out to lube bushing.

Wd40 wont gum up like some oils..

Does this need a NSFW label grinning smiley

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
bansil Doug H
Mnt City, USA   USA
Fyi, if you have small rubber orings, you can put one on the shaft under the top to help with shock if you let plunger go by accident
This one has one

Attachments:
dial-indicator-km-130-teclock_1478935994_en.jpg    22.4 KB
dial-indicator-km-130-teclock_1478935994_en.jpg

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Oh I'm not serious about putting any serious time into getting it working. Got a couple of
spares. Even if I had to go out and buy another indicator (China made),they're
only around $50 and I've found for home use they are just as accurate as any.
I don't think there are any precision tools made in the states any more.

Not that kind of an indicator Doug. A last word or test indicator is different
than those plunger type. Generally only range 0-15 thousands.

Not seriously looking for any answers, I simply posted this because I watched this
watch maker working with envy, I used to have 'hands' like that, but with all the
broken wrists and fingers and old age I've lost almost all of my manual dexterity.
Oh to be young again!!!
DG

classical-gas Scot Laughlin
Bellingham, WA, USA   USA
The watch and clock guys talk about a new lube with buckyballs in it...molecular size ball bearings. Some of then swear it's the ultimate oil for fine clockworks. Much discussion ensues...

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/experimenting-with-nano-lube-oil.74673/page-7

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links