The Pub - Off Topic

Hot patch?

AutoShrine Sponsor
AutoShrine Sponsor

Denny Graham Gold Member Dennis Graham
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1950 Chevrolet 3600 "Old Blue"
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Well.....I just had a talking to by one of the kids here on the forum. Got a call last night
from one of our more liberal members, first time I've talked with him and I guess an
apology is in order for my last temper tantrum. Sorry guys but I'm a delicate flower
and can't take to much abuse.
Still, I've been following the forum, pretty much with a closed mouth and even had
to bite my tongue a few times, or should I say bite my fingers to keep from getting
into the fray.
Been super busy with the up keep here at Shangri la and acquired a few new tools
for the shop this Summer that needed my attention.
I haven't driven my old '50 chevy truck this year because I needed to rebuild some
parts to get her back on the road. It was just a generator that was the hold up but
when I finally broke down and made time for the rebuild it ended up my acquiring
7 generators and 6 starters, which.....of course, I just had to tear all of them apart
and begin a rebuild of them. Ya never know when you might need another one
and NAPA don't keep rebuilt starters & generators on the shelf now a days.

This forum, which seems to be the Mecca for the Cyclekart movement, has really
been dead this Summer. Also there has been some talk about how the movement
appears to be on the wane this year. From my outside vantage point, Tieton seems
to be teetering also. I'm hearing rumblings from a few sources that a lot of the town's,
rather small population aren't so happy about the long weekend inconvenience and
the fears that the boys competitive nature is beginning to show its head in spite of the
warnings. As I've said in the past, it's just natural for grown men to express their need
to out do the competition, if restraints are imposed, most will loose interest.

Arizona CycleKartClub has been pretty quiet also for the past month or so. Must be the
heat, after all, when it's 110°F outside, who wants to go play on an asphalt parking lot.

Haven't heard much about Dennis T's Studebaker, wonder how that's coming along?

Brian's got so many irons in the fire this Summer he's not gonna have time to finish
the Miller in time for his Canadian Grand Prix, which also hasn't been talked about
much recently. That still on the schedule??

So......is that enough to get some conversation going??? Hope so, cuz I gotta head
out to the garage and get the wheels back on Old Blue. I need that old Stovebolt
to haul some goods back from Menards, then I gotta spend a couple days mowin'.

Denny Graham
Sandwich, IL

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Woodysrods Avatar
Woodysrods Silver Member Brian Woods
Westbank B.C., Canada   CAN
Hi Denny
I too hope this new thread will get some people talking again.
But, with Slyme Dawg and the renewed discussion re: Tieton (and it is far from dead!) there ahas been some good banter here lately!
I don't know where you read that small towns are not happy about having this type of event......I have yet to hear anything like that.
As a matter of fact, it seems just the opposite! From the people I have spoken with, more and more small towns would love to have or include this type of activity on their community schedule. Anything to bring money into the town is usually welcomed.
And yes, I have too many irons in the fire, and am the first to admit it....we have 24 Teardrop trailers starting to arrive this afternoon, for a week long event here at my Shangri la. Then we are off to Yakima for a Rod Run, back for a wedding, then hoping to attend Some Dawg on the 11th. So not much time to work on the CK....oh and did I mention I just bought a 1962 MGA MkII as project car for something to do in my spare time??eye rolling smiley But did get my hay cut, raked and baled, yard watered, and lawns mowed this past week Hope to get the Shower house painted today before the first trailer arrives, along with some more landscaping, prunning, trip to the dump, wiring, and a new deck top for the saloon.
Might squeeze in the fabricating and painting of the lowing blocks and new U bolts to lower the rear of my MGTF (which we are driving to Yakima next week) also.
Sure hope there is time for a cold beer sometime in this day, as it is in the mid 90's here.
We need a progress report on your CK!
Good Roads
Brian

Attachments:
P7221842.JPG    30.6 KB
P7221842.JPG

P5241821.JPG    69.6 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
P7221841.JPG    61.2 KB
Sign In or Register to view this photo
Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
Like you Brian, to many other things taking priority over the yard kart.
I'll get back to it this fall. Life around here is not as simple as working
on the things I'd like to. Must put first things first you know, and right
now the kart is way down on the list. And what the hey....there tain't
nothin' goin on round these parts with cyclekarts anyway.

Oh....and because of confidentiality of sources I can't reveal where I
heard the gossip.
DG

. Hide banner ads & support this website by becoming a > Gold Supporting Member <
Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
No worries our conversation was filled with my views of things for sure.
Al

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
Federal Way, WA, USA   USA
1950 CycleKart Italian "1950 Ferrari 166 F2"
So, If I understand correctly, someone has direct knowledge of residents in Tieton who do not
approve of our event taking place there? I have heard nothing to indicate that.
From merchants and local residents coming out to watch and take pictures, to people in they're yards who wave as you drive by on the parade laps, folks have been pretty cool all in all.

Of course, there's always a grump who hates all fun, but hey..

Sandwich, IL, USA   USA
1954 Chevrolet 3600
See Al....this is why I bailed a couple of months ago!
Everybody in town must have just loved ya'll Dave, love, love, love, nothin' but love....good luck.

DG

JTremain Avatar
JTremain Justin Tremain
Oak HArbor, WA, USA   USA
1927 Nash Legion Special "Legion Special"
In the past I've definitely heard that not all welcome the grand Prix weekend. I'm sure the businesses enjoy the boost in revenue though. Hopefully they continue to allow us to run!

I don't have much progress with my build at the moment between starting a new job, having a new born, remodeling the master bathroom, working on my 67 Camaro, and buying 5 acres of land. I try to get a couple hours here and there. Hoping it's together enough for slime dawg next month! Here's the most recent pic on my phone...

Cheers smileys with beer

"Magic Man"

1927 Nash Modified: Legion Special
"Build" Thread - https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,26661

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-23 08:22 PM by JTremain.

Attachments:
IMG_20180716_185854_691.jpg    105.2 KB
IMG_20180716_185854_691.jpg

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
So then, denny.
You bailed on the forum a couple months ago, why?
Because someone, rather than accepting armchair hearsay, requested specifics about a potential growing problem. I'm not calling anyone out here, for heaven's sake. I'm not asking to reveal a confidential source.
As someone who was Involved a little more deeply in the event this year, I am genuinely more interested in
the health of the thing. What I am not interested in, are B.S. rumors that threaten to quietly undermine enthusiasm for the hobby.

Want to know what the real problem is for this thing is?
Not enough finished and visible cyclekarts. Plenty of talk, all right. But not enough karts with owners willing to show up and run them.

Notso-Chinsee Avatar
Notso-Chinsee Gold Member Albert Lies
Spokane Valley, Washington (WA), USA   USA
1927 CycleKart American
1938 CycleKart American "Burd Piston Ring Special"
The conversation was with me read up above your first post, Sorry Dave and Brian you are right that many towns are willing but If you don't know a problem exists life is good than one asks why what happened. I overheard that the two Friday events were changes one was moved to Saturday (it was on Saturday in previous years) and the other was canceled because of a complaint about traffic congestion on the road. You are correct that many of towns people welcomed us but that does not change the statement made about one individual in previous years and we need to address it within the racers. The effort put into the Tieton event each year is a daunting task I am sure. Finding teams or individuals willing to manage each event can be a challenge simply because of the work involved in doing one. I am not an organizer I have and will continue to help in any way I can in the future.

Al Lies
The "Not-So Chinsee" guy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-23 10:03 PM by Notso-Chinsee.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
I was specifically addressing this statement, which suggests a more worrisome situation.

I'm hearing rumblings from a few sources that a lot of the town's,
rather small population aren't so happy about the long weekend inconvenience and
the fears that the boys competitive nature is beginning to show its head in spite of the
warnings.

That doesn't sound like "one individual from previous years" to me. Is that what it sounds like to anyone else?

The Gordon Bennett was cancelled because permission to run it's route could not be obtained.

Woodysrods Avatar
My wish is that the Gittreville Group was more a part of "This Forum" and I am sure they were in the past.
It would make communications, suggestions, volunteering, etc. much easier for a good number of the participants at
Tieton, that are not members of Gittreville.
But for now we need to work towards keeping Tieton one of the premier CK events in the world.
Brian

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
They are an enigmatic bunch of cats.
For the most part, they;
Don't like the forum.
Don't communicate much.
Don't show at non G'ville events.

But, they DO organize Tieton year after year.
What do you do?

Woodysrods Avatar
In reply to # 34401 by CmdBentaxle They are an enigmatic bunch of cats.
For the most part, they;
Don't like the forum.
Don't communicate much.
Don't show at non G'ville events.

But, they DO organize Tieton year after year.
What do you do?
Hi Dave
I don't know whether or how you my have taken my post as any kind of slur or negative comment against the Gittreville group, or if it was even me that your above comment was aimed at???
But, I DO the same as you DO at Tieton, and have DONE so the past 2 years since my attendance 3 years ago!
I Pay my full Registration Fee, I Participate in as many events as I can, I Marshall more events than I drive in, and I Volunteer to help wherever and whenever I am needed! More than all lot of other "Participants" DO!
But, if you found my comment misleading, I am Sorry for that! As it was meant to be positive, and to encourage others to get behind the Tieton Organizers with suggestions and support to make it an even better event than it already is.
I had hoped to write more in that post , but was interrupted and had to cut it short (which may have also attributed to your misinterpretation of the post) and now after your comment I feel I can not go back and edit it as I had planned to do once my company left and I was able to get back to the Forum!
I feel that this is a good thread, as is Tieton 2019, for us to drum up support and rally the troops for next years event.
Let's work together on this!
Good Roads
Brian

Rhysn Rhys Nolan
Tamworth, Staffordshire, UK   GBR
G'ville guys in general communicate at the lunch table as many of them work together. I was told that many of them keep watch but a number of the posts in years back put them off bothering to post. They are all involved in a very intense business, and unlike us (semi)retired folks don't have to while away their days, they have enough trouble finding time to sleep.
Dave took on the Campbell Cup this year, last I was supposed to do the hillclimb, folks who were there will know what happened and why it didn't proceed. Even getting corner marshalls is an exercise in itself, did all the participants do their duties? I know in 2017 it didn't as I missed 2 of my heats as the replacement didn't turn up. (I did have one resident not too happy as her yard sale was disrupted, but I bought something off her and she smiled) After one of the early Tietons the GP had to be moved to appease the church goers.
I was told that there were 2 reasons for the non running of the Gordon Bennett, one was residents who didn't like the road closure, the other was the very high insurance cost, which in 2017 had been subsidised, rather than charge the entrants to cover it.

Why is there an issue? I didn't understand that it is compulsory to keep posting, if there is something I fell I can contribute, I will. If the subject doesn't interest me I won't.

In regard communication with G'ville, I'm guessing that everybody who had invitations received them by email, so an email address is in your mail, and not all washing needs to be done in public.

Please note, this post crossed Woody's one, his arrived as mine hit the forum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-07-24 02:18 AM by Rhysn.

CmdBentaxle Avatar
CmdBentaxle Dave D
No Brian, sorry for the confusion. When I asked, what do you do? I meant what is a guy supposed to do about communicating with G / V? Using voice to text now while driving so I better wait till later.

To add your reply, or post your own questions

Registration is FREE and takes less than a minute!

Having trouble posting or changing forum settings?
Read the Forum Help (FAQ) or contact the webmaster

Join The Club

Sign in to ask questions, share photos, and access all website features

Your Karts

1925 CycleKart Speedway Racer

Text Size

Larger Smaller
Reset Save

Sponsor Links